SASS Wire Forum

Lets see some dogs

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I adopted her today.  Coco is a petite 65lbs

dl5zpyw5k3jeb.cloudfront.jpg

Thanks for adopting her! We adopted ours (Kimber) 2 years ago at 62#, you could see every bone! She's now 92 and looks great. I love Rotties. https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQm3zJu6VmLMiKhm7

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks for adopting her! We adopted ours (Kimber) 2 years ago at 62#, you could see every bone! She's now 92 and looks great. I love Rotties. https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQm3zJu6VmLMiKhm7

We had 5 come through the shelter/rescue I volunteer at and I walked four of them (the fifth was the smaller half brother of the 120 lb one that I was walking) mostly because of my size and partly because I didn't find them scary or intimating.  I was very impressed by their temperament, intelligence and calmness.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:

We had 5 come through the shelter/rescue I volunteer at and I walked four of them (the fifth was the smaller half brother of the 120 lb one that I was walking) mostly because of my size and partly because I didn't find them scary or intimating.  I was very impressed by their temperament, intelligence and calmness.

Kimber is our 4th Rotties and our 2nd adoption. They are such loves. Our Ruger weighed 120 once, but was a tad overweight! He looked much better at 95. Congratulations on Coco. :wub:

• Like 3

I admire your courage.  I would be reluctant, even with no young kids, to adopt a big dog with an unknown history.  I have had all good dogs, AKC, though some with long term health issues.  Several at the moment, easy way out in the country.  Even though I have had Labs for nearly 50 years, and they are wonderful friends, nearly every one, none inexpensive, has had health issues.  If I am around long enough to add one to the pack again, I'll be trying a different breed.  Maybe another Bloodhound.

• Like 1

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

I admire your courage.  I would be reluctant, even with no young kids, to adopt a big dog with an unknown history.  I have had all good dogs, AKC, though some with long term health issues.  Several at the moment, easy way out in the country.  Even though I have had Labs for nearly 50 years, and they are wonderful friends, nearly every one, none inexpensive, has had health issues.  If I am around long enough to add one to the pack again, I'll be trying a different breed.  Maybe another Bloodhound.

I've spent almost 8 years volunteering at a shelter/rescue for dogs so I have a pretty good feel for dogs.

I don't think 65 lbs is that big and the Rottweilers that came through were the easiest dogs in the world to handle.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

I've spent almost 8 years volunteering at a shelter/rescue for dogs so I have a pretty good feel for dogs.

I don't think 65 lbs is that big and the Rottweilers that came through were the easiest dogs in the world to handle.

Just for perspective, my "Little" Lab is around 70#.  The other boys, even the oldest, are considerably bigger.  With the exercise they get on the Ranch, no fatties.  Never had a Rottie, did have a GS Schutzenhund when I was a boy, but Shepherds bear too much resemblance to Wolves in Cattle country, and sooner or later, no matter what precautions, all dogs get away for the odd adventure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just for perspective, my "Little" Lab is around 70#.  The other boys, even the oldest, are considerably bigger.  With the exercise they get on the Ranch, no fatties.  Never had a Rottie, did have a GS Schutzenhund when I was a boy, but Shepherds bear too much resemblance to Wolves in Cattle country, and sooner or later, no matter what precautions, all dogs get away for the odd adventure.

For me I define big as anything over 90 lbs.  Had a 90 lb female Rottie who would stand up on her back two legs, place her front paws gently on my shoulder and give me kisses.  We were at the same eye level.   The 120 lb male that came through I looked up at when he stood on his back two feet and I'm 5'11"

• Like 4