SASS Wire Forum

Reloading question

Chicago kidd

Max length is 1.76, trim to 1.75.  Measure them and trim the ones that are over 1.76.   Unless you are loading match ammo, they don't all need to be the same length, just can't be longer than 1.76

25 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

I want to try reloading 223. Do all cases have to be trimmed. I noticed the once fired shells are all different sizes what do you do then 

For Zombies and plinking, no all cases do not need to be trimmed.  Run the brass though a case gage.  Only brass that extends past the case gage needs to be trimmed..

For large quantities I run all brass though my progressive press to resize then power case trimmer.

Depends. For target ammo in AR or bolt I trim once using the Lyman E-ZEE trimmer.    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012862472?pid=128681

My 223 sizing dies have a carbide button and I still lube inside with Hornady One Shot Case lube. After that I don't see much change for the loads I'm using. For AR I use a slight taper crimp (Lee), for bolt no crimp.

I bought a WFT (Worlds Finest Trimmer). It's so easy to use that I sized two buckets of brass and trimmed them all as I had time. Now all my brass is the exact same length and crimps the same. As time allows, I will separate by headstamp and use each for different loads. I have thousands loaded and thousands prepped so I have time.

I trim and de-burr all my new or once fired brass.

Pretty surprising, the variances in the same lots.

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I bought a WFT (Worlds Finest Trimmer). It's so easy to use that I sized two buckets of brass and trimmed them all as I had time. Now all my brass is the exact same length and crimps the same. As time allows, I will separate by headstamp and use each for different loads. I have thousands loaded and thousands prepped so I have time.

Tell me about this trimmer. All I have ever used is the Lee trimmer…they suck! Can you do pistol brass with them as well?

First sort your Brass !  Keep it sorted if you already know which cases are from the same lot. Factory loads have a lot # on the inside flap on one end or the other.

At the very least sort by Brand of cases .

Get a Good Loading Manuel !!!

Then trim to length . 

Jabez Cowboy

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Tell me about this trimmer. All I have ever used is the Lee trimmer…they suck! Can you do pistol brass with them as well?

I upgraded from a Lee to a little Crow gun works trimmer. Set the length, put in cordless drill and start trimming.  Worked a lot better for me. Midway and Brownells carry them in various calibers. $75.  
LF. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just bottleneck cases. It works off the shoulder. I'll post a pic in a bit. I have my first one that is a dedicated caliber, in .223. They came out with a new one that has different inserts for any caliber you can imagine. 

50 minutes ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

I upgraded from a Lee to a little Crow gun works trimmer. Set the length, put in cordless drill and start trimming.  Worked a lot better for me. Midway and Brownells carry them in various calibers. $75.  
LF. 

The new model can be changed to other calibers for $25.00/insert.

57 minutes ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

LF. 

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Just bottleneck cases. It works off the shoulder. I'll post a pic in a bit. I have my first one that is a dedicated caliber, in .223. They came out with a new one that has different inserts for any caliber you can imagine. 

Thank you. I did look them up and noticed there were no devices listed for straight walled cartridges, in particular, pistol rounds. 

Still, that little dealie looks like it would  great for 30-30 and .308, which I load for occasionally. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. 

Thank you. I did look them up and noticed there were no devices listed for straight walled cartridges, in particular, pistol rounds. 

Still, that little dealie looks like it would  great for 30-30 and .308, which I load for occasionally. 

Yes sir! .30-30 was one of my insert choices. Hand trimming hundreds sucks.

Trimmer body with drill and insert, then a pic of the insert. Gasketed, IMG_20211225_084723488.thumb.jpg.a337f1d7b8ab3771c476b2a1955bdb53.jpgso they just pop in and out as needed. They inset directly into a bearing. 

IMG_20211225_084752294.thumb.jpg.00b917c0f5368c27298ffbf6ccfae52c.jpg

Archived