SASS Wire Forum

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So....sorta like black powder compared to smokeless!  :D

Good analogy!!!:)

Live Sci-Fi. Cool!

That plane looks like cover art for a book by Robert Heinlein or Isaac Asimov. :)

So...another GIANT investment in a Mach 1.4 aircraft for supposedly commercial applications. Why? There was already a plane (SST) for that purpose, that was a commercial failure and a big boondoggle for the companies involved, although a lot of that was hidden from investors until too late.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool plane and all as was the SST. Just can't see why it was needed and wonder if taxpayer money went to develop it. All to reduce sonic booms...seriously?

31 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

So...another GIANT investment in a Mach 1.4 aircraft for supposedly commercial applications. Why? There was already a plane (SST) for that purpose, that was a commercial failure and a big boondoggle for the companies involved, although a lot of that was hidden from investors until too late.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool plane and all as was the SST. Just can't see why it was needed and wonder if taxpayer money went to develop it. All to reduce sonic booms...seriously?

It creates jobs!:P

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Research and experimentation almost always pays off.  Otherwise we would still be in caves and hunting with pointed sticks and clubs.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Research and experimentation almost always pays off.  Otherwise we would still be in caves and hunting with pointed sticks and clubs.

You're absolutley right!!!;)

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What? You got a problem with caves, pointed sticks and clubs?:D

23 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Not at all, but I prefer cotton fabric to hides, clean running water to muddy ponds, and hot showers to sometimes washing hands and face in said muddy ponds.  :P

30 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Guns are kinda cool though! Glad they were invented!!

I suspect an engine failure in the X-59 gets interesting, it's not likely to glide very well.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Exactly 

without research into the space program, we wouldn’t have Tang! And without MIB we wouldn’t have Velcro! (saw that on the internet, so must be true)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

The Concordes weren’t allowed to fly over land because of the sonic booms, so there’s never been a civilian/commercial  coast-to-coast supersonic flight. 

This is a test bed for the shape of a “minimal-boom” aircraft which has lots of applications, but it still doesn’t solve the economic equation. The problem with SSTs is they can’t build them big enough to hold enough paying passengers to turn a profit as the physics of supersonic flight constrains their size. Plus, the power and fuel requirements for a larger plane would be astronomical. 

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Exactly 

without research into the space program, we wouldn’t have Tang! And without MIB we wouldn’t have Velcro! (saw that on the internet, so must be true)

Regards

Gateway Kid

Here’s some more..,,,

infographicsuploadsinfographicsfull11358

3 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Exactly 

And without MIB we wouldn’t have Velcro! (saw that on the internet, so must be true)

Regards

Gateway Kid

You're wrong. We got it from the Vulcans. T'Pol's grandmother sold it to the Big Creek Manufacturing and Sales Company in 1957, as told by T'Pol in an episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise", Season 2 Episode 2 titled "Carbon Creek".

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You're wrong. We got it from the Vulcans. T'Pol's grandmother sold it to the Big Creek Manufacturing and Sales Company in 1957, as told by T'Pol in an episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise", Season 2 Episode 2 titled "Carbon Creek".

Now hold on just a minute here!

I just reviewed Men in Black and K definitely told J that the aliens gave us velcro at the worlds fair back in the early '50's!

I am thinking a good copyright lawyer might need to be involved here! :P

Regards (just goofing around wit ya)

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Now hold on just a minute here!

I just reviewed Men in Black and K definitely told J that the aliens gave us velcro at the worlds fair back in the early '50's!

I am thinking a good copyright lawyer might need to be involved here! :P

Regards (just goofing around wit ya)

Gateway Kid

This is my theory: Big Creek Manufacturing was taken over by some bigger company that could back engineer Velcro. It was revealed by that company at the World's Fair that K mentioned. K DID say aliens. 

Here's the proof!:

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It creates jobs!:P

Not for the near future. It will take years for any technology change to be incorporated into anything new.

7 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Not for the near future. It will take years for any technology change to be incorporated into anything new.

Im talking about the people making the planes now! NASA employs lots of people.

NASA doesn't make anything, they contract everything out! I spent 40 years in the industry and NASA is basically only administrators, engineers and bean counters.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

NASA doesn't make anything, they contract everything out! I spent 40 years in the industry and NASA is basically only administrators, engineers and bean counters.

Those are jobs aren’t they? If they contract out they’re still creating jobs!

46 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Those are jobs aren’t they? If they contract out they’re still creating jobs!

By the time the testing get done and the results analyzed, it will be at least 5 years before anything is designed and put into production.

Tang was around before NASA used it. Velcro came from some guy (in Switzerland, I think) observed cockleburs sticking to his dog's fur! The Boeing SST project was cancelled when Congress passed a law prohibiting supersonic flight by commercial airliners over the continental U.S. That basically insured the economic failure of the Concord.  The interesting thing about the X-59 is it has no forward windscreen! Much like the Star Trek Enterprise, the pilot will have to depend on a forward TV. Great idea aerodynamically...unless the T.V. goes out! Ejection seats anyone? "In the event of failure of the view screen, passengers are instructed to sit up straight, grasp the armrests and pull up sharply! :o

21 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

By the time the testing get done and the results analyzed, it will be at least 5 years before anything is designed and put into production.

I understand but there’s people working right now because of NASA! I don’t understand what point you’re making. All I’m saying is NASA creates jobs. Who does the testing and analysis? People do! Those are jobs!!

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Im talking about the people making the planes now! NASA employs lots of people.

This is what you posted. They are not making planes now and NASA doesn't make planes....never have. 

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

This is what you posted. They are not making planes now and NASA doesn't make planes....never have. 

I’m not saying NASA is making the planes but someone is   making the planes because of NASA. That’s my point. I don’t know what your point is! :o

Archived