SASS Wire Forum

Howdy 

I have a Magma caster that is primarily for my wife & I..for a little bit of pocket money & to help other cowboys out at a reasonable price.

There is one Cowboy  who says don't bother sizing or lubing, often thought of the lubing part myself, at the slow velocities we are shooting 'why bother'..maybe the rifle but the pistol should be ok.

I mean if the barrels are shiney clean & no pitting what's the chance of lead fouling..oh & the cowboy I mentioned hasn't had a problem..well at least that he's told me about.!

What say 'ye.... This is only in relation to guns in  CAS..nothing else.

I PC my bullets and then run them through a Lee die. I find if I don't size them I get bullets that want to catch the rim of the case and deform it.

If you shoot APP you don't need to lube them. If a straight walled case and will chamber don't size 'em. I just tumble lube the Lee way. Works great for me and less work. If sizing is needed I too use a Lee sizer and tumble lube. My method for years. Good casting!

Used a magma caster for years, for CAS, and BPCR sillouette.   had RCBS molds modified to work on the mold handles.   worked great.    Sized and Lubed every round.   did not want to take a chance with leading.   good luck with your  Magma Caster

It's very hard to get alloy to cast to the same consistent diameter especially when shooting non-commercial alloy mixes.  So, I size all slugs to ensure 0.001" over groove diameter, where leading will be almost non-existent from gas cutting.

And I lube since I am shooting smokeless.  Soft homemade lube, close to the old NRA formula.   Works to decrease leading to nothing,, leaves barrel shiny from a little bit of carnuba wax in the lube. 

All to just about guarantee that I never have to scrub lead from barrels, and can hold 2" 25 yard groups if I need to.

good luck, GJ

58 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

close to the old NRA formula

I still have some old stock of Javilina lube that I understand is based on the NRA formula.  I'm using it on my black powder loads.  Seems to work fine. 

IE liquid Alox, I do relube after sizing as Lee recommends it. I go skimpy the second time and it goes really quickly. 

5 hours ago, Jackson Rose, SASS #45478 said:

I size and lube all my bullets. In a 6 cavity mold you can get minor variations in diameter, sizing eliminates all that. I use a homemade lube that is soft and you don't need to heat the lubrisizer. lube is compatible with BP, subs and smokeless.

Howdy Jackson..Going on nearly 3 years now since you visited us Down -under..time sure flys..hope all is well..say hello to your lovely bride Mumma...best wishes from Mohawk 'n McGinty.

2 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

For those of you that use Lee liquid lube and then size, do you re-lube after sizing?

I just load as cast and use a Lee FCD. Swages things down to fit. Makes the press kind of klunky but I don't have to size my .38s anymore.

Mohawk have you looked into Hitek (sp) them?

A mate casts all my lead pills and hitek coats them for me in green. Its a time consuming process for sure though, he uses an old oven for the drying part.

Great pills, no leading and nice to handle and he's slowly building up quite a customer base with CAS and IPSC shooters.

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Mohawk have you looked into Hitek (sp) them?

A mate casts all my lead pills and hitek coats them for me in green. Its a time consuming process for sure though, he uses an old oven for the drying part.

Great pills, no leading and nice to handle and he's slowly building up quite a customer base with CAS and IPSC shooters.

I have tried coating..yes to time consuming for me & really just extra $$ for nothing other than a  'pretty bullet.

I don't concern myself with lead levels..I mean I'm careful but not paranoid..get checked every 3 months , usually between 10-15...I ain't gunna' give up shooting so it is what it is !!

Powder coated bullets eliminate all leading. Or I haven't seen any. And mine are far from pretty, LOL. I'd rather the extra step to ensure I have no leading. Usually I shake and bake method sift and dump in a pile to cook. Remove drop in bucket of water , dry and then size on the Lee sizer.

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Do you ever use lead out of the butts Mohawk?

I have used some range lead but not a lot, use lead from the local scrap yard..don't use much tin with it either, just soft lead  for 'ALL the Cowboy guns & works fine.

Purchased  5 ton of reclaimed shot some years back & was melting that but not happy with the arsenic so just wash , clean & graphite and tumble  for reuse  in Trap..polish's up like new

Archived