SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

You're breaking my heart.  When Hurricane Hugo went through (1989) we suffered two major casualties: my mama's pecan tree, and the tree that supported the muscadine vine in MIL's yard.  Haven't had a decent grape pie since.

• Like 1

Caprese Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

Preheat oven to 375degrees

peal and mash and chop 4 cloves of garlic and toast in a skillet in butter until dark brown, stir often so they don’t burn.

Wash and remove stem from 4 portabello mushrooms, pat dry with paper towel.

1 bunch fresh basil coarsly chopped

1 7oz. jar sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, dried on a paper towel

4oz. garlic and herb feta cheese crumbled

12 mozerella balls or slices from a fresh mozerella roll about 1/2” thick.

Balsamic vinegrette to taste

Brush  the bottoms and insides of the mushrooms with the garlic infused butter. Distribute the roasted garlic over the inside of the 4 mushrooms. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the insides of the mushrooms, distribute the chopped fresh basil over the cheese and toasted garlic. Place 3-4 sun dried tomatoes on each mushroom and then distribute the mozzarella slices between the dried tomato pieces. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegrette, more can be added when you eat them if not enough now. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the entire mushroom content.

Place in oven on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until mozzarella is nice and melted.

I added a little more vinegrette to mine, Mrs. Lose thought hers was just right as it was out of the oven. She says I can fix these anytime, I guess she liked them. We’re having the remaining 2 for lunch tomorrow. I cooked these in the Pitboss pellet smoker.

B81DFCA7-4261-411E-A82A-58C7F98927CF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dutch Mustard Soup

Having recently resumed one of my many pastimes, making mustard, I looked for things to do with it, particularly nontraditional things, hot dogs is not enough.

I found Mustard Soup, specifically Dutch Mustard Soup. Key here is the mustard, it must not be French's or Heinz yelow mustard or even the common variety of Grey Poupon. You want a stone ground variety preferably made with a morter and pestle by a grootmoeder with arthritic hands.

Also key to all recipes for Dutch mustard soup is alliums, members of the onion family, primarily leeks Importantly leeks are grown in soil whcih is hilled around the plant in order to get that long section of white, typicallly the dark grren section is discsrded, your rabbits will love them though. What? You dont have rabbits? No hassenpfeffer? Anyway you must split the leeks and rinse under running water to remove any sand.

There are substitutes for leeks as well as other alliums that can be added. Celery while not an allium, also makes a good addition. Appparently the Dutch are the only culture interested in this. Though I think SDJ can invoke his googlefoo and find more.

So now, a recipe for Dutch mustard soup.

Moesterdsoep

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 lb cubed bacon or pancetta

• 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, if needed

• 1 large white onion, chopped

• 2 leeks, trimmed and chopped

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 3 tablespoons stoneground mustard

• 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock

• 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)

• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION
  1. In a large pot, cook the bacon or pancetta over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.

2. If there isn't much fat remaining in the pan, add some butter. (You want about 2 tablespoons of fat total.)

3. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onion and leek and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.

4. Stir in the mustard, followed by the stock and the cream. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

5. Use an immersion blender to puree soup, or remove to a blender to process.

6. If you'd like a thicker consistency, stir the cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of cold water and add to soup. Let simmer until thickened.

7. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve topped with bacon or pancetta, and enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Dutch Mustard Soup

Having recently resumed one of my many pastimes, making mustard, I looked for things to do with it, particularly nontraditional things, hot dogs is not enough.

I found Mustard Soup, specifically Dutch Mustard Soup. Key here is the mustard, it must not be French's or Heinz yelow mustard or even the common variety of Grey Poupon. You want a stone ground variety preferably made with a morter and pestle by a grootmoeder with arthritic hands.

Also key to all recipes for Dutch mustard soup is alliums, members of the onion family, primarily leeks Importantly leeks are grown in soil whcih is hilled around the plant in order to get that long section of white, typicallly the dark grren section is discsrded, your rabbits will love them though. What? You dont have rabbits? No hassenpfeffer? Anyway you must split the leeks and rinse under running water to remove any sand.

There are substitutes for leeks as well as other alliums that can be added. Celery while not an allium, also makes a good addition. Appparently the Dutch are the only culture interested in this. Though I think SDJ can invoke his googlefoo and find more.

So now, a recipe for Dutch mustard soup.

Moesterdsoep

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 lb cubed bacon or pancetta

• 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, if needed

• 1 large white onion, chopped

• 2 leeks, trimmed and chopped

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 3 tablespoons stoneground mustard

• 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock

• 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)

• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION
  1. In a large pot, cook the bacon or pancetta over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.

