SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

GARLIC

do you know anything about garlic? Few folks do. There are two types, soft stem and hard stem. Soft stem is what you see in a garlic braid, they have white skins.  Hard stem garlic has a purple skin and around here are much less common. What I have also noticed is the white skins have many small cloves, you don’t want to bother peeling them. When I find the purple skins, they have larger cloves and are more fun to use.

just my observations of course and I don’t have to sleep with anyone.

adding a footnote here. I looked on Amazon for purple skin garlic. Most of it comes from Italy and Russia, in fact one of the products is named chesnok, the Russian word for garlic, чеснок.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CygOCuqNaBF/?igshid=M2MyMzgzODVlNw==

I've never had pig ears.  Not about to start, even though this looks interesting.

Screenshot_20231017-211224.thumb.png.4f85a7be9352d62347e24cd313c9b12c.png

On Andreyevski descent in Kyiv, in restaurant Kanapa, in the winter season they serve an excellent red borsch in a hollowed out cabbage. The meat is pig ears.

• Like 1

Georgian Chicken

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyi-wgSo1tl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The Instagram translation renders it thusly:

A dish that conquers with its taste from the first taste. It's very easy to repeat it at home! The original recipe of the dish was on water, but nowadays the recipe has acquired a modern interpretation using fatty milk, and better cream. I'll teach you the best recipe - it's 1000% win-win and the most delicious, at the same time a simple recipe with 3 ingredients!
Chicken -1.5 kg
Cream 20% -400 ml
Garlic -3 large heads on average 150-180 gr.
Salt to taste
That's it ! You don't need anything else - no spices, just for beauty you can add a couple of saffron petals, well, or a pinch of crushed pepper. How to cook ? Cut the chicken, clean it, salt it, put it in the oven at 200 degrees, fry it, grease in the process with the fat released. We clean garlic - if the garlic is in the arrow - we cut out the core. We press garlic through the abs or in the post. Drain the fat from the chicken and fry garlic until a golden color - all the bitterness disappears, only taste and aroma remains. Cut the finished chicken into portions, put in a heat-resistant form. Mix garlic with cream and salt to taste. Ideal if you mix cream and garlic into a homogenous sauce with a blender. Pour the chicken with sauce and put it in the oven for 15 minutes before boiling. The dish is ready, hurry up and eat while it's hot.

Split Pea Falafel

Ingredients

1 pound dried green split peas

1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered

8 garlic cloves, peeled

1 1/2 cups fresh dill, washed, woody stems removed, and patted dry 

2 cups fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems), washed and patted dry 

1 cup fresh parsley (leaves and tender stems), washed and patted dry

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)

1 tablespoon fine sea salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 handful sesame seeds (optional)

Sunflower or another neutral oil, for frying

Pita, tahini sauce, arugula, sliced tomatoes, and pickles, for serving

Directions

Place the peas in a bowl and cover with about 2 inches of water. Soak the peas, covered with a towel, unrefrigerated overnight (at least 8 hours and no more than 12 hours).

Drain the split peas, spread a clean towel on a baking sheet, spread the split peas on the towel and blot dry.

Add the onion and garlic to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Add the herbs to the onion mixture and blend until finely chopped.

Add the split peas to the food processor and blend until the mixture is a coarse paste. It should look like coarse sand (Goex Fg or Cannon Powder), but still firm enough to hold a shape with your hands.

(You can divide it and freeze portions after this step, before adding the spices and baking powder)

Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and add the spices, salt, and baking powder and use your hands to mix well. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Shape the mixture into golf-ball-sized rounds with your hands, like you would a meatball, then flatten slightly into round disks. Sprinkle each ball with sesame seeds on each side if using and press lightly to secure.

Heat about 2 cups of the vegetable oil in a high-sided saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat to 350 F—it should fill at least one-third of the pan. Test if the is hot enough by adding a little bit of falafel mixture into the oil, if it bubbles furiously and floats, it’s ready.

Carefully transfer the falafel disks into the oil without crowding the pan. They should be completely submerged in the oil. Adjust heat to maintain 350 F. Cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes total, flipping each disk halfway through cooking to make sure both sides are browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove the falafel and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining falafel.

