SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

I did some playing around with food today.  Rice pudding using Apple Juice.

Apple Juice Rice Pudding

1 cup Long Grain Rice

3 ½ cups Apple Juice

2 Cinnamon Sticks (or some Ground Cinnamon)

1 Cup Raisins

Butter to grease the crock.

Butter inside of crock (or spray with not stick spray)

Place all ingredients into a slow cooker (1/5 to 2 qt size).

Cook on high for about 1.5 hours, or until the rice is well swollen but not fully cooked.  Stir about every half hour.
Turn off slow cooker and allow rice to cook using the residual heat, about another two hours.
Remove Cinnamon Sticks.  Allow to cool.

This is VERY sweet.  To cut the sweetness:
Fold about 2 cups of the cooked Rice Pudding with one made package of Dream Whip or some Cool Whip, with some Vanilla or Almond Extract added.
Eat soft as is or place in a container to freeze as “ice cream” or pour into a Graham Cracker Crust and freeze as a pie.  |
Walnuts would be a good addition to the “ice cream”

Could also cut the sweetness using half Apple Juice and half Milk of your choice.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

I've been looking at a lot of receipts on Instagram and a lot of them call for salo.  Would pancetta be a reasonable substitute?

Salo is more like if you take the fat from a really fatty thick slice of bacon, no lean to it. Thick, just under 1/8”. Of course it can be other ways, I only had it as a tasty bit when I ordered borsch at Lasunka in Odesa on the corner of dyerabassivskaya and yekaterinskaya, a Ukrainian restaurant where everyone wore vishyvanka. We would get served a tasty bit of half shot of gorilka and a bite on a toothpick, bite was slice of dill pickle, 2cm square piece of salo and I think half an olive.

Lasunka = gourmand, tasty

gorilka = vodka (c’mon Ukrainian, of course)

vishyvanka = classic Ukrainian embroidery, blouses, skirts, shirts, vests, trousers

Odesa only has one s in Ukrainian 

PS: pronounced sala because the emphasis is on a different syllable, like spacibo is pronounced spaciba, (though dyakuyu is Ukrainian) and borsch does not have a t though they would also say borsh 

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Salo is more like if you take the fat from a really fatty thick slice of bacon, no lean to it. Thick, just under 1/8”. Of course it can be other ways

Thanks.   I've been wracking my brain for a substitute.  From the receipts I've seen on how to make salo it seemed like either pancetta or guanchalle would come closest to it.  I thought bacon would be too smoky and salty.

Since you are, to me anyway, a known quantity on both culinary skills and Slavic cuisine I thought it worth a shot asking you for your opinion.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.   I've been wracking my brain for a substitute.  From the receipts I've seen on how to make salo it seemed like either pancetta or guanchalle would come closest to it.  I thought bacon would be too smoky and salty.

Since you are, to me anyway, a known quantity on both culinary skills and Slavic cuisine I thought it worth a shot asking you for your opinion.

Not smoked, more flaccid than I remember for pancetta. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Not smoked, more flaccid than I remember for pancetta. 

Since it's usually being sliced into a cooked dish, or sliced thin and rolled with potato slices and then cooked in the things I'm seeing I don't think it would matter much.

ON ADULTING

or, the Rebellious Breakfast!

My wife quoted me a half-remembered sentence from something she'd read, something to do with one's first apartment, and the first peanut butter sandwich made in said apartment in the long silent hours of darkness, and how that was absolutely the very best peanut butter sandwich!

I considered that phrase as I considered my breakfast choices.

Usually it's good old boring oats with a short handful of walnuts (or whatever other nuts are available), a good double shake of cinnamon, a quick drizzle of honey, water, microwave, eat, big deal, so what.

Good old boring oats.

My attention was drawn to the pan of brownies on the stove.

Y'see, my beautiful bride told me to stop bringing her doughnuts from the in-store bakery, she was trying to behave and she's trying to improve her dietary choices, but brownies were OK so I made a big pan of them.

Emphasis on big.

It was a box mix from Sam's Club with a good handful of Ohio walnuts (stronger flavor than the English walnuts in the grocery store) and a like amount of chocolate chips uniformly sprinkled on top just before it goes in the oven.

