SASS Wire Forum

Loctite on ejector rod screws?

DeaconKC

Okay, I have seen several ejector rods come loose in competitions, enough so that I check mine regularly while shooting. Just now watching Hickock45's episode on the SAA 150th anniversary, he had one come loose, losing the screw entirely. I am wondering if there is any reason NOT to put some blue Loctite on the screw that holds the ejector rod housing onto the pistol.

I use ONE drop of red loctite on the ejector rod housing screw. 
First super clean both male and female threads with acetone. 
Let set for 24 hours. 
Works for me. 
What I frequently see is someone who thought more is better when using loctite. It doesn’t work that way. 

Loctite decoded:

• Red: High strength, permanent adhesion
    • Select for high vibration applications where the components don’t need to be disassembled in the future.
  • Green: High strength wicking, permanent adhesion
    • Select for high vibration applications for preassembled fasteners that don’t need to be disassembled in the future.
  • Blue: Medium strength, removable with torque
    • Select to ensure components don’t come loose in the application and there is a possibility of disassembling the components in the future.
  • Purple: Low strength, easily removable
    • Select for non-crucial applications and if disassemble of the components in the future is a known possibility.

Blue should be sufficient, unless you have a  fitment issue.    I'd address that first.   Eventually, you'll want to clean that area.

my old model Vaqueros also worked themselves loose over time

a drop of red solved it

if you ever want to remove the screw put the tip of a soldering iron on it for 30 seconds and that will loosen it

BE SURE TO USE PROPER FITTING SCREWDRIVE TIP when removing

I use the blue and don't have any issues with it coming loose anymore. I had one that required being tighten every 3 stages. It did come off during one match but luckily I found all the parts. The blue solved that problem. I take it apart about every 3 months and put the parts in my sonic cleaner and clean it real well then blue loctite it again. I saw above the gun tite, will be checking it out for future. Not sure what the difference is between it and the blue.

TM

First, shorten your cylinder rod so that you can remove it without having to remove the ejector rod.  You can use a padded vice and hack saw or rotary tool, then smooth/round the end.

The, the key is thoroughly clean and de-grease prior to putting on the locktite. 

When I did that, blue worked fine for the last several years.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

my old model Vaqueros also worked themselves loose over time

a drop of red solved it

if you ever want to remove the screw put the tip of a soldering iron on it for 30 seconds and that will loosen it

BE SURE TO USE PROPER FITTING SCREWDRIVE TIP when removing

THIS    ^^^^^^

I had one pistol that the ejector screw would come loose. My current set doesn’t. I think it’s the gun. Some do-some don’t. A dab of loktite will fix it! 

12 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

First, shorten your cylinder rod so that you can remove it without having to remove the ejector rod.  You can use a padded vice and hack saw or rotary tool, then smooth/round the end.

The, the key is thoroughly clean and de-grease prior to putting on the locktite. 

When I did that, blue worked fine for the last several years.

Correct! Loctite was one of the products I sold for many years,99% of the time when product selection was proper the cause of failure was improperly cleaned components. Most Loctite especially the old products which are still made do not work well with oil-covered parts.  Also, remember 

"Is LOCTITE primer necessary?
Do I need to use a primer with LOCTITE threadlocker? We recommend the use of primer where both the parts come under the category of 'inactive surfaces'. These metals lack the iron or copper content and thus the metallic ions are required to fully cure the product within 24 hours."

On 6/25/2023 at 10:27 PM, Dungannon Gunner said:

Correct! Loctite was one of the products I sold for many years,

I knew there was something sticky stable, dependable about you.  :D:D:D

Archived