SASS Wire Forum

How long do you think it would take to lose your accent?

Alpo

On 12/25/2023 at 3:01 AM, Pat Riot said:

I had a true hick accent laced with some southern verbiage. 

Stop that right now.  After years of schooling tried to "educate" us out of it, I have embraced my home language.  You wanna think that makes me stupid, I'll use it to my advantage.  We're talking the linguistic dialect unique to upstate SC and a county of two crossing the border into NC.  Throw in a bit of GA if you piss me off (Dad's influence).

That being said, I'm quick to code switch.  I find that, if I'm around people I'll pick up their way of speaking.  I don't do it on purpose - it just happens.

Asssent ?

I got no stinking Asssent  !

Screenshot_20231227_053439_Photos.jpg

33 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Asssent ?

I got no stinking Asssent  !

Screenshot_20231227_053439_Photos.jpg

Wow that just threw this topic off the rails!:P

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

I took the test on that site. They decided I live in California. You can't get much further from California than Florida.

................. Australia ?

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Always wondered why Australians don't have differing accents. 

......... but, ... but, ......but we does .........

.......... I was on a jobsite once and after a couple of hours I was asked "what part of the Mid North Coast I was from?"....

........ I asked him why he thought I was from that area and he said it was from the way I talked, so I confirmed that, indeed, I was.

...... I've got a dialect, who knew ?/??  :huh:   

(.... well, he did .... :blush:)

9 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... but, ... but, ......but we does .........

.......... I was on a jobsite once and after a couple of hours I was asked "what part of the Mid North Coast I was from?"....

........ I asked him why he thought I was from that area and he said it was from the way I talked, so I confirmed that, indeed, I was.

...... I've got a dialect, who knew ?/??  :huh:   

(.... well, he did .... :blush:)

Yeah but Taree is different :)

I took that test ..........

..... it decided that I am from the "Northeast" .........  :o

I have been to the USA once only, for EOT back in 2003 (ask Pat Riot, he was there too)

I spent about a week in California and then came home, me whole "people interaction" was ...

.... "Howdy Ma'am", and "G'day Mate" amongst the other attendees ......... :D

. so, where is the Northeast in relation to where I was .... for  a week only   ? :huh:

i grew up in the midwest of the US - no not the traditional midwest just west of the appalachians but just west of the mississippi , i watched TV and listened to radio growing up [not in that order] it always seemed everyone talked like us , i learned that it was true but some of them learned it , 

we vacationed in all directions when i was a kid , i found that alll of those directions had their own inflections of speech as well as patterns and slang so to speak that did not show up in radio/TV speak or movies , i picked up on certain influences by ethnic backgrounds and such , but i was never any good a mimicking so i thought i never had any kind of accent really , 

but , after living in the south for a few years my family said i did talk funny  and after living up here in the north they kid me of that , now they have always stayed in one place so their reference point is static i think , based on what they have said it took me about a year to acquire the various accents they picked up on and maybe a year for them to change , i moved straight from oklahoma to minnesota - id been in the south [ok , tx, fl , ga ] for a good 5 years , il/ia  as a home base for a week a month back then , when i came here it was a cold turkey change of job , within a year i was being told i talked funny in a different way , 

im not certain why we pick up on these things or why they might go away , but i am aware of peoples phraseology whe ever i encounter them , not that i always adopt them , 

ill never get used to someone borrowing me something  they lend it , i borrow it ,  i dont borrow t to them , thats minnesotan 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:51 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I took the test and got Pacific Northwest !!!! Pretty far from Northeast Ohio!:lol:

On 12/26/2023 at 9:51 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It says "Pacific Northwest."  Close, first 20 years in S. Calif, since then the southern end of N. Calif.  
One picky bit on that quiz - it should be "all y'all" not just "y'all."

No. All y'all is a bunch.

If I'm talking to you, it's you. If I'm talking to you and your wife and Hardpan, that's y'all.

But if I'm talking to posse 3 at EOT, that's all y'all.

Truthfully I don't think there's a rule that tells you when you stop saying y'all and when you start saying all y'all. It's just something you learn as you grow. I don't think it can be taught to a non southerner.

Teacher, talking to one student:

Tommy, did you dip Susie's pigtails in the ink?

Talking to everyone on that row:

Tommy, Billy, Frank - I know it was one of y'all that dipped Susie's pigtails.

Talking to all of the boy students:

If someone doesn't tell me who did it, all y'all boys going to stay in from recess.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

No. All y'all is a bunch.

If I'm talking to you, it's you. If I'm talking to you and your wife and Hardpan, that's y'all.

The question said "a group," which I took to mean half a dozen or more. To me that gets into the "all y'all" range.

I recognize there are regionalisms, but I took the test twice and came up with California and Northeast! Spent about 19 months in Northern California, and never in the Northeast!  Born and raised in the Chicago area and spent the last 35+ years in Colorado. Think they need to rethink their algorithms.

Archived