SASS Wire Forum

45 ACP from LAX With SPP

bgavin

LAX is offering bulk ammo in 45 ACP, but with a twist:  it uses small pistol primers.
Starline Brass is large pistol primer... which begs the question:  Is there any disadvantage to using SPP in 45 ACP standard loads?

SPP seems to be a bit easier to find than LPP.

I figure the LAX brass is reloadable at least once.

I hate small primer 45 acp brass.  It jams up the press and often damages the large pistol primer when trying to seat it into the small pistol primer pocket.  Separating the small primer from the large primer brass is a tedious task.  I would not want to be party to introducing any more small primer 45 acp brass into the world.  It's a curse on the reloading community.

Thanks for the insight.

My brass is either Starline, or Not Starline.

I use a single stage Redding press, and run in batches.
I'm ok with setting up a night's priming run with a single brass and primer combination.

Howdy Bgavin.

From my personal experience.....

.....There is no disadvantage in the brass itself.   AND, actually the small primer pockets

on 'some'  .45 ACP brass allows for a stronger/thicker web of the brass which enhances

the ability of loading it hotter assuming the pistol is capable of handling it.  The brass

itself will probably be stronger.

(example: .45 Colt brass has Large Primer pockets.    .454 Casull brass has small primer pockets

which can use both small pistol or small rifle primers.)

I have a small amount of .45 ACP brass with Small Primer Pockets and I normally load it up

to .45 +P or .45 Super performance, assuming my pistols are strong enough and proper springs

have been installed.

BUT, for your standard loads, it good brass and probably stronger brass to handle slightly higher

pressures.   The ONE THING to check before loading to higher than standard pressures is

to make sure your Flash Hole is correctly sized.

..........Widder

I have decided that very few people reload 7.62x39. Because I constantly see people complaining about the small primer 45s and how it screws them up when they get small pockets mixed up with their large pocket 45s.

But unless they have changed it, Remington 762-39 used small rifle and Winchester 762-39 used large rifle. And I had both. And I did not have any trouble keeping them separated.

Possibly this is because I always clean the primer pocket. But I would deprime all my brass (I wish otto would learn the word BRASS, because he keeps wanting to write BREATH) deprime all my brass and then clean all the pockets. To do that, you have to look at the pockets. And when you're busily cleaning large pockets and you pick up a piece with a small pocket you toss it in another bowl. Then when you finish cleaning all the large ones you change your brush and go back and clean all the small ones.

This is not rocket surgery.

But still people complain.

I encountered .308 Win brass with small rifle primer pockets for sale on line yesterday. Had I ordered that brass and found out once it arrived I would not be happy about it. 

Getting back to bgavin's original request, NO.  There will be absolutely no difference in load performance between SPP and LPP primers.  The difference in Brisance is minute (tiny).  Most folks complaint about SPP 45 ACP brass is with range pickup brass they have not fully inspected (shame on them not the brass).  Oh, almost forgot:

BIG PLUS ONE for Widder you betcha.  SPP 45 ACP brass bis Geshund!!

CC, thanks for the info.

I looked up "brisance" which eventually took me to a DIY primer test page, which I saved to my library as PDF.

I particularly enjoyed his "DMS" test (doesn't mean squat), as it is relevant only to itself.

http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

The bulk of my primer stock is Winchester, followed by CCI and Federal, with Remington primers making up the smallest count.

I will take a chance on that LAX bulk 45 ACP in hollow point and SPP brass, especially if my local ammo shop carries it locally.
We can't mail order here in CA unless it goes through the FFL shop and his process and fees.

Some years ago I picked up 1k Federal black box .45acp on sale for plinking and to build up my supply of brass for wild bunch. Not realizing it was SPP. Then the great shortage happened and I ran out of LPP. A little research and some test loads showed SPP brass was just as good as LPP. You gotta let everyone else at the match you are shooting SPP brass so they check their "pickup" for those unwanted SPP. However in a pinch it saved me a couple matches, and I keep a couple hundred in a separate coffee can just in case.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Blame the primer shortage. SPP and SRP can be punched out on the same machine without changing any settings. 

Switching between LPP and LRP require changes to the machine. 

SPP and LPP use different punches but I use the same punch for LPP and LRP. I think Height of the primer (LPP and LRP) is different but as long as the primer bottoms out in the case?
What kind of changes are we talking about?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

CC, thanks for the info.

I looked up "brisance" which eventually took me to a DIY primer test page, which I saved to my library as PDF.

I particularly enjoyed his "DMS" test (doesn't mean squat), as it is relevant only to itself.

http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

The bulk of my primer stock is Winchester, followed by CCI and Federal, with Remington primers making up the smallest count.

I will take a chance on that LAX bulk 45 ACP in hollow point and SPP brass, especially if my local ammo shop carries it locally.
We can't mail order here in CA unless it goes through the FFL shop and his process and fees.

I thought you could within the state. LAX Ammo is CA based. 

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

SPP and LPP use different punches but I use the same punch for LPP and LRP. I think Height of the primer (LPP and LRP) is different but as long as the primer bottoms out in the case?
What kind of changes are we talking about?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I was referring to the machines that are used to manufacture primers. SPP and SRP primers are the same dimensions. Means you can use the same machine to make both SPP and SRP. 

LPP and LRP are different heights so the same machine configuration cannot be used. 

I only reload SPP 45ACP. I also only reload 38SPL and 9mm (both SPP). Why convert my press when all my reloading buddies give me all the SPP 45ACP brass cus they hate the "cursed stuff". Win win for me I think. Never had one not go bang yet.

Archived