Serve with pita bread, tahini sauce, arugula, sliced tomatoes, and pickles.  Don't forget the fresh fries!

Perfect Pasta.

I haven’t even made a dent in reading of this thread. SO far it’s a real journey.

I just wanted to share a little. The best pasta I ever ate was actually in a little dive place in Louisiana when I was much younger. Then of course was my cooking teacher Mom. However I never bothered watching her make pasta.

2 nights ago the wife made some Macaroni and cheese. (She won’t divulge her cheese mix to me. She did however divulge a few things that was a combination of watching me and reviewing some old Chefs video she found. Incidentally, Neither of us enjoy Al dente Pasta, and it’s the reason we generally wont order it eating out. Also, my sister ( cooks a fantastic pasta) had spent about 8 years in Italy while her husband was stationed there with the Air Force. SHe worked for a couple of different restaurants while there. Without further ado here it is. (Also my sister said they rarely served al dente pasta unlike here in the states)

First, Use a thermometer in the water pot. Do not salt the water. Watch for the first bubbles to start forming at the bottom of the pot. The temperature should now read around 160F (71 C) get pasta ready. When the temp reach about 176 F (80C) add the pasta. Watch and test the pasta. Choose a clean wall. Periodically, remove a Piece of pasta and throw it at the wall. After about 8 minutes of boiling. Do this every about every minute until the piece of pasta sticks to the wall (this was mom’s method, I know because I cleaned the wall). Once the piece of pasta sticks to the wall. Drain and set aside to be added to your sauce pan. Do not rinse or add to ice water.

Keep about a cup of the pasta water. use what you believe you need for your sauce.

The wife used her cheeses, (this is the part she wouldn’t divulge) added some pasta water and green chiles, She wants to use Poblano peppers next time. 

Once the cheese sauce was to her liking. And this is important for all sauces.

Add the pasta to the sauce for a few minutes on the stove. Then serve (never add the sauce on top of the plate of pasta has most restaurants Ive eaten at do.

Even after a night in the frig, it was still perfect and I couldn’t hardly stop eating it. Of course remember we don’t like al Dente Pasta.

To each their own. Happy Trails!

Edited by Tennessee Trapper Tom
  • Thanks 1

I find it to be very interesting that when SJ started this post. His first recipe had Vegemite included.

Might just try that one out when my Vegemite arrives for “The Queens” Birthday.

• Thanks 1

On the table for dinner tonight. Fast, simple and healthy.

One cliche of toasted Pepperidge Farms swirl Rye Pumpernickel.

One fillet of Orange roughy lightly seasoned both sides with Old Bay Seaoning and Saxon Goya with coriander and Anna to.

Meduim Hot pan with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of Olive Oil

Fresh homemade Guacamole.

Smear the toast thickly with the Guacamole, cut diagonally and top with the Orange Roughy.

Absolutely Killer. Could eat this everyday.

Meanwhile, “The Queen” has returned home and is making he famous Northern Ohio Farm style Country Mushroom Soup: Again, She wont let me see/know what she does. Evidently a secret passed down from her Grandma ( 1/2 Blackfoot) to all 4 girls that were raised by her. I can already taste what’s coming.

IMG_0489.jpeg

Edited by Tennessee Trapper Tom
  • Thanks 1

Dinner tonight.

About 6 ounces of thinly sliced beef that I cut into about 1/8 dice (roll it up, slice into strips, then cut across the strips), season with salt and pepper, heat about a TBS of lard in a black iron skillet, add the beef, cut about a quarter of a medium onion into 1/8 dice, add to pan, finely chop cilantro and Italian parsley, add to beef and onion.  Add about half a cup of water, one tsp of Knorr Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor, and a tiny pinch of Aleppo Pepper flakes.  Stir and allow to reduce to almost dry.  Serve in flour tortilla.

• Thanks 1

SJ that sounds really good. I like simple, fast, Healthy and tasty. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

SJ that sounds really good. I like simple, fast, Healthy and tasty. 

Thank you.  From when I got the stuff out of the fridge to serving was maybe 15 minutes.  She Who Must Be Obeyed was much pleased.  

• Haha 1

Salty like the ocean.

