SASS Wire Forum

Alt 0176 = °

Did you know that you can create the ° symbol using your computer keyboard by holding down the ALT key and typing the number 0176.

's and 's there are also lots of other symbols you can create by holding down the ALT key and typing numbers?  But it doesn't work on Mac's. :(

https://www.alt-codes.net/

There are three of them I use all the time, but off to top of my head I couldn’t tell you the codes without my full keyboard in front of me. I’ve been using them so long I know them by the pattern on the 10 key rather than the number. Degrees is one, plus or minus is code 0177. And the diameter symbol is 0216. Yes, I had to move my hand like I was typing to figure out the numbers. (On my phone now, not on my computer).

é    alt-0233    acute with lowercase "e" roué
á    alt-0225    acute with lowercase "a"
ñ    alt-0241    as in piñata or el Niño
ü    alt-0252    as in Der Füehrer
•    alt-0149    • list dot
·    alt-0183    · indent dot

…    alt-0133    elipses
32°    alt-0176    degree symbol
©    alt-0169    copyright symbol
®    alt-0174    registered symbol
™     alt-0153    trade mark

£    alt-0163    pound currency
€    alt-0128    euro currency
¢    alt-0162    cent currency
¨    alt-0168    umlaut

μ    alt-0181    micron symbol

±    alt-0177    plus-minus symbol
¹    alt-0185    superscript-1
²    alt-0178    superscript-2
³    alt-0179    superscript-3

λ    U-039B        lambda
√    alt-251        square root
π    alt-227        pi

½    alt-0189
¼    alt-0188
¾    alt-0190

My, my, my!  How things have changed!

I can remember in the early days of the Wire and the Saloon having to help convince some of the users not to leave the cap lock on all of the time.

Now, folks are rattling off alt symbol codes like they are talking reloading recipes.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

My, my, my!  How things have changed!

I can remember in the early days of the Wire and the Saloon having to help convince some of the users not to leave the cap lock on all of the time.

Now, folks are rattling off alt symbol codes like they are talking reloading recipes.

AND JUST WHEN THINGS WERE GOING SO WELL….:P

23 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

AND JUST WHEN THINGS WERE GOING SO WELL….:P

Personally, I've always preferred the folks that used the cap lock to the folks on the other end of the spectrum that won't capitalize or punctuate at all. 

I just skip the word salads- if what they are saying isn't not important enough to them for them to put forth an effort to make it clear, then I'm not wasting my time translating it.  They are even worse than ... the 'stream..... of conscious' posters that use an ellipse or... string of periods to..... split up sentence fragments to figure out what they are trying to say.

I use Alt-0153 quite regularly.
I'm a believer in Lead Therapy™ being applied to thugs and rioters.
It is a permanent, inexpensive and highly effective remedy for domestic terrorism.

Archived