I stood there with a steaming mug of coffee in one hand, a steaming bowl of oats in the other, staring at the brownies, remembering as a lad how sternly Mama admonished us that YOU ARE NOT GOING TO EAT CAKE FOR BREAKFAST! -- and I smiled, just a little.

Chronologically, I'm crowding my seventh decade pretty close.

Somewhere inside this long tall carcass there's a little boy eyeballing that cake.

The oats made a good breakfast this morning, but y'know, a Rebellious Second Breakfast of brownies (with extra walnuts and chocolate chips) was pretty good too!

• Haha 1

Bill Cosby had a routine (back when it was still okay to think that he was funny).

His wife told him one morning that it was his turn to get the children ready for school. That she was going to stay in bed.

The first kid to come down was the baby - 5, maybe 6 years old. And when he got out the box of cereal she announced that she did not want cereal. Pointing to the counter she said that she wanted chocolate cake.

He was about to refuse when suddenly the ingredients list flashed before his eyes. Wheat, and milk, and eggs.

And he cuts her big slice of chocolate cake. And a glass of grapefruit juice to go with it (that always made me gag every time I heard it).

The other kids come downstairs and want to know how come she's eating chocolate cake. She said that Dad gave it to her. And they all announced that they wanted chocolate cake also.

Then Mom comes downstairs. "Why are these children eating chocolate cake for breakfast!!!???!?!?!??"

And the children turned on him. "Dad said we had to. We told him we wanted milk and eggs and cereal, but he said we had to eat chocolate cake."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Bill Cosby had a routine (back when it was still okay to think that he was funny).

His wife told him one morning that it was his turn to get the children ready for school. That she was going to stay in bed.

The first kid to come down was the baby - 5, maybe 6 years old. And when he got out the box of cereal she announced that she did not want cereal. Pointing to the counter she said that she wanted chocolate cake.

He was about to refuse when suddenly the ingredients list flashed before his eyes. Wheat, and milk, and eggs.

And he cuts her big slice of chocolate cake. And a glass of grapefruit juice to go with it (that always made me gag every time I heard it).

The other kids come downstairs and want to know how come she's eating chocolate cake. She said that Dad gave it to her. And they all announced that they wanted chocolate cake also.

Then Mom comes downstairs. "Why are these children eating chocolate cake for breakfast!!!???!?!?!??"

And the children turned on him. "Dad said we had to. We told him we wanted milk and eggs and cereal, but he said we had to eat chocolate cake."

"Dad is Great, give us the chocolate cake!"  I was on a ladder painting the living room in the first house we bought after we were married.  The TV was on, and his show, I got laughing so hard I almost came off the ladder.

Edited by Rip Snorter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

BREAKFAST: LAZINESS, AS A VIRTUE!

Today's is a little different: it contains no ingredients, simply the method, and the explanation.

Y'see, back when dirt was young and so was I, when I first began my matriculation through the second poorest school district in the state, they didn't screen for SQUAT.

As a result, my sway back wasn't diagnosed until I was past my half century mark, after a lifetime in fire, police, EMS, nursing, after having started in childhood in the family oilfield (technology of the late 1800s/early 1900s) ... in other words, standing at the stove to fry up pancakes, hurts like homemade hell.

Instead of frying on a griddle or in a skillet:

Grease a cookie sheet.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Pour your batter onto the greased sheet, tilt the sheet to cover completely.

Bake for about fifteen.

When a pleasant golden brown, fetch it out, set it on top of the stove to cool.

Make one long cut down its middle, then cut three or four times crossways and sling square pancakes onto your plates.

My wife was much amused at the prospect of Square Pancakes, she allowed as they were good.

Much easier on my poor old back!

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:34 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Have to love translation programs:

Original

Screenshot_20230903-073133.thumb.png.bb0e1d0d5dc4fe9b29764945c4567a5c.png

Translation:

Screenshot_20230903-073150.thumb.png.92042c7c81a0b65eecd1d408ea734a27.png

"Speed Trigger" :lol:

Translation programs can get you in trouble. See that 180 UAH - it should be grams.  But it’s Ukrainian money.