Did you ever hear that?  It’s how your water should be when you boil your dried pasta noodles. Just how damned salty is the bloody ocean any way?

Well, it varies, the ocean is less salty near the equator (more rain) and poles (ice melt) but seriously it’s not enough to make a difference. Everytime I have looked at the question I have come up with 35gms per liter of water. Oh crap you say, another fricken European here, I don’t speak metric. Okay ounce and a quarter of salt per quart of water, I say. It’s approximate, the ocean isn’t exact anyway, you should not ever try to be.

I never get served properly prepared pasta. Folks say too much salt for an old fart. Or oh we’ll only be throwing money down the drain.  Dammit put some salt in that water!  Salt is cheap, just do it!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Salty like the ocean.

Did you ever hear that?  It’s how your water should be when you boil your dried pasta noodles. Just how damned salty is the bloody ocean any way?

Well, it varies, the ocean is less salty near the equator (more rain) and poles (ice melt) but seriously it’s not enough to make a difference. Everytime I have looked at the question I have come up with 35gms per liter of water. Oh crap you say, another fricken European here, I don’t speak metric. Okay ounce and a quarter of salt per quart of water, I say. It’s approximate, the ocean isn’t exact anyway, you should not ever try to be.

I never get served properly prepared pasta. Folks say too much salt for an old fart. Or oh we’ll only be throwing money down the drain.  Dammit put some salt in that water!  Salt is cheap, just do it!

I have Mom's Salt Cellar on the stove surround.  I take the lid off and toss some in, guessing, half a tsp. to a half gallon pot.  Happenstance, spaghetti, meatballs and sausage, sauce I made yesterday from the last of our homegrown produce. Another trick I haven't found to do anything but make the pot harder to clean, is add a dash of Olive oil.  Supposed to keep the pasta from striking together.  

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I have Mom's Salt Cellar on the stove surround.  I take the lid off and toss some in, guessing, half a tsp. to a half gallon pot.  Happenstance, spaghetti, meatballs and sausage, sauce I made yesterday from the last of our homegrown produce. Another trick I haven't found to do anything but make the pot harder to clean, is add a dash of Olive oil.  Supposed to keep the pasta from striking together.  

I think that’s what most folks do, but it’s nowhere near enough.

GHAPAMA - Armenian Stuffed Pumpkin

* 1 Pumpkin

* 2 cups Basmati Rice rinsed

* 2 sticks Butter

1 cup Honey

1/2 cup Almonds, slivered works best

1/2 cup Walnuts roughly chopped

1 cup Dates pitted and chopped

1 cup Dried Apricots chopped

1 cup Dried Raisins or Cranberries

1 tsp Salt

2 tsp. Cinnamon

1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Parboil rice. 

Melt butter in skillet, add dried fruit and nuts, saute for a few minutes until fruit starts to plump up. 

Add honey and butter to rice, along with spices.  Mix in fruit and nuts, stuff into pumpkin.

Bake at 350 for 2 hours.  Serve.  Alternative is to put in your smoker at 325 to 350 for 2 hours.  

ANOTHER:

INGREDIENTS

3 small pie pumpkins or one larger pumpkin

2 cups water

1 cup basmati rice

1 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons melted butter

4 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 ¼ cup chopped walnuts

1 ¼ cup dried fruit e.g. raisins, cranberries, diced apricots, diced dates

1 finely chopped large green apple

INSTRUCTIONS

Wash the outside of the pumpkin(s) and cut the lids out in a starburst shape (for a tighter fitting lid and pretty presentation) or just in a plain circle. Then, clean out all the pulp, seeds and stringy fibers and rinse the inside out.

Pre-cook the basmati rice. First rinse therice under cool water in a fine mesh sieve. Then add the rice with 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt to a pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until about half-way done. Then remove the rice from heat and drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Place the rice in a large bowl to cool down quickly and allow enough room to stir in remaining ingredients.

Chop the apricots, dates or any other dried fruit that you are using in addition to the raisins and dried cranberries. Also core and dice up a green apple.

Melt the butter and honey together on low heat in a small saucepan.

Lightly coat the insides of the pumpkin(s) with approximately 1 tablespoon of the honey butter mixture. Pour the remaining honey butter mixture into the rice and stir. Then add the dried fruit, nuts and cinnamon to the bowl and toss until combined.