2. If there isn't much fat remaining in the pan, add some butter. (You want about 2 tablespoons of fat total.)

3. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onion and leek and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.

4. Stir in the mustard, followed by the stock and the cream. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

5. Use an immersion blender to puree soup, or remove to a blender to process.

6. If you'd like a thicker consistency, stir the cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of cold water and add to soup. Let simmer until thickened.

7. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve topped with bacon or pancetta, and enjoy!

That sounds really good.  I wasn't able to find any Mustard Soups other than Dutch.

In looking I did run across

https://www.lavenderandmacarons.com/dill-pickle-soup-polish-zuppa-ogorkowa/#recipe

and

https://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/recipes/soups/dill-pickle-soup-russian-rasolnik/

The other day I came across a Facebook Reel on making Blueberry Rolls.  Like Cinnamon Rolls, but will a blueberry filling.  Well, we had blueberries, so I made a batch.  Didn't make the topping for them.

Make a rich bread dough.
While it's rising cook down about half a pound of blueberries with about a quarter cup of sugar and the juice of half a lemon.  Let it reduce some, then blend with an immersion blender.  

Grease a 9×9 pan very well.

Roll out dough very thin, 1/8" or so, into a rectangle,  spread with blueberry syrup, roll up, cut into about 2" lengths and place in pan.
Cover and let rest.

Heat oven to 350°F.  

Bake rolls for about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool pan on rack.

IMG_20230609_192403779.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Though I think SDJ can invoke his googlefoo and find more.

Both my wife and I spent time wandering through various rabbit warrens and while we could find dishes with mustard seed, nothing else like this with made mustard other than sauces or dressings.

My wife found http://www.edinburghfoody.com/2013/10/18/eat-in-season-carrot-leek-and-mustard-seed-soup/

• Like 1

BBQ Flavor Non-Pizza

I had a container of leftover sauce that I had cooked drumsticks in using a slow cooker.  Wanted to use it up on something.  Hmm....I have some extra bread dough from something else...hmmm....I have some "ends and pieces" of what is basically Country Bacon - very meaty.

So, what to do?  PIZZA!  Sort of.   Flat bread with sauce and toppings.

BBQ Flavor Non-Pizza

A 3-Cup batch of your favorite bread dough will make 2 each 13 x 18 sheet pan (aka half sheet) non-pizzas.  You will want to make the dough ahead of time to allow for rising and punching down a few times.  Or buy premade dough.

SAUCE:
2 Onions, Large, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced long way.

2 Bottles BBQ Sauce, 16 to 18 oz each. I use Sweet Baby Ray’s.

1 TBS Butter or Oil

1-2 tsp Salt

1 TBS Chicken Base Powder, I used Orrington Farm Vegan.

In non-stick skillet over medium heat melt Butter or heat Oil, add sliced onion. Make sure you cut the Onion long ways in strips rather than half-moons.  Stir around and add Salt.  Reduce heat to medium low. Cook Onions, covered, stirring occasionally, until onions are limp and translucent.  Try not to brown them. Add the Chicken Base and the BBQ Sauce.  Rinse the bottles with a little water and add to pan.  Reduce heat to the lowest you can.  Cover skillet and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove lid, taste and adjust seasoning.  Leave lid off of skillet and allow to reduce to about 2/3 or so.  Allow to cool.

Heat oven to 450 F. 

While oven is heating:

Cut dough in half, roll very thin to cover the pan.  Or close to it. Lightly grease pan.  Cover with the sauce, you will use about ¼ to 1/3 of it for one non-pizza. 

I topped the first one I made with diced Country Bacon and quartered and diced Polish Sausage.  Don’t use regular Bacon, it would be too greasy.  Pineapple works, too. Don’t need meat.  Experiment with toppings of your choice.  Peaches or Nectarines should work well. 

Bake at 450F for about 20 minutes, check for doneness.  I ended up having to turn the pan and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.

When done to your liking, remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack for a few minutes before slicing. 

Cut up and enjoy.

NOTE:  I did NOT use any cheese on this, hence the “Non-Pizza” name.

NonPizza1.thumb.jpg.1cc2f8122e4ad9056b149e1d8a8bd64c.jpg

nONpIZZA2.thumb.jpg.37c7f15b2669454d40be429ef3e90f84.jpg

NonPizza3.thumb.jpg.bbfeef952df423b61b90d099e33c9e23.jpg

Found a basic recipe for grits the other day, so I decided to try my hand at making some from scratch. Turned out better than expected and not too much work.

