SASS Wire Forum

I was so bad today...

DeaconKC

Yeesh, at the small gunstore I work at part time we have quite a few animal mounts that have been harvested legally from previous owners. Now this is a Southern town where hunting is a very large part of the culture. We are also a very popular area for travel here for our lakes, and tourist season we are very crowded with fishing and all sorts of water sports. Well, some folks came in today to get some fishing supplies and a young woman [mid teens I guess] who was with them start having a hissy fit at the mounted animals. I was the lucky recipient of her vitriol, so I decided I would have some fun out of this. I told her that none of the animals were endangered except the trophy jackalope we had mounted. When she demanded that we should remove that one especially, I then pointed it out to her and she took several pictures and is going to post them on tiktok to get people to complain about us. The animal in question is actually trophy atypical whitetail deer. Again harvested legally. Here is the "Jackalope" in question...

jackalope1.jpg

You are not bad -you're an enabler. You simply enabled her to show her natural stupidity (ignorance?) in a more effective manner.

I have some Navajo silver I am fond of and wear on a regular basis.  I went into a very authentic and tribe connected shop in Santa Fe a good many years ago.  Asked about a bear claw pendant.  The owner went ballistic.  I allowed as how I rather liked bears and had no interest in harming a bear, but that former user of a claw I bought didn't need it anymore.  We agreed to disagree, though I bought several very nice Keshi.  Ran into her in her shop just before the Plague and she remembered - we both had a laugh over it.  I did find what I was looking for and wear it for luck now and then.  I guess I'm not evolved to the current state of humanity!

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I guess I'm not evolved to the current state of humanity!

If I ever evolve to the current state of humanity, use me as a shotgun knockdown in a major match.

I was at a Stuckey’s in Texas when I was 11 years old and saw a stuffed Jackalope. I asked my Dad about them and this guy in a cowboy hat gave me a huge line about these wiley creatures. He told me what they eat and where they lived and how the males fought over the females by ramming into each other at 35-40 miles per hour and I bought the whole thing, hook, line & sinker. :lol:
It was a couple of days before my Dad told me the truth. I was kind of bummed. I wanted to catch a baby jackalope and make it my pet. :lol:
So, one day when I was 16 years old we were in a truck stop in New Mexico and these three boys were ogling the stuffed Jackalope. I went over and told them all about them. What they ate, where they lived and how the males fought each by ramming into each other with their antlers at 35-40 mph. They bought it hook, line and sinker…:lol:

I wonder how long it was before their Dad told them the truth? He was standing there grinning as I told his boys all about the wiley jackalope. 

38 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I was at a Stuckey’s in Texas when I was 11 years old and saw a stuffed Jackalope. I asked my Dad about them and this guy in a cowboy hat gave me a huge line about these wiley creatures. He told me what they eat and where they lived and how the males fought over the females by ramming into each other at 35-40 miles per hour and I bought the whole thing, hook, line & sinker. :lol:
It was a couple of days before my Dad told me the truth. I was kind of bummed. I wanted to catch a baby jackalope and make it my pet. :lol:
So, one day when I was 16 years old we were in a truck stop in New Mexico and these three boys were ogling the stuffed Jackalope. I went over and told them all about them. What they ate, where they lived and how the males fought each by ramming into each other with their antlers at 35-40 mph. They bought it hook, line and sinker…:lol:

I wonder how long it was before their Dad told them the truth? He was standing there grinning as I told his boys all about the wiley jackalope. 

Even better is telling people about the Grunion, and how, in the summer months, just after high tide on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th nights after the full Moon these little fish beach themselves by the thousands.  Then the females burrow tail-first into the wet sand to lay their eggs and the males wrap themselves around the females to release their milt and fertilize the eggs.  Then they go back into the water.

Even show the people the story of the Grunion in the little time and tides books that every bait and tackle shop gave out and they still think you're a liar.

This is Ambrose. He has resided in a prominent place in my homes for a number of years.

image.png.5086c86d69038b22e175793a7825742a.png

A few people (all of the female persuasion) have believed that he was real and one even insisted that she had seen one.:wacko:

I encountered a lot of anti-hunting  activists when I worked as a manager for the State Dept of Fish and Wildlife (retired 11 yrs ago).  Some were pretty hateful.    When I was in a patient mood, I would explain to them that nature is not kind.  Only humans and their pets or livestock have the privilege of a quick, painless death or anesthesia.  The others are eaten alive as soon as they are sick, old, injured, weak, sleep too soundly or as infants killed by predators.   There is a reason why most animals produce so many offspring over their breeding lifespan.  For example,  with deer, the norm is two fawns PER YEAR and the breeding lifespan can be 12 yrs.   (Imagine the human population if every female on Earth produced twins every year for 15-20 yrs.) If all of those offspring survive to breeding age and do the same, the overpopulation would rapidly consume all available food and living space. 

