SASS Wire Forum

Black powder lubed bullets for smokeless

Bluemound Cowboy

I believe you can as Desperado Cowboy bullets are supposed to have BP compatible lube. But in truth, I'm not positive.

BP lube will work for low power stuff like SASS, but not when you get into higher velocity rifles. Then I’d use a dedicated smokeless lube. 

Just my nickel….

Sam Sackett 

Some black powder lubes melt at lower temperatures than the hard lube used for smokeless cast bullets.  That may affect their suitability in the heat of the summer.  I lube with SPG Tropic to avoid this problem.  Desperado Bullets and Missouri BP-lubed bullets work well in the summer too.

I use the same soft BP lube in my SASS guns and in my 45acp and 9mm autos. Use the same softer alloy of lead too, for that matter.  I have never had a leading problem, but I do tend to run bullets a thou or 2 larger than a jacketed bullet.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bluemound Cowboy said:

Probably get roasted for this but I know ya can’t uses smokeless lube for black powder loads but can you use black powder lubed bullets for smokeless loads?

That is what I have been using with Reloder 7 for my distance/accuracy 44-40 hunting loads

Archived