SASS Wire Forum

My dad was right

Trigger Mike

When I was a teenager,  I can't count the number of times I heard my dad tell people that the best thing to do with a teenager is when they turn 14, "take them out back, tie them to a tree and shoot them".  

Now that I have a 17 year old and a 16 year old I get it.  Thankfully he never did that, but I get why he was so fond of saying it.  

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

When I was a teenager,  I can't count the number of times I heard my dad tell people that the best thing to do with a teenager is when they turn 14, "take them out back, tie them to a tree and shoot them".  

Now that I have a 17 year old and a 16 year old I get it.  Thankfully he never did that, but I get why he was so fond of saying it.  

Hang in there...

The son will be 'normal' again in a year or two.

The daughter...well...

Ask me how I know!!!

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hang in there...

The son will be 'normal' again in a year or two.

The daughter...well...

Ask me how I know!!!

That is the reason daughters got married off early....Gave the problem to someone else....Just leaves with the wife....

Texas Lizard

I have a 14 years old daughter... great kid, with a good head on her shoulders, albeit full of blonde hair! :)

I trust her judgement completely... yesterday was her first day of high school.... I have nothing to worry about....

Just now, Last Call Saul said:

I have a 14 years old daughter... great kid, with a good head on her shoulders, albeit full of blonde hair! :)

I trust her judgement completely... yesterday was her first day of high school.... I have nothing to worry about....

My girls did too...untill HS!!!

I am sure you did a great job.

I always tease the girls were easy untill 15 to 26!!!

The boys were a nightmare from 2 to 5!!!

7 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

My girls did too...untill HS!!!

I am sure you did a great job.

I always tease the girls were easy untill 15 to 26!!!

The boys were a nightmare from 2 to 5!!!

will see... :)

she is somewhat a special case - she is a national level competitive ballroom dancer, been doing it since she was 5...  so her attitude towards boys is a bit affected by it, at least in a sense of curiosity :) - not too many regular kids can compete with boys in her studio :)

it also leaves her very little time for the "shenanigans"

My two are good overall, but right now my 16 year old wants to interrupt me and say the opposite,  so I canceled his driver's exam to get his license until he improves,  which saves me a ton on insurance. 

My 17 year old says she doesn't want to take our advice and learn from her own experiences.   Sometimes she learns the hard way and does what I suggested afterwards. It just takes a while.   

Had a neighbor when I was growing that had 3 daughters.   He said first was horse crazy, 2nd was boy crazy but the 3rd was was just f#%*(&^ crazy    GW

My dad placed a curse on me.  He said "You should have a son just like yourself."  --- I did!  And I still am in amazement as to why I survived.  I guess he loved me.  That is why my youngest son survived.  Both sons found the path.  One easily, one with lots of bumps, muskegs, and desert walks.  Thanks the Good Lord for the Marines and one Very Large Black DI who put the fear of God into him.  I am forever indebted to him.

STL Suomi

Today we discovered that the 16 year old broke his hand and needs a pin and surgery.   How, you may ask?

We had been to see my mom at the end of the driveway.  We don't have garbage pickup so I told him to get her garbage and get in the john deere gator that holds 4 people and has a dump bed.  He opted to do his own thing and try to sit in the very short bed in the back of my 9 year Old's polaris rzr 170.  Down the gravel driveway they go, as I catch up to tell him to get in with us like I told him, the garbage bag shifts so he moves to keep it off the ground, falls right hand first, to catch himself.  He broke one of the 2 bones in your body that don't heal by themselves,  according to the dr.  

Once more he could have prevented a problem by listening to the dummy that is older than him.  

Paraphrasing Samuel Clemons.

”When I was seventeen, my father was the stupidest man I knew. By the time I’d turned twenty-five, I was amazed at how much he had learned!”

Archived