SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Technical Service?!?! yikes...

DeaconKC

Emailed Uberti USA with an easy question, what is the measurement of the dovetail for the rear sight on a 66. They answered they didn't know!

How in the world can you NOT know something that basic and call yourself a Technical Department?

I called them recently IRT my broken ‘73 “Competition” model.  I asked them what besides the lever is different, they said that they didn’t know.  I asked them who would know and they said the engineers in Italy <_<   I did find out the differences, but they were of no help. 

They did nothing for me after my schofield firing pin hole wallowed out after @1300 cowboy rounds through it...
Ubertis are like beer-you dont buy them, you rent them

Taylor's has always been a great resource for me with Uberti technical questions.  If their parts guy can't answer, then their gunsmith can.

18 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

They did nothing for me after my schofield firing pin hole wallowed out after @1300 cowboy rounds through it...
Ubertis are like beer-you dont buy them, you rent them

Funny I have a pair of Uberti Cattlemen in .45 colt that each have over 100,000 rounds through them and are still running fine .

Breakage for the pair is three bolt/ trigger springs, one firing pin and an ejecter  rod . 

My loads are on the upper end rather stout but SASS legal, I have used both blackpowder and heathen Smokeless.

They are almost as old as my youngest Son and he is 26 ....

Jabez Cowboy

5 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Funny I have a pair of Uberti Cattlemen in .45 colt that each have over 100,000 rounds through them and are still running fine .

Breakage for the pair is three bolt/ trigger springs, one firing pin and an ejecter  rod . 

My loads are on the upper end rather stout but SASS legal, I have used both blackpowder and heathen Smokeless.

Jabez Cowboy

Actually not funny-quite annoying.
Now , I still rent them...just rented an 1872 open top about a month ago to use after dumping the schofield.
Its the only option really besides high dollar originals or the ruger line up, they are pretty much the only replica game in town.
I also have a cattleman -first one I purchased-which I stopped using about 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe about the same 1300 rounds through it. It, also, has signs of the doughnut/wallow. About .001 at this point.
Both the schofield and cattleman are stoegers....

8 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Jabez Cowboy

Yep.  My Uberti Model P 45s I've used since 2001 for every match I've shot in.  One flat spring has broken.  Last year I had the pair looked over, tiggers were getting too light.  My loads were 250 grain bullets, one grain below the power manufacturer's maximum.  Last year I switch to 200 grain bullets, son's wrists were sore after shooting though a 10 stage match in one day.

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

To the OP , I just pulled a flip up latter sight out of the parts box 

It is ,370 at the bottom of the dove tail 

Chickasaw Bill 

this is a carbine sight , IIRC 

Thank you Sir! Coffee's on me!

Lunger Dan: 

I have been using my 1872 Open-Tops in .44 Russian/ .44 Spl. with FULL CASE loads of Goex 3F in .44 special cases under 240 gr. bullets .

For the last 4 years,,,, I have named them "Buck" and "Boom" with-out a single issue.  I buy my Goex in 25 pound boxes, sometimes several at a time .

I have a Uberti 66 in .45 colt that has fired somewhere over 200,000 rounds of either 250 gr. or 270 gr. soft cast bullets at over 1,200 Fps. for CAS .

So far the only thing other than cleaning and Shooting it , is I needed to "Recut and Reharden" sear on the Hammer, this after about 18 years as one of my main match rifles .

It had about 180,000 rounds through it before this was needed.

I don't Know if you know this or Not but Smiths seldom find time to work on their Own guns, so I am super pleased with the lack of needed service my Uberti's have offered .

Jabez Cowboy 

21 hours ago, John Boy said:

Midway has dimensions …

But that sight listing on MW does NOT have the dovetail length dimension stated, which is what the OP needs.

Almost all Uberti rifles use the quasi-standard 0.375" length of the dovetail (front to back of the base of dovetail).    Barrels sometimes get filed on by novices who don't know to file on the sight base, not the dovetail cut on barrel!   So pulling out calipers and measuring is the sure way.  If you don't have at least a set of vernier/dial calipers,  you need them!  Borrow them if you have to. 

good luck, GJ

17 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Lunger Dan: 

I have been using my 1872 Open-Tops in .44 Russian/ .44 Spl. with FULL CASE loads of Goex 3F in .44 special cases under 240 gr. bullets .

For the last 4 years,,,, I have named them "Buck" and "Boom" with-out a single issue.  I buy my Goex in 25 pound boxes, sometimes several at a time .

I have a Uberti 66 in .45 colt that has fired somewhere over 200,000 rounds of either 250 gr. or 270 gr. soft cast bullets at over 1,200 Fps. for CAS .

So far the only thing other than cleaning and Shooting it , is I needed to "Recut and Reharden" sear on the Hammer, this after about 18 years as one of my main match rifles .

It had about 180,000 rounds through it before this was needed.

I don't Know if you know this or Not but Smiths seldom find time to work on their Own guns, so I am super pleased with the lack of needed service my Uberti's have offered .

Jabez Cowboy 

Good for you, must be that cold canadian air...want to rent some slightly used  ubertis with wallowed out recoil shields?

Archived