Fill the pumpkins or pumpkin with the rice mixture. Loosely pack the mixture into the pumpkins until it nearly fills the brim. Pour the reserved cooking liquid (from the rice) on top of each filled pumpkin (trying to distribute evenly). You can add 2-4 tablespoons water to each pumpkin if you don't think you have enough cooking liquid to finish cooking the rice.

Secure the pumpkins lids on each pumpkin and then place the pumpkins on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Lightly spray the outside of each pumpkin with cooking spray to give the pumpkins a glossy finish. Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1-1 ½ hours, or until the pumpkin flesh is soft. (You can test by gently poking it after about 50 minutes of baking and see if the flesh gives a little.)

To serve, cut vertically all around the pumpkin and serve a piece of the pumpkin along with a scoop of filling.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

This would also work with Yellow Squash, Zucchini, or even Sweet Potatoes.  I like it just for that Tomato Butter (great on chicken breast or pork). And I don't bother with the "Toppings."

HASSELBACK TOMATO-BUTTER EGGPLANT WITH BASIL & FETA

Eggplant:

1 medium eggplant

Salt

Olive oil

1/2 cup basil leaves

1/3-1/2 cup feta

For the butter (you will not need all of this, but you do not want to have too little):

6 tbsp softened butter

6 tbsp tomato paste

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp pepper

Toppings:

Sunflower seeds

Feta

Chopped basil

1️ Preheat the oven to 425.

2️ Make the butter. Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix to make a paste. If it is not combining, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds.

3️ Place the eggplant on a cutting board with two chopsticks on either side of the eggplant halves and make thin slices throughout. Repeat for the second half.

4️ Make the eggplant. Drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of an oven safe pan. Open the eggplant into a fan, add some salt, then add a smear of the butter to each layer. Next, add basil leaves throughout, every 3-4 layers. Repeat with the feta cheese. Place each half next to each other on the pan, then cover and bake for 35 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 and cook another 20-25 minutes, until the eggplant is tender. This may vary depending on the thickness.

5️ Top with the basil, feta and sunflower seeds.

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I have a question about how to prepare poppy seed filling.   I have about 2 pounds of dry poppy seeds.  I've tried finding how to prepare the sweet filling for poppy seed rolls. Some say to run through a grinder with the small plate, then cook with milk, butter and sugar or honey.  Some say cook, then run through a grinder.  Some don't mention a grinder.  

About a year ago I tried the cook then grind method and ended up with a mess.  Trying to grind those tiny seeds doesn't make sense, you lose so much in the grinder and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Have you any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I have a question about how to prepare poppy seed filling.   I have about 2 pounds of dry poppy seeds.  I've tried finding how to prepare the sweet filling for poppy seed rolls. Some say to run through a grinder with the small plate, then cook with milk, butter and sugar or honey.  Some say cook, then run through a grinder.  Some don't mention a grinder.  

About a year ago I tried the cook then grind method and ended up with a mess.  Trying to grind those tiny seeds doesn't make sense, you lose so much in the grinder and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Have you any suggestions?

Gosh I really don’t have any idea. I might try a different grinder or a different setting if it has settings. I would not try with my coffee grinder because I don’t want to screw up my coffee.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Gosh I really don’t have any idea. I might try a different grinder or a different setting if it has settings. I would not try with my coffee grinder because I don’t want to screw up my coffee.

Thanks.  The receipts I looked at were saying meat grinder with the smallest plate, not a coffee mill.

I think I'll go with one that doesn't call for grinding:

250 gr. poppy

350 gr. Milk

120 gr. Sugar 

25 gr. Butter

50 gr. Milk

15 gr. Corn starch

Combine poppy seeds, milk (350 g) and sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until the poppy seeds swell and the maximum amount of liquid has evaporated.  Add butter and milk/starch slurry. This may take 15-20 minutes.

• Like 1

Sweet Pepper Paste

Ingredients:

Red sweet pepper: 6 pcs.

Chili pepper: 2 pcs.

