SASS Wire Forum

Magazines for compact pistols

Alpo

When you buy a spare magazines for compact pistols, do you buy the magazines made for that pistol? Or do you buy magazines made for a larger pistol, as long as they work?

The Colt Officer's Model. It is a chopped version of a standard 1911. Instead of a standard seven round magazines it takes a six round. But the seven round magazines will lock in and work.

I have the one six round magazine that came with gun. All my spares, including the extra ammunition I carry when I'm carrying that gun, are eight round shooting stars. The magazine extends slightly from the bottom of the grip, but that does not detract from the shootability.

I have a PPK. I have the magazines that came with it. But all of the spares I have bought are for a PP, or for PPK/S, which is the same mag. A PPK holds six, while a PP holds seven.

Having the longer magazine in a magazine pouch does not make the gun take up more room.

I just wonder occasionally if I'm the only one that does this.

Oh, one more thing. The Officer's Model magazine - I took a paint stick and wrote SHORT on the side of it. I did this after accidentally putting the short magazine in a full size gun at the range. Doing that at the range was just a funny oops. Doing it in real life could get you killed.

• Like 2

I sometimes carry a 3" .45 1911.

Short mag in the gun, longer mag on the belt.

An extra one ( or 2) rounds don't take up any extra room.

And you never know, you might need them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But the seven round magazines will lock in and work.

It will also lock everything up if you slam it in hard on a reload!   I agree with Choctaw Jack, but my longer mags have spacers on them to keep the magazine from being being driven in to far.

• Like 2

I buy the mags for the gun. 
I had a Glock 26 (Hockey Puck) Everybody loves them. I am not everybody. I traded it for a Colt DS. 
Anyway I tried the longer mags in the 26 and the more I fiddled with that and the different adapters that make the mag a grip extension I didn’t like it. It was now a hockey puck with a pinchy handle. “Pinchy” as in the openings between the gun and the adapter and the floor plate and the adapter pinching me while firing. 
My Colt DS never pinched me. ;)

One suggestion. I would try using a different floor plate for the short mag so you can see it’s different and you can feel it’s different in low light. 

• Like 2

Some years ago when the 10 round magazine limit was in place, Wilson Combat came out with the "Bureaucrat" 10 round 1911 magazine. It had a spacer on it to prevent jamming it too far into the magazine well. If I were to use longer magazines in any of my guns, I would have to have something like that. That being said, I carry an 8 rounder in Bigmouth for EDC, and a spare 8 rounder. As someone who is not an LEO, I figure that I've got myself pretty much covered. The probability of my getting into anything needing a reload at ALL is ridiculously low, needing more than 17 rounds even more so. 

I don't feel undergunned with a 5 round revolver and another 5 rounds at the ready, so I think I'm good to go. 

image.thumb.png.e132a347923a29613146f0ba63d55ebb.png

• Like 2

This isn't really something that should fit with this but I feel the need to tell the story.

Couple years ago I was on another board and I saw this post. Guy said he had a PPK 380 magazine that he had no need for and if anybody wanted it PM him.

And I immediately PMed him.

Then I noticed that he had posted like 14 hours earlier. So I sent him another pm, saying that I suppose someone had already laid claim to it - that I just noticed how long that offer had been up there. And he replied. Said that nobody seemed to want it. He said he had bought it thinking it was for the PK380, but it would not fit. And if I could use it I was welcome to it what was my address.

Four or five days later I get a box. And I sent him another PM saying thank you, and including this picture.

WaltherPPKwithmagazines.thumb.jpg.c97d6bd675f37b37b0d0aab43512e3bc.jpg

So I have a blue magazine for my stainless gun, but it tickled me all to hell. Like a man told me once, it was like I had a feather up my butt. Tickled the poop out of me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Alpo, sometimes you're like a feather up ALL our butts.

Dagnabbit! Now I gotta wipe coffee off the computer!

• Haha 1

My RIA 1911 won't work with any magazine except original military measurement steel mags...Colt's are best.

Because of that I carry one and a chambered round in the gun, two spare mags on my belt and six loaded mags in the car.......just in case.

My every day every occasion gun is a 1957 Colt Detective Special .38 with a Tyler T-Grip and three speed loaders close at hand.  I have never felt under gunned with that and can hit a people sized target within an inch or so of POA at 60 feet.  It rides in a very slow to get out "vampire" (gun rides upside down) shoulder holster regardless of what else I may (or may not) be carrying on my belt.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I carry the std in my Glock 19 gen5,

My 1 reload is  Glock 17 mag.

Doing a quick web search, the 19 holds 15, while a 17 holds 17, giving you two extra rounds and it sticks out a little bit below the grip?

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It rides in a very slow to get out "vampire" (gun rides upside down) shoulder holster

40, I've been meaning to ask you about that rig. You've been using it for a while. How is it to draw from, and more importantly, how do you reholster?

I've got a standard half breed holster, and I drop the muzzle in down the top until the cylinder hits, and then spread the spring and let it drop in the rest of the way. Takes two hands. I've got a Miami classic, and I hold it still with my left hand while I holster and snap the strap with my right. Again, two hands. And then I've got a military M3. I just drop it in the pouch and snap it shut. Only takes one.

But since that upside down holster is not attached to your body, so it won't wiggle around, and stays in place by gravity so if you push at the bottom of it it's going to go up into your armpit, it just looks like you'd have to take it completely off to reholster.

?????

Edited by Alpo
otto has discovered past-tenses of verbs

I always liked to carry a full size gun off duty way back when I was a Deputy. Like you said, it doesn't matter that much if the grip is longer so why not? I felt better with more grip in my hand, a bit more control of the gun. 

• Like 2

A compact pistol means to me a carry pistol.

A carry pistol means to me my life may depend upon it.

Therefore the only magazine I would use is the pistol manufacturer magazines made for that pistol.

Edited by Matthew Duncan
Correct autocorrect
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I buy the mags for the gun. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I always buy the magazines that's for the gun. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

A compact pistol means to me a carry pistol.

A carry pistol means to me my life may depend upon it.

Therefore the only magazine I would use is the pistol manufacturer magazines made for that pistol.

Same as all of the above, especially Matthew Duncan's post. I also test the carry pistol mags over and over...many times with the exact ammo that will be used. Any malfunction and the malfunctioning magazine is not designated for carry use.

i have both , or all three depending on how one looks at it , i dont always buy the mfgrs extra mags , 

i bought the mfgr 9mm mags for my sig 938 that i carry ,

i have some replacement non-mfgr 9mm mags for my EMP ,

i have both the mfgr and non-mfrg 45acp mags for my kimber and yes i have the extended mags i used in my full size kimber that fit and work in that , 

i want a couple spares for my colt 380 but they are not a priority because i have three originals , i like to have 5-6 for each , i dont carry it much anymore since i got the sig ,