3/4 cup of corn meal

3 1/2 cups of water

pinch of salt

1/2 stick of butter

Bring water and salt to a boil, add the butter and meal, lower heat to low. Stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes.

This results in basic grits that can be eaten sweet or savory depending on what you want.

For savory, add a dash or two of hot sauce, salt and pepper with a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.

• Thanks 1

I think what he made was polenta. Because grits are made from dried and ground hominy, not cornmeal.

Similar. At least Alton Brown says they're similar. But not the same.

• Like 1

grits V polenta. In Alton Brown's book Good Eats 4 he revisits the issue of grits and polenta which he stated in 2008 S8E16 were the same.In True Grits Reloaded (S1E8)  (book 4) he repeatedly says that grits and polenta are legally the same but he adds that grits are made from flint corn and polenta is made from dent corn.

It looks like both episodes are available on youtube.

the last time I looked for good eats infood network they wer no longer reloaded seasons 1 and 2 but were renumbered as the final two seasons of good eats.

• Like 2

Tried a new recipe Sunday.  Chocolate Pecan Cobbler.  Got it from a Youtube channel called "Meat Church".  

It was awesomely good hot with Blue Bell home made vanilla ice cream, but even better cold the next morning.  

chocolate pecan cobbler 20 minutes later.jpg

chocolate pecan cobbler.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

- Florida Style Grits and Eggs

- Cook grits as directed, you want them in-between firm and runny. Long cook or quick is fine - no instant.

- Scramble 3 - eggs with salt/pepper and cook to desired consistency.

- Put scrambled eggs on plate and top with grits, add slice of butter on top of grits. Salt and pepper as needed. Mix eggs and grits so that there are egg chunks mixed in with the grits.

- Optional, but recommended - top with COLD apple sauce (sweetened or not) slathered on top. 

- Also optional and recommended - add cheddar cheese cubes to scrambled eggs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Tried a new recipe Sunday.  Chocolate Pecan Cobbler.  Got it from a Youtube channel called "Meat Church".  

It was awesomely good hot with Blue Bell home made vanilla ice cream, but even better cold the next morning.  

chocolate pecan cobbler 20 minutes later.jpg

chocolate pecan cobbler.jpg

Man alive. How long do you let that set before it's safe to eat?

Four and a half cups of sugar. Four and a half cups of Karo syrup. 13 ounces of chocolate chips. 1 hour at 350°. My lord, that ought to be lava. And it's got that pecan crust on top of it to hold the heat in.

Your tongue did not burn off?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

- Florida Style Grits and Eggs

- Cook grits as directed, you want them in-between firm and runny. Long cook or quick is fine - no instant.

- Scramble 3 - eggs with salt/pepper and cook to desired consistency.

- Put scrambled eggs on plate and top with grits, add slice of butter on top of grits. Salt and pepper as needed. Mix eggs and grits so that there are egg chunks mixed in with the grits.

- Optional, but recommended - top with COLD apple sauce (sweetened or not) slathered on top. 

- Also optional and recommended - add cheddar cheese cubes to scrambled eggs.

I also add crispy bacon crumbled up.  3 - 4 slices oughta do. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Man alive. How long do you let that set before it's safe to eat?

Four and a half cups of sugar. Four and a half cups of Karo syrup. 13 ounces of chocolate chips. 1 hour at 350°. My lord, that ought to be lava. And it's got that pecan crust on top of it to hold the heat in.

Your tongue did not burn off?

It sat for a little over an hour before we ate it.  I was fixing a chicken pot pie that had to be cooked at a higher temp than the cobbler, so I finished the cobbler first.

The recipe I copied was 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar and 2 1/2 cups of lite corn syrup.  I actually cut that back to 2 cups of each, and on the next making, will cut it back again to 1 1/2 each.  That based on the capability of my skillet.

The scoop of 'niller ice cream made sure no tongues were burnt in the consuming of said cobbler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

File under Desserts: BLUEBERRY BOMBS

(I didn't call 'em that, it's the name on the recipe)

Reading the excellent recipes preceding, I'm almost ashamed to post something like this.

Almost.

I am also remembering that Sherlock Holmes described himself as "the laziest devil to stand in shoe leather" so I reckon that justifies my posting this.

I believe it was on Farce Book somewhere, don't recall where, but I noted down the particulars and magnet-stuck them to the front of the fridge, along with three or four others, with intent to fix those three or four others sometime for supper. 