I would ask which they would prefer, a quick death from a bullet or starving, or being eaten alive, they usually piped down to think for a minute.  I figured that was the best I could expect from them.  I doubt I changed anybody's thinking.  Brainwashing  is nearly impossible to overcome with facts or logic. 

well , i work at a range - once upon a time the previous owner had housed his trophy's [all legally harvested] in a building on the property , we called it the "dead zoo" most people had no issue with it some even brought their kids just to see it - it was an a=impressive display , i dorecall a couple people looking at the rinow and the crocodile and asking if they were not protected - obviously they were legally imported so no not to the extent they thought , 

you can get a ?karen" in most any instance of life - you cant fix stupid , you do have to deal with it tho - my choice is to stay quiet and let them talk their own way into jail , we also have a lot of LEO at our range , go ahead , make my day 

This is one of the funniest Jackalope descriptions I have seen. Unfortunately the sight won’t allow copying the narrative so you’ll just have to go to the site. What attracted me to the site was their price of $130 for a mount. Jackalopes are not cheap. $275-$350. 

https://www.celticjackalope.com/shop/gifts/mounted-taxidermy-jackalope-head/

If any of you are in Denver you need to go to my favorite restaurant, The Buckhorn Exchange. It is the oldest restaurant in Denver and has liquor license number 1. It is located in an old two story house. Every inch of wall space has some type of stuffed head on it from bunnies to zebras. It is a sight to see. The food and service is great. They do have some wild game items on the menu. The elk medallions are my favorite. They sometimes have rattlesnake or alligator bites as appetizers. We like the buffalo tips in gravy with their bread. When we lived there it was the place I always went for my birthday in February. It was also the time they were celebrating Buffalo Bills birthday with specials. Now I only get to go when we visit the area. I do miss their food.

https://www.buckhorn.com/

WELCOME TO A TASTE OF HISTORY.

Denver’s original steakhouse, The Buckhorn Exchange is located in the city’s oldest neighborhood, just 5-minutes from downtown Denver -- with a light-rail stop right across the street. This National Historic Landmark and Western Museum has been serving the finest in Old West fare since 1893. 

Prime Grade Beef Steaks, Buffalo, Elk, Colorado Lamb, Fish, Fowl and Baby Back Pork Ribs are just some of the marvelous offerings on the Buckhorn menu. Exotic appetizers such as rattlesnake and alligator tail are available, and no dinner is complete without the house specialty, Rocky Mountain Oysters.

My favorite appetizer

SIRLOIN GAME TIPS *

Choice cuts from our beef, buffalo, and elk sautéed with fresh mushrooms in a different sauce each day

My favorite entree

ELK *

Farm-raised for the Buckhorn. Broiled Medallions with a velvety texture and flavor hinting of grass and cedar.

and you have to save room for desert

My favorite desert

• HOT DUTCH APPLE PIE

With cinnamon rum sauce

A la mode

You hungry yet?

Texas Maverick

Changing a person's mind is usually more of a challenge than we realize.  Some time ago, I read a very good but hard-reading, book entitled "Doubt and Certainty in Science" (I cannot remember the author).  The book had a section describing the physiology of the learning process. It used an interesting model. 

The brain learns by growing/establishing new pathways along which neurological (electro-chemical) impulses travel.  The brain makes the paths as short as possible within its structure.  By using them repeatedly (i.e., by having repetitive needs or thinking the same thoughts), they become like freeways, transmitting the impulses more and more rapidly.  That is what practice,  muscle memory and repetition are about. 

But once learned and reinforced, the brain will resist conflicting information, avoiding the need to move impulses down new, different and slower paths.  Remember, your brain is trying to move about 10,000 to 12,000 impulses PER SECOND!

So when we expect someone to change their mind about something that has become repetitively reinforced, we are literally seeking physiological changes. 

That can be done, but it requires the the brain to realize some major disturbance that causes physiological consequence, like grief, stress, fear, pain, etc. (think electrical shock avoidance), such that the brain perceives need to protect itself by risking use of new, slower pathways -- it wants to stay on its high-speed freeway.  So "made-up" minds are unlikely change easily based on harmless conversational  rhetoric alone. 

Indoctrination/brain-washing is the process of deliberately establishing new concepts as freeways in young, formative minds, or interrupting the existing freeways in older minds with real or false information repetitively enough and disturbingly enough for new freeways to replace old ones.  Once concepts like "anti-gun" or "global climate risk" or "assault weapon bans" or "The Big Lie"  become reinforced by repetition, they become actual physiological structures that offer  "stubborn" resistance. 

I've found the model interesting and useful,  at least in curbing my frustrating past efforts to try to use logic to convince people who are not about to "change their mind".  

8 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

If any of you are in Denver you need to go to my favorite restaurant, The Buckhorn Exchange. It is the oldest restaurant in Denver and has liquor license number 1. It is located in an old two story house. Every inch of wall space has some type of stuffed head on it from bunnies to zebras. It is a sight to see. The food and service is great. They do have some wild game items on the menu. The elk medallions are my favorite. They sometimes have rattlesnake or alligator bites as appetizers. We like the buffalo tips in gravy with their bread. When we lived there it was the place I always went for my birthday in February. It was also the time they were celebrating Buffalo Bills birthday with specials. Now I only get to go when we visit the area. I do miss their food.

https://www.buckhorn.com/

Texas Maverick

Next time I'm in the area, for sure.  Thanks for the tip!  If you are in Billings, be sure to try the Buffalo Block.  Equally historic, superb food and service, fine surroundings just not as over the top.

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Similar to your own kangalope:

full-10261-342480-kangalope_by_dwarf4r_d64zulv_fullview.jpg.9ab579ceafa7934fae17f965f6013642.jpg

There are several types worldwide

Jackalope_(SciiFii).jpg.304c49b4a2d2c929d7e6fdc6a46f9b2f.jpg

Have something similar in Arizona, but much smaller.,and not really related to jackalopes at all.  It's cross between a kangaroo rat and a horn toad.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

image.png.1635061fa4a3c7e1eb6174f83cfea5d8.png

FYI - Ambrose is a blue eyed Jackalope.:D

All the locals must be upset since they don't get included in the lottery, just the out-of-staters that are dumb er brave enough to apply. LOL

TM

Archived