Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

My old man’s Stoeger Coach single trigger misfires out of the right barrel. When this happens the left barrel will not touch off. Racking the gun will sometimes resolve the problem but not always. Any ideas? Who can I contact who knows Stoegers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the right barrel the first one fired?

 

A common problem with Stoegers is that the latch mechanism can wear enough that the first shot will slightly open the action, thus causing the other barrel to not fire.

 

The lug is normally warn and needs to be built up to properly latch AND the latch should be modified to that it more fully extends and provides a larger surface area for lock up.

 

Some will go with a stronger spring for the opening lever but that is only a temporary fix.

 

Worse case, the lug is coming undone from the barrels and will have to be re-secured.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Call Stoger.  Sometimes they will fix a problem for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Call Stoger.  Sometimes they will fix a problem for free.

Even after the warranty expires? This gun is older than 5 years. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Burl Beardsley said:

Even after the warranty expires? This gun is older than 5 years. 

I am not sure but for the cost of a phone call you can find out if they will fix it or not.  I had one that I didn't know how old it was and they asked for the serial number and said that they would fix it for free.  Worth a try.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have contacted Stoeger on a number of occasions with the Coach gun Supremes.  They have yet to fix or send parts on any of them.  Their only suggestion was to buy a new one.

 

I have several stoegers, but I do not depend on stoeger for any help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Take off butt stock and examine the wood or the receiver parts next to the hammer for anything that has recently developed to become a block of the right hammer path.  Splinters off the wood where it fits to receiver, a metal burr, dirty action, etc.  Then fix that.

 

Single trigger guns need the first hammer to fall to switch the trigger over to the second hammer.   That is why the left fails.  Now you have to find why the right side fails. 

 

I would second the ridiculously bad customer service you would probably receive if you contact Stoeger for service on a 5 year old gun.  

 

If this is beyond your skills, seek out a good shotgun smith.    Lassiter in Ohio might be willing to take a look.

 

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have done ANY modifications to the shotgun don't bother sending it back to them. They will mark it as unsafe and may or may not return it to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought right hammer was rubbing so made some room for it in the stock with no result. Hammer strike feels too light. Could the hammer not be fully cocking? Like the cocking rod is worn / too short?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, hammer either cocks fully or not at all.   Cocking involves the sear catching and holding the hammer back by means of slipping into the full-cock notch on the hammer.  There is no "almost cocked" notch to catch on.

 

You could possibly have a weak hammer spring on that side.   If so, try to find a new pair and replace both sides at same time.   You should be seeing light hammer strikes that dimple the primer (but not set it off) if that is the problem.  This would be a rarely seen problem. 

 

First thing to check for - Stoeger firing pins mushroom over years of use and get to sticking in the breech recoil plate.  Push them in and out with finger or tool and see if they are free to move.   If not, stainless Stoeger pins are available from several gunsmiths.

 

LongHunter Supply has 'em:

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_95

 

You may want to get the spanner wrench to remove the FP bushings too.

 

good luck, GJ

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Burl Beardsley said:

Even after the warranty expires? This gun is older than 5 years. 

Please remember BEFORE YOU SHIP THE GUN BACK TO THE FACTORY that if you have modified your gun in any way that Stoeger deems unsafe the gun will be returned to you unrepaired and UNSAFE TO FIRE stamped into the barrels and receiver.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

 

First thing to check for - Stoeger firing pins mushroom over years of use and get to sticking in the breech recoil plate.  Push them in and out with finger or tool and see if they are free to move.   If not, stainless Stoeger pins are available from several gunsmiths.

 

LongHunter Supply has 'em:

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_95

 

You may want to get the spanner wrench to remove the FP bushings too.

 

good luck, GJ

 

 

 

 

 

I have bought 8 pairs of the stainless firing pins here, but noticed today, after following this link, that he now has slightly Extended Firing Pins.  I have had a couple of the slightly dented primers recently and thought that little extension might solve my problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

 

I have bought 8 pairs of the stainless firing pins here, but noticed today, after following this link, that he now has slightly Extended Firing Pins.  I have had a couple of the slightly dented primers recently and thought that little extension might solve my problem.

On Stoegers, before changing to longer pins, make sure there is no metal filing build up under the hammer first. Easy to fix, Remove stock. Flush out under the hammers while cocked with brake cleaner or other suitable spray cleaner. Resemble and test for proper firing pin penetration with the barrels removed.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winchester 209 shotgun primers do have a flatter primer cup profile than, say, Federal 209A primers.  And I have had a couple of lots of the Federal 209A primers in the last 10 years where the primer cup was set REAL DEEP below the flange of the battery cup around the outside of the primer.  This can also be a reason to move over to Win primers for shotshells.  It surely was for me.

 

good luck, GJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knock on wood--my Stoeger has performed flawlessly for over 9 years now with all primers I've tried. I'm currently using Chedite, but have used Federal  209A as well as Winchester.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Take off butt stock and examine the wood or the receiver parts next to the hammer for anything that has recently developed to become a block of the right hammer path.  Splinters off the wood where it fits to receiver, a metal burr, dirty action, etc.  Then fix that.

 

Single trigger guns need the first hammer to fall to switch the trigger over to the second hammer.   That is why the left fails.  Now you have to find why the right side fails. 

 

I would second the ridiculously bad customer service you would probably receive if you contact Stoeger for service on a 5 year old gun.  

 

If this is beyond your skills, seek out a good shotgun smith.    Lassiter in Ohio might be willing to take a look.

 

good luck, GJ

 

Single trigger shotguns with INERTIA triggers need the recoil from the first barrel FIRING to set the second hammer to fall when the trigger is pulled again.  Mechanical triggers just need you to pull the trigger a second time for the second barrel to fire.  That's why you'll find most competition .410 shotguns equipped with mechanical triggers.  The .410 doesn't generate enough recoil to reliably reset the trigger for the second shot.  You can dry fire mechanical triggers for two shots.  You'll only get one "click" dry firing an inertial trigger unless you bump the buttstock before the second trigger pull.

 

As stated above, you need to figure out why the first barrel does not fire.

 

Angus

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

 

Single trigger shotguns with INERTIA triggers need the recoil from the first barrel FIRING to set the second hammer to fall when the trigger is pulled again.  Mechanical triggers just need you to pull the trigger a second time for the second barrel to fire.  That's why you'll find most competition .410 shotguns equipped with mechanical triggers.  The .410 doesn't generate enough recoil to reliably reset the trigger for the second shot.  You can dry fire mechanical triggers for two shots.  You'll only get one "click" dry firing an inertial trigger unless you bump the buttstock before the second trigger pull.

 

As stated above, you need to figure out why the first barrel does not fire.

 

Angus

Stoegers are not inertia triggers and he is talking about his Dad's single trigger Stoeger.

J.M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Stoegers are not inertia triggers and he is talking about his Dad's single trigger Stoeger.

J.M.

 

Thanks.   I know he was talking about a Stoeger, but, I don't own a Stoeger and I didn't know if they were inertia triggers or not.

 

So, I'm out on this one.  Good luck with the shotgun, Burl.

 

Angus

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

The GunSmith i go to told me only use Winchester Primers. When shooting Stoegers.

Nope.

Chedite fire fine with our Stoegers.

My single trigger had that issue.

Boogie and Coyote Cap found a tiny bit of wood from stock, causing the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.