SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of animal rights...

Trailrider #896

A guy and his buddies caught a record-breaking 16 ft. long Burmese python down in Florida. Fox News did a piece on it. At the end of the segment, the two reporters asked if the snake was still alive, to which the guy stated that it had been euthenized.  To which the lady reporter replied, "I'm all for animal rights, but I'd grab a shotgun!" :P

29 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

A guy and his buddies caught a record-breaking 16 ft. long Burmese python down in Florida. Fox News did a piece on it. At the end of the segment, the two reporters asked if the snake was still alive, to which the guy stated that it had been euthenized.  To which the lady reporter replied, "I'm all for animal rights, but I'd grab a shotgun!" :P

Good on her! 

Stupid, Soft headed hearted people releasing them in the "wild" when the tire of them or they become too big.

Could be, I'm FAR NORTH of the Everglades, but I recall reading about people releasing them on purpose as I mentioned.

Whether the "Reporter" knew what he was talking about is another matter.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

There is probably plenty of that, but my recollection is that the infestation started with a major hurricane decades back, taking down some sort of Reptile Tourist attraction.  Anyone else recall that?

Hurricane Andrew

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Could be, I'm FAR NORTH of the Everglades, but I recall reading about people releasing them on purpose as I mentioned.

Whether the "Reporter" knew what he was talking about is another matter.

People releasing non-native plants and animals was a problem long before Hurricane Andrew released thousands of non-native plants and animals when it flattened southern Florida. The generally accepted cause of the python population explosions was the destruction of a large breeding facility.

Lion Fish on the other hand are the result of people releasing them into the wild as there are documented sightings long before Hurricane Andrew. 

One positive thing did come from all the destruction wrought by Hurricane Andrew. It destroyed nearly all of the thriving Australian pine trees, an invasive species, in Florida’s Bill Baggs State Park, which had taken up 95% of the park. Following the destruction of these trees, millions of dollars and tens thousands of man-hours were donated to remove remnants of the Australian pines and plant native trees in a large scale ecological restoration to replace the species that had been causing ecological stress to the area.

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think not bird shot.

It's just a snake. Snake shot oughta work.

CCI-.22-LR-Shotshell-585x439.jpg

Some people just get so scared of snakes.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's just a snake. Snake shot oughta work.

CCI-.22-LR-Shotshell-585x439.jpg

Some people just get so scared of snakes.

.22 snake shot on a 16 foot python? Maybe if you put it down its throat or shoot close to point-blank against his head or a vital spot; otherwise, a critter that size would have a whole lot of fight left.

I'll go with the shotgun, thanks.

For a python as large as I have seen pictures of down there... a bazooka in a magnum caliber, please, followed up by an Apache gunship.

A shotgun is a very appropriate snake dispatching device.

Pythons and large constrictors were in the Glades long before Andrew. They've become an apex predator in the Glades and other parts of Florida also. Very recently, a python was found with 110 eggs...not good...snakes are still horny, reproducing and very happy with the heat/humidity of the swamp.

All one has to do is a internet search of python vs gator on YouTube to watch some real "nature contests". Damn snake wins most of the time.

Archived