I'm retired and the wife's not, so supper is on me.

Anyway, this-here is the recipe, I just pulled them out of the oven and I'm waiting impatiently for them to cool, they smell reeeeally good!

Open a can of biscuits.

Wait until the wife is in another room before opening biscuits, preferably on the other side of the house, as she jumps and yelps when she hears Exploding Biscuits. I have no idea why they terrify her. She's a seasoned medical professional but she'll jump and yelp like she's been smacked across the backside to hear a tube of biscuits pop open.

Preheat oven to 400.

I'm lazy, I set out the can of biscuits, a cookie sheet, I'll turn the oven to 400 and tend the other prep while it's preheating. By the time the oven gives a happy little BEEP BEEP BEEP to let me know it's preheated, I've just finished prep and it's ready to go in.

Grease a cookie sheet and set it close by on something level so it doesn't over balance and hit the floor.

Learned that one the hard way, language omitted as this is a family venue.

Open a can of blueberry pie filling.

Separate each biscuit in two, either halves or 2/3 and 1/3, they don't like to cooperate so peel each biscuit apart as best as you can.

Set the deeper half in your off palm and use your other thumb to mash it into a shallow cup.

Add a good heaping teaspoon of blueberry pie filling.

Add the other (half, third, whatever) of the split apart biscuit dough, lay it on top and crimp well around the edges.

Place on greased cookie sheet.

When you have your eight biscuits set on the cookie sheet, as neatly or as randomly as you choose, I made two neat rows of four apiece and then straightened the rows and then switched a couple of them so they were symmetrical -- okay, I didn't quite do that, but I did make two rows of four, see reference to not overbalancing and hitting the floor.

Sprinkle with granulated sugar if you like, I did.

You could dust them with cinnamon, which I did not do because I only now thought of it.

Wish I'd thought of it earlier.

Anyway, bake in your preheated oven for about twenty minutes, until golden brown or however you prefer your baked biscuits to look.

Our oven doesn't heat to the temperature the dial is pointing to. Melissa said our oven is "cold."

Whether by accident or design, mine came out looking "Just Right!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Reading the excellent recipes preceding, I'm almost ashamed to post something like this.

Almost.

Never be ashamed of a receipt.  I recall me professor of Structural Geology telling us over and over that the most simple minded solution is often the best.  

Might be good using jarred mincemeat....

• Thanks 1

More about grits. Back in 76-78 I was in development of computer software for newspapers. Papers were doing away with lead based typesetting and lifetime contracts for the unions. I went to Baton Rouge State Times/Morning Advocate to install some software. The publisher took me out for lunch and told of the time he ordered grits in NYC. They charged him ten bucks. He said “Ma’am, if you come down my way and order $10 worth of grits, you better bring a truck.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We got a bunch of plums at the food bank....what to do, what to do.
I did a quick search and found:
PLUM AND WALNUT JAM
INGREDIENTS
1.5 kg plums (~3.25lb)
100 ml fresh squeezed orange juice (~1/3 cup)
300 ml water (~1.25 cups)
1 kg sugar (~5 cups)
½ tsp cinnamon
150 g walnuts, roughly chopped (~6 oz)
OPTIONAL:
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
2 Tbsp rum or brandy

(I used about twice as much cinnamon, more walnuts, and maybe a bit less orange juice - This ain't helicopter aerodynamics a little slop in measurements won't make a significant difference)

INSTRUCTIONS
Begin by washing your jars and lids in hot soapy water, then put the jars in the oven at 100°C / 210 °F / Gas ½ to sterilise.
Wash, stone and quarter the plums, then put them in a big pot with the orange juice and water. Bring to a simmer and cook really gently, stirring often to prevent the skins sticking to the bottom of the pot until the fruit and skins are soft. This will take 15 to 20 minutes, but don't rush it. It is important that the skins are softened before adding the sugar as otherwise they will harden.
Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir until it is completely dissolved, then turn the heat up and bring to the boil until setting point has reached (104.5°C or do the 'wrinkle test' with a plate from the freezer - see note). Usually I would say not to stir the jam during this time but plum jam has an unfortunate habit of sticking to the bottom of the pan, so keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
When the setting point has been reached,remove the jam from the heat, stir in the walnuts, orange zest and rum or brandy (if using).
Pour into sterilised jars (a jam funnel will make life easier here) and seal.
Store in a cool, dark place for up to 12 months and refrigerate once opened.
Quite yummy.
I think maybe next weekend get some vanilla ice cream and use this as a topping.
I also made a Plum Upside Down Cake,
Heat the oven to 350F. Stone and cut the plums into wedges. Heat an oven proof skillet, like black iron, add some butter and brown sugar, stir it about. Add the plums. Use two cups of pancake mix per instructions (OK, I cheated and used water with some buttermilk powder, you could use milk or buttermilk), pour over the plums in the skillet. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top starts to turn golden.
Using oven mitts or pot holders CAREFULLY invert onto a large plate (place plate on top of pan, and flip).
Edited by Subdeacon Joe

