Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grizzly Dave

Quarantine topic - building out a Ruger 10/22

Recommended Posts

My 10/22 is all grown up!!

             Jasper

Resized_20200505_084915.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasper Agate said:

My 10/22 is all grown up!!

             Jasper

Resized_20200505_084915.jpeg

 

Aw yea, indeed..... the perfect woods rifle.

I had one a few years back with the shorter style stock (no barrel band).   I don't know why I let it go, but I'm sure it was for a stupid reason... :o

 

P.S. - nice rifle, Jasper.

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

        10/22's are like race engines. How fast do you want to go, it is all a question of money...… Widder and Eli are showing you some fine examples of high end rifles that are gorgeous. I have built literally dozen's of custom 10/22's over the years and firmly believe that you can build incredible guns on a budget as well. First question I would ask what are you going to shoot? A squirrel gun? A Tack driver? Or a rimfire steel challenge style gun? This will narrow the field of recommended accessories..

I personally keep 2 guns. One with a stock barrel but with Williams Firesights. The Fiber Optics really help with visibility and the different color front and rear make for super fast target acquisition. My second gun I have done a barrel change to a Carbon Fiber bull barrel it is as light as the stock barrel, increases accuracy and heat dissipation and is threaded for a comp or suppressor. On the bull barrel I run a quality red dot optic.

     From there both guns wear the same accessories. A drop in Volquartsen trigger kit which replaces the hammer and springs. (Much cheaper alternative than changing the entire trigger group) I also put in a homemade overtravel stop by tapping and threading the back of the trigger guard. I also add an extended mag release and add an extended Charging Handle. Both guns also wear Hogue rubber overmold stocks. These are not the prettiest stock you will ever see not even close, but if you put one in your hands you will understand.

    These are also great beginner gunsmith projects as the guns are really easy to assemble and disassemble and my experience with the aftermarket products is the parts fit real well without much need for custom fitting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best "bang for the buck":

 

-Install a Volquartsen Target Hammer (approx $45) to improve trigger

-Install a Volquartsen Extractor ($10) to improve reliability - very important!!

-Install a Vortex Crossfire (or equivalent) Red Dot sight ($150)

 

A cost effective, reliable, reasonably accurate, fun 10/22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 10-22s in hand... bull barrel with thumbhole stock 

one in AR type stock carbon fiber barrel , very fast handing for steel challenge that share our range 

.. a take down I bought yesterday from Big 5 just to wait 15 days to have it . I hope to pick up precision bolt action soon it is in day 15 waiting with SxS shotgun 

what I am looking for stock that looks like a Tommmy gun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I already had a stock rifle and wanted to get it shooting right, it would get shipped to Randy at CPC for a work over.  DNZ rings with a matching Leupold 4-12.  

 

If I was on a budget, the trigger would go to Brimstone.  If I was pinching pennies, polish the trigger myself.  Clean the inside of the receiver.  Install a Kidd guide rod.  Wait for the factory extractor to wear out before installing the Volquartsen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

90500D5C-7C30-4B77-8FCF-263ECF16171F.thumb.jpeg.0a3b28b644d4909995eb3b3c02f7b8f1.jpeg188CE94D-CE16-43B3-9D8B-35050D92622F.thumb.jpeg.7840c2c39642f335cf5a09219fb26f37.jpeg

Just picked mine up yesterday. Has the Boyd stock like your #4 but stippled. All Kidd components silver,20"match polished bbl, single stage trigger, medium extended mag release, silver bolt with black Viton. Took it to the range and tried it. Shot nine different types of ammo.  4 of the 9 groups had all 5 rounds touching, two of them were close enough to on hole that you could not tell how many shots were there.

kR

You did good Widder, that is one nice rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grizzly Dave is the one I'm blaming for this!!

 

I saw this post back about 6 weeks ago and it got me to nosing around on youtube.

There is where I saw what some Crazy People had done to a totally useless 10/22 Pistol.....  called a Charger..........

What was Ruger Thinking?????????

 

Anywho, I didn't have much to do around the house... so I thought, what tha Heck, I'll build one a them Stupid Things.

So I did........