2573E145-A17C-4A85-84FB-9629135EF9B1.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Translation programs can get you in trouble. See that 180 UAH - it should be grams.  But it’s Ukrainian money.

2573E145-A17C-4A85-84FB-9629135EF9B1.jpeg

I didn't even notice that.  I knew it was grams.

Just like when the transition calls for 800 grams of "torture" I know that it's flour.  But considering that I'm using Google Lens to translate the text from a screenshot, I'm surprised it's not worse.

• Haha 1

An Onion Pie

18th Century version:

"Wash and pare some potatoes and cut them in slices, peel some onions, cut them in slices, pare some apples and slice them, make a good crust, cover your dish, lay a quarter of a pound of butter all over, take a quarter of an ounce of mace beat fine, a nutmeg grated, a tea-spoonful of beaten pepper, three tea-spoonfuls of salt; mix all together, strew some over the butter, lay a layer of potatoes, a layer of onions, a layer of apples, and a layer of eggs, and so on till you have filled your pie, strewing a little of the seasoning between each layer, and a quarter of a pound of butter in bits, and six spoonfuls of water; close your pie, and bake it an hour and a half. A pound of potatoes, a pound of onions, a pound of apples, and twelve eggs will do.

— GLASSE, HANNAH, “THE ART OF COOKERY MADE PLAIN AND EASY” P. 259"

21st Century

Ingredients

4 small Yukon Gold potatoes

2 large Granny Smith apples

2 medium yellow onions

8 large eggs

3 tsp. Kosher salt

1 tsp. freshly cracked pepper

½ to 1 grated nutmeg

½ to 1 tsp. mace

4 oz. butter

frozen puff pastry or homemade pie crust

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Boil and slice the eggs.

Pare and slice the potatoes, apples and onions. Slice everything ¼ inch thick. Place the apples and potatoes in a bowl of water to prevent oxidation.

Roll out the bottom crust and set it into the pie pan.

Mix the salt, pepper, nutmeg and mace to together in a single bowl.

Drain and dry the apples and potatoes with a towel.

Begin the layers from the bottom up with potatoes, then eggs, then apples and then onions. Sprinkle each layer with a little of the seasoning and little bits of butter. Continue filling and seasoning the pie until you are out of ingredients.

Put a top crust on the pie and crimp the edges. Cut 4 or 5 slashes on top crust to allow steam to vent out.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown.

https://www.tiktok.com/@18thcenturycook/video/7274686938068618538

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

I ran across this

https://www.facebook.com/reel/342980641416595?mibextid=9drbnH

Ground beef, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, oregano, egg, flour, and baking powder.  Mix and cook like pancakes.

So I had to go looking.  Found:

Mmmmm boy!

Maybe make a white gravy to use as syrup!

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Thanks 1

We get stuff from the local food bank, and we are each eligible once a month for a "Senior Box."  There is always some powdered milk in it.  Other than using it in coffee I don't use it much, so we have quite a bit of it.  I ran across an Instagram Reel that seems interesting.  Text for the syrup is the Instagram translation from the Russian, the "assembly" instructions at the end I cobbled from watching the Reel.

Powdered Milk Nut Candy

300 gr of Sugar

250 ml of Water

a pinch of Citric Acid or 1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice

Boil the syrup after boiling for about 15-18 minutes, just determine the availability of the syrup by sample on a soft ball (take some syrup from the middle of the boiling mass and drop it into cold water. If the syrup has dissolved, it means it is not ready, if it is possible to roll a soft ball with your fingers, it is ready). By the way, my first mistake was that I chewed the syrup. That is why this moment is very important - the ball should be soft, not hard like a lollipop.

80 gr butter

vanillin

200 gr of dry milk

100 gr of any nuts

Put vanilla and butter in heat proof bowl.  Pour in syrup, mix well.  Stir in Powdered Milk.

Pour onto parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with nuts, chill, cut into diamonds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you get this when you go there?

There's the video of the two girls butchering and cooking a sheep.

