SASS Wire Forum

Muzzle Down Gun Carts?

July Smith

Maybe this has been covered before but I could not find it with the search and I didn't find anything in the Shooters Handbook... 

Anyways, I have been kicking around the idea of making a new gun cart and would prefer to go with a muzzle down style.  Back when I started the guy that first took me to a SASS club had stated that only muzzle up style carts were allowed.  Since that time I have mainly seen muzzle up style carts, but not once have I ever seen a rule requiring this.  Are muzzle down carts allowed at the majority of clubs?  I would like a muzzle down style cart simply because I like to spray a little Ballistol down the barrels and would prefer it to drip out the muzzle, not down into the action.

No rule at all on gun carts. The vast majority are muzzle up. But I’ve seen muzzle down, and quite a few horizontally mounted guns in cart. 

most prefer muzzle up as that’s how we generally carry them. (Which was hard to get used to as I had always been taught muzzle down!)

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The vast majority are muzzle up.

I have always wondered the reason behind this.  Every other shooting sport I have been to muzzle down has either been required or is at least the norm in trap, skeet, sporting clays, and 3-gun.

Our first temporary cart had muzzle down holders for the long guns.  Just make sure you park your cart in a location that will allow you to pull the long guns and rotate them muzzle up without sweeping anyone.

Our local club rule says that guns must be muzzle up, action open from the time they leave your vehicle until the time they are returned to your vehicle except on the Stage/ Firing Line.

Randy

All of the clubs I shoot at allow both. The majority are muzzle up carts, but there are a few muzzle down carts. I imagine there are more muzzle up carts simply because it's less chance of sweeping anyone getting from cart to loading table.

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

I could not find it with the search and I didn't find anything in the Shooters Handbook

SHB pg 17

Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match.

With muzzle down in the cart, actions open, and when ready to go to the loading table, one of the long gun muzzle-up transitions will need to be done with one hand. I envision that requiring some concentration and hand strength...pretty awkward, I think. The cart will not likely be facing a berm (safe direction). That could be especially challenging if a gun was in a scabbard and action closed.

Remove rifle and shotgun from gun cart muzzle down carry to loading table muzzle down face down range raise muzzle to horizontal and lay on loading table I don't think we swept anybody here have I missed something

19 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Remove rifle and shotgun from gun cart muzzle down carry to loading table muzzle down face down range raise muzzle to horizontal and lay on loading table I don't think we swept anybody here have I missed something

That's okay if not required to carry guns muzzle-up.

Muzzle up allows you the opportunity to stare at the end of your gun barrels when you move your cart.

• Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Muzzle up allows you the opportunity to stare at the end of your gun barrels when you move your cart.

• Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Bingo! If you are carrying several long guns, and the cart is not set up to hold the long guns strictly vertical when it is in motion,, you potentially sweep anyone you pass close to!

Archived