IMG_1344.thumb.jpg.6849079135cef24895ad92594fa63056.jpg

 

Thanks Grizzley Dave.. This is one Heck of a Fun Gun to Shoot !!!!!!

Still can't figger how it's a "Pistol" though ...... B)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Grizzly Dave is the one I'm blaming for this!!

 

I saw this post back about 6 weeks ago and it got me to nosing around on youtube.

There is where I saw what some Crazy People had done to a totally useless 10/22 Pistol.....  called a Charger..........

What was Ruger Thinking?????????

 

Anywho, I didn't have much to do around the house... so I thought, what tha Heck, I'll build one a them Stupid Things.

So I did........

IMG_1344.thumb.jpg.6849079135cef24895ad92594fa63056.jpg

 

Thanks Grizzley Dave.. This is one Heck of a Fun Gun to Shoot !!!!!!

Still can't figger how it's a "Pistol" though ...... B)

 

 

 

Happy to help.  Suspect that it is technically a pistol because the barrel is shorter than 16 inches.  And that's not a butt stock, it's an arm brace.  Were it a butt stock it would be a short barreled rifle and have restrictions in some places.

 

After looking at all the things to do to a 10/22 and counting the cost, and thinking about if I'd shoot it much, I wound up building a Pistol Caliber Carbine in 45 ACP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S&W Mp15-22  Browning Buckmark  , 3 rugers 10-22 and ruger bolt action 

Lever 22s Henry right   Uberti silver boy and Browning BL 22 on the  left .

very short stroke 

 

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

 

After looking at all the things to do to a 10/22 and counting the cost, and thinking about if I'd shoot it much, I wound up building a Pistol Caliber Carbine in 45 ACP.

Pictures and details!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Pictures and details!

  

Well, since I've never built anything like that before, I kind of cheated, ok, I bought a complete lower and a complete upper.  I went the Foxtrot Mike for both.  The FM upper features a forward charging handle, and the lower a robust last round bolt hold open.  I added a Magpul adjustable butt stock and Magpul hand stop and grip panels.  On top is a Vortex 6 MOA red dot.  I'm waiting on a riser for it now to put it in a plane where it's usable.  Also waiting on a flat dark earth pistol grip to complete the two tone look.

image.png.81b8724382912498c8ad7a0d628c99b4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i do think we all love the 10-22 for all of its flex ability and its possibilities , i have a couple , but then there are so many options in 22s that date back to cowboy times to choose from , and i keep finding the interesting ones to me - so many , so little time , i started out only wanting one or two from my youth .....what a crazy road i found to travel , some are cowboy guns , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

  

Well, since I've never built anything like that before, I kind of cheated, ok, I bought a complete lower and a complete upper.  I went the Foxtrot Mike for both.  The FM upper features a forward charging handle, and the lower a robust last round bolt hold open.  I added a Magpul adjustable butt stock and Magpul hand stop and grip panels.  On top is a Vortex 6 MOA red dot.  I'm waiting on a riser for it now to put it in a plane where it's usable.  Also waiting on a flat dark earth pistol grip to complete the two tone look.

image.png.81b8724382912498c8ad7a0d628c99b4.png

Very nice.

 

I'd read a little about FM pistols and saw mixed reviews.  Any issues with yours?

 

I was looking at CMMG before I came across the pond.  We'll see what the landscape looks like when I come back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Very nice.

 

I'd read a little about FM pistols and saw mixed reviews.  Any issues with yours?

 

I was looking at CMMG before I came across the pond.  We'll see what the landscape looks like when I come back home.

 

Haven't shot it yet so can't speak to that.  Did have a slight issue when I first received it, some loc tite had gone where it shouldn't have, as it was brand new I was hesitant to horse anything so contacted Paul at Foxtrot Mike on a Friday evening via email.  Not only did he reply late on that Friday evening confirming my diagnosis and fix, he checked back in with me on Saturday morning to make sure it was fixed.  He was very apologetic and sent me the ambi forward charging handle I wanted for nothing and is sending me some swag.

 

Most of the recent stuff I've read and vids I've watched are favorable, and any issues are due to magazines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a 10-22 but here’s my covid19 build, a old salt stock Browning T-bolt .22. Since my M1 turned out so nice with the Boyds Winter Laminate stock I thought that I’d try