Below that there's another video of the two girls doing something, and they've got what looks like giant flatirons, and they fill them with hot coals and put them on top of the meat while it's grilling on the bottom, so it Cooks quicker

And there was a third video of the two girls making a dessert. They hollowed out a watermelon and filled it full of berries and sugar syrup and let it solidify and then sliced it and ate it like it was watermelon slices.

Hopefully this is the link to that video.

https://video-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.25447-2/379913019_1494197437994851_8998965260012006270_n.mp4?_nc_cat=102&vs=b37a325f759d3ca8&_nc_vs=HBksFQAYJEdEc0RwUlpqRjRUejlrNEZBSDZyR0xVNXZfSjhibWRqQUFBRhUAAsgBABUAGCRHSmxwbmhiU2FTU2lmUm9KQUlkQWZ1YTB4ZjVIYnY0R0FBQUYVAgLIAQBLB4gScHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmVfcmVjaXBlATENc3Vic2FtcGxlX2ZwcwAQdm1hZl9lbmFibGVfbnN1YgAgbWVhc3VyZV9vcmlnaW5hbF9yZXNvbHV0aW9uX3NzaW0AKGNvbXB1dGVfc3NpbV9vbmx5X2F0X29yaWdpbmFsX3Jlc29sdXRpb24AHXVzZV9sYW5jem9zX2Zvcl92cW1fdXBzY2FsaW5nABFkaXNhYmxlX3Bvc3RfcHZxcwAVACUAHIwXQAAAAAAAAAAREQAAACa4%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%3D%3D&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=637933&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6Im9lcF9oZCJ9&_nc_ohc=ibcsTEt6DwIAX8AAKf2&_nc_rml=0&_nc_ht=video-mia3-2.xx&oh=00_AfA3F98Bxt3q3sd4bv2JkWxA6ROAu0lAD2cKm7jx-d9mRQ&oe=651B4AC5&_nc_rid=362082207803551

On 9/29/2023 at 4:06 PM, Alpo said:

And there was a third video of the two girls making a dessert. They hollowed out a watermelon and filled it full of berries and sugar syrup and let it solidify and then sliced it and ate it like it was watermelon slices.

I did something like that. Hollowed out a long watermelon, leaving the ends coming up like the head and tail of a whale. Filled the empty body with mixed fruit.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

An Onion Pie

BabyGirl makes a real onion pie & there ain't no apples in it.  Or taters.

On Brownies:  I thought I made the best (from scratch) on the planet until a friend convinced me to use Food Lion brownie mix.  I cannot compete

Edited by MizPete
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:11 AM, Alpo said:

Did you notice that baked beans was an entree, not a vegetable side?

quite traditional really. In the Puritan settement of Boston, folks could not work on the Sabbath and prepared a pot of beans to be cooked overnight on a cooling stove and consumed on Sunday. Of course it was a main dish.

• Like 1

Armenian Potato Salad

Ingredients

2 lbs russet potatoes about 6 small to medium size, peeled

1 cup red onion very finely diced (about ½ red onion)

1 bunch parsley finely chopped

2 green onions finely chopped

½ bunch fresh dill finely chopped

1 jalapeno finely diced (optional for a spicy kick)

For the dressing:

½ cup Extra virgin olive oil

1 Lemon Zest and juice

3 cloves garlic grated

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Start by prepping your potatoes. Add the peeled potatoes to a large enough pot – if they’re large, cut them in half to reduce cooking time. Cover completely with water, add a generous pinch of salt and cook for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well and when they’re cool enough to handle, cut them into desired size pieces.

While the potatoes cook, prepare and chop the rest of the ingredients and mix together the dressing. Once the potatoes are cut up and still warm, add them to a large bowl, top with remaining ingredients and drizzle the dressing right over. Its important that the potatoes are still warm here so it can soak up the dressing!

This can be eaten right away, at room temp or straight out of the fridge. Enjoy!

Another Demon Cake, from the late 1800s.  More a Gingerbread Cake, and so inline with the convention of using "deviled" as a description of things that are highly spiced.  I know, it's "demon" in this case.

https://food52.com/recipes/82333-demon-cake-recipe

And a version with chocolate

https://www.goodlifeeats.com/easy-chocolate-gingerbread-cake/