SASS Wire Forum

AT&T network failure

J-BAR #18287

AT&T experienced a widespread problem with their phone connections last week.  I got a text from them apologizing for the problem and promising to do better.

I replied, saying if they could do better in the future, why weren't they already doing it?

So far, no response.

My wife and I looked at one another when it happened.

I said "Looks like we're on our own," and my wife said "What else is new?"

Checked with the neighbors on either side, they were fine: checked in on the local 2-meter ham radio repeater, not everyone was out, so knew I had that commo if we had to summon the cavalry.

Read on the news this morning where AT&T is giving its customers five bucks apiece for their troubles.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Read on the news this morning where AT&T is giving its customers five bucks apiece for their troubles.

I suspect they will be asking for it back to justify costs going up in the name of better cybersecurity.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sounds like another reason to keep the landline as well as the cell. I actually use the landline more than the cell. 

Depends on the landline, if it is the old copper landlines that you're fine.  If they have switched your service over to VOIP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP

then your landline is pretty much only as reliable as your internet.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

AT&T experienced a widespread problem with their phone connections last week.  I got a text from them apologizing for the problem and promising to do better.

I replied, saying if they could do better in the future, why weren't they already doing it?

So far, no response.

Bet it was a SCAMMER. 

34 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Depends on the landline, if it is the old copper landlines that you're fine.  If they have switched your service over to VOIP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP

then your landline is pretty much only as reliable as your internet.

Mine is part of my Cable T.V. system. Bundled with Cable and Interweb, usine the same coax line. 

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet it was a SCAMMER. 

I heard it was Trump’s fault.  :ph34r:

Landline.  I retired from a Telephone Company.  Boss decided to test a newly installed auto transfer switch during on a week day during normal business hours.  Normally we test things like this at 2 AM in case there are unexpected outages.  But he’s the Boss and flip the switch.  Power was to transfer from the electric utility to batteries without any service interruptions.  Instead the entire Central Office lost power, no phones service, no Internet, no 911 rerouting, no special circuits, everything was dead.  Took us an to hour restore all services.  Boss made programming changes to his auto transfer switch and tried again…yep with the same results as the first time.

Then there are the folks who decide Sunday is a good time to dig a hole for a mailbox post without calling in for locates.  Or the County Highway using a front end loader to push snow way back off the pavement without thinking about the telephone pedestals they are cutting off at ground level.  Or the State mowing the telephone pedestal off, picking up the evidence and not bothering to notify us.

AT&T finally admitted that they no longer maintain their landlines infrastructure in most areas.  For decades, they were our sole provider in the location where we live. 

Finally last year, we switched to Starlink.  I've never looked back.  The service is uninterrupted, fast and inexpensive -- the antithesis of AT&T.  

It took 10 months, three registered letters, multiple phone calls and a threat from a lawyer to get AT&T to believe we had quit their service after 40 years, and get them to stop billing us and threatening us with collections. 

AT&T just grew too big and lost control of their company and innumerable foreign sub-contractors.  Every "department" is a different contractor in a different country.  

ATT did a thing on some box that runs on magic smoke. They dropped a stitch and some of the smoke leaked out.  Took a minute to figure out which box was leaking.

Network went wobbly for a bit but they figured it out.  If they give a credit it'll be reflected on the billing originated by ATT so how can it be a scam?

Archived