SASS Wire Forum

45-60?

Dantankerous

Supposin' a feller was wantin' to get into a 45-60 1876. He'd need to reload his ammo. BP only, of course. What's the best method for cutting 45-70 brass down to make it work in a 45-60?

Any tricks, helpful comments/suggestions appreciated. 

Looks like trim dies are thin on the ground right now.  I would recommend the Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions. If you like, I'll scan the page and see if I can post it.  I have cut cases (not this particular caliber) with a trim die and a jewelers saw, then chamfered and full length sized.  I used to fool with various wildcats and conversions so bought a RCBS Motorized trimmer years ago.  If you aren't shooting a lot of volume conversions are fine.  Personally, I'd back order here and a couple of other places.  https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-60-winchester-cases-formed-4560win.html

I would chuck them in my lathe....

Then inside ream them the first 3/4 inch from the mouth to take out the tapper.

Or just buy Star-Line Brass.   I would use Remington brass as it is cheaper up here and I have lot's of it.

Jabez Cowboy

It would depend on whether the '76 is an original or a replica. I have no experience with a replica, but I do know that the originals had a slightly thinner rim than .45-70. In that case you would need to thin the rims of modern .45-70 brass FROM THE FRONT so as not to shallow the primer pocket. The easiest way to do this would be on a lathe, but it can be done using a drill press or even a power drill held in a bench vise.  You need to get an expansion lag normally used to screw a bolt into masonery or brick. Just take a case to the hardware store and find one that just fits into the case mouth. Insert the lag into the case mouth and tighten it enough to hold.  Chuck the other end of the lag into the drill.  I would use a needle file to take metal off the front of the case rim, measuring often.  If you use a lathe, chuck the lag into the chuck and support the end of the case in a rotating center in the tailstock. Use a cutter, but a file would also work.

When i cut down 45-70 to 45-60. I size the 45-70, then put them in a 1x2 peace of hard wood that i drilled a hole in. The wood is a couple of thousands longer than i need it.

Put the 45-70 in it. Take it to my grinder, grind cartridge down to wood.

Then i take them and put them in a hand lathe then finish them up.

After you have the length. You will need to deburr inside and outside the case.

You can do 30 cases in about 45 minutes.

Resize load and shoot.

18 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

It would depend on whether the '76 is an original or a replica...

Uberti replica. For years I've had a hankerin' for that big, obnoxious Tom Horn rifle. I have located a few but the ammo scarcity issue had me concerned.

I am tempted to go the 1886 route for ease of ammo as I already have and reload for 45-70 and the action on the '86 is stronger but I don't see me shooting anything more than BP with this/these anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the rim thickness as well. Very interesting stuff.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Not to hard to make your own.

kR

I understand the how's and whys of trimming a 45-70 back to correct length. It's the case rim size issue that may or may not be a problem that I've been reading about. Quite possibly it's just an issue with original Winchester '76's and not so much the Uberti guns?

All my brass for 45/60 is trimmed down Winchester 45/70.Mine is aCimarron/Pedersoli.Its a tack driver.Working on a original in 40/60 rite now..

Largo

I have an Original 45-60 Manufactured in 1882.

I also have a Uberti in 45-60. It is the Rifle that was used in the magazine Guns of the Old West.

Neither Rifle has Problems cycling cut down 45-70's.

At 300 yds very accurate. 

Haven't shot them past 300 yds.

10 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I understand the how's and whys of trimming a 45-70 back to correct length. It's the case rim size issue that may or may not be a problem that I've been reading about. Quite possibly it's just an issue with original Winchester '76's and not so much the Uberti guns?

It will all depend on what the rifle's headspace is. As there is no SAAMI spec for 45-60, firearms tend to be all over the map. 

Around 15 tears ago. A Cowboy i know went to Western Kansas, on a Buffalo Hunt.

He used a 76, original Winchester. 

He took a Buffalo with one shot with his 76, in 45-60.

Don't know if it was luck or good shooting.

It is a proven game taker.

The 45-70 is a more powerful round for longer ranges. 

Most shooters will not use their rifles for hunting. 

If shooting at 200-300 yards if what you are planning on shooting at. The 45-60 will do it.

Plus, you will stand out a little. The steel targets don't care if it is a 45-70 or 45-60 you are using.

I don't own a lever gun in 45-70. 

I do like my, 76 thou.

3 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Don['t. 45-60 brass is available. I like to look at the case head and know what it is.

Agree.

I haven't found any 45-60 brass or loaded BP 45-60 in my searching. Would probably need a second mortgage to buy loaded 45-60 though.

Archived