Garlic: 1 head

Olive oil

Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stems. Place on sheet tray with heads of garlic.  Drizzle with olive oil,  Roast at 375 for 30 minutes.  Place everything in bowl and cover with plasticv wratp to steam for about 15 minutes.  Remove skins from peppers - they should peel off easily.

Place in blender with:

Walnuts: 60 g. (1/2 cup)

Breadcrumbs: 30 g. (3 tbsp.)

Olive (vegetable oil): 70 g. (1/3 cup )

Paprika: 1/2 tsp.

Zira: 1/2 tsp.

Salt: 1 tsp.

Sugar: 1 tsp.

Pomegranate syrup (sauce) narsharab: 2 tbsp.

Blend until smooth. Place in bowl, create a swirl and add some more Pomegranate Molasses.

Enjoy. 

Good Dinner.
I had some red bell peppers to use up so this morning I made a batch of:

Sweet Pepper Paste

Ingredients:

Red sweet pepper: 6 pcs.

Chili pepper: 2 pcs.

Garlic: 1 head

Olive oil

Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stems. Place on sheet tray with heads of garlic.  Drizzle with olive oil,  Roast at 425 for 44 minutes.  Place everything in bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam for about 15 minutes.  Remove skins from peppers - they should peel off easily.

Place in blender with:

Walnuts: 60 g. (1/2 cup)

Breadcrumbs: 30 g. (3 tbsp.)

Olive (vegetable oil): 70 g. (1/3 cup )

Paprika: 1/2 tsp.

Cumin: 1/2 tsp.

Salt: 1 tsp.

Sugar: 1 tsp.

Pomegranate syrup (sauce) narsharab: 2 tbsp.

Blend until smooth.

For dinner I made
Garlic Shrimp With Smoked Paprika & Honey

Approx. 36 large shrimp, thawed, peeled + deveined (or prawns) (I used a dozen 16-20 shrimp)

3 Tbsp olive oil, divided

2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1.5 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp honey

Salt + pepper, to taste

Instructions

Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and place them in a small bowl. Toss them in 1 Tbsp olive oil and a bit of salt + pepper.

Heat up a frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot (a splash of water should sizzle on it), place the shrimp on the pan. They should be in a single layer with a bit of space between each piece – you may need to do this in stages, depending on size of pan.

Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side, then remove and set aside in a bowl. They’ll be opaque, pink, and slightly browned when done.

In the same pan, add remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil and sliced garlic. Sauté garlic for 1 minute, until browned and slightly fragrant. Stir in smoked paprika and honey, then add cooked shrimp back into the pan. Toss to coat. And added about ¾ of a cup of the Sweet Pepper Paste and about half a cup of water, Tossed to coat and served over rice.

My helper preps a few things for me for the weekend. I suggested a pasta salad. She had never made a pasta salad so I took this to be a teaching opportunity while having someone else do the work.  :-) I decided it must be colorful and a whole box of pasta would be too much for me, I would give her half for her effort. It must be colorful, so I used tricolor rotini. Three colors of peppers, none spicy, hot spicy does not agree with her.

the novel thing here was the dressing, you can buy a bottle of Italian dressing for around $4 but then I would have a 3/4 full bottle in my fridge FOREVER.  SO, here is my dressing recipe, pay close attention, I am not repeating this.

you need 1/2 cup oil, recommended as 1/4 cup veg oil and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. If you do this multiple times you can experiment, the bottle in the fridge never changes, except for going rancid. Ultimately it’s oil and vinegar PLUS. Add 3TBS red wine vinegar, or what ever vinegar you like or have on hand. Now for the plus!  1 tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp Italian spices (basil and oregano are good starters, I use a secret combination of 11 herbs and spices), tsp sugar (I left it out).

now for the addendum:

she goes to a baptist church, I expect this to show up in a 13x9 someday. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

A word of advice for this holiday season.

Do not allow a vegetarian, whether real or pretend, to cook your turkey.

I recall one time, I didn’t have a say in the matter but she asked me to make the gravy. I looked at the pan and said, “you threw away all the fat!”

Her inebriated brother came and told me what to do and I said ‘you do it’ and let him make his wall paper paste.

in retrospect, I could have just melted some butter and added something from the fond. But they were so into not letting the bird rest before carving, it wasn’t a pleasant experience at all.

• Sad 1