Hey Joe, what is "sale"?

https://iowahist.uni.edu/Frontier_Life/Life_in_Log_Home/life_in_a_log_home.htm

Interesting article, and they give a recipe for buckwheat pancakes.

>Pour 1 pint of warm water into a large pitcher or crock. Add 1/2 package of dry yeast; 1 teaspoon of sale and 2 tablespoons of dark molasses. Then add enough buckwheat flour to make a thin batter. (Scant 2 cups.) <

There's more to the recipe, but this shows where my question came from.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Hey Joe, what is "sale"?

https://iowahist.uni.edu/Frontier_Life/Life_in_Log_Home/life_in_a_log_home.htm

Interesting article, and they give a recipe for buckwheat pancakes.

>Pour 1 pint of warm water into a large pitcher or crock. Add 1/2 package of dry yeast; 1 teaspoon of sale and 2 tablespoons of dark molasses. Then add enough buckwheat flour to make a thin batter. (Scant 2 cups.) <

There's more to the recipe, but this shows where my question came from.

It's baking soda, from the Latin  saleratus  from sal aeratus - airy salt.  Sometimes you'll see it as "sal."  I had to look it up to be sure, but from the receipt using it in conjunction with molasses I knew it was baking soda.  Baking soda and molasses react vigorously and help give rise to things.  I can't think of baked goods that use molasses that don't call for baking soda.

It's not in these, but some useful lists of archaic terms:
https://preparednessadvice.com/old-cooking-definitions/

https://vintagerecipesandcookery.com/vintage-cooking-terms-glossary/

https://www.angelfire.com/md3/openhearthcooking/aaGlossaries-time-measure.html

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Thankee.

I was fair certain you would know.

Thanks.   There is a slight chance it could refer to potassium carbonate, also known as pearlash, for which the modern substitute is sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda.

"

pearlash (countable and uncountable, plural pearlashes)

1. (organic chemistry) A white amorphous or granular substance which consists principally of potassium carbonate and has a strong alkaline reaction. It is obtained by lixiviating wood ashes and evaporating the lye, and has been an important source of potassium compounds. It is used in making soap, glass, etc."

Safeway is having a deal on 80/20 ground beef, so I picked some up.  My wife was browsing a cookbook and found:

Deviled Hamburgers

1 ½ lb Ground Beef

1/3 Cup Chili Sauce

2 tsp Prepared Mustard

2 tsp Bottled Horseradish

2 tsp Minced Onion

2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 ½ tsp Salt

Fat or Oil for frying

Combine all ingredients except oil.  Shape into 2” diameter cakes.  Brown in a little hot fat for 4 min. per side, or broil 3-4 min. per side.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My notes: Do NOT try to make them much bigger, they will fall apart.  If you want them bigger, add some bread crumbs as a binder and allow to sit for half an hour.

This would seem to have many uses – crumble on top of Mac & Cheese, use to make Porcupine Meatballs, Top with cheese and wrap in a flour tortilla.  Just a few examples.

From the Good Housekeeping Cook Book, 1942, 1943, 7th edition Farber & Rinehart, Inc.  Printed by J.J. Little and Ives, Co, NY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:24 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's baking soda, from the Latin  saleratus  from sal aeratus - airy salt

And you helped again. I'm reading a western, and they're about to take a wagon train to California. There's a list of food to take.

For each adult 200 lbs of flour, 75 lbs of bacon, 30 lbs of pilot bread, 10 lbs of rice, 25 lbs of sugar, [h] bushel to a bushel of dried beans; 1 bushel of dried fruit, 2 lbs of saleratus, 10 lbs of salt, [h] bushel of cornmeal, 5 lbs of coffee, 2 lbs of tea, [h] bushel of corn, parched and ground, a keg of vinegar, and assorted medicines.

And thanks to you I knew what it was. B)

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

they will fall apart. 

An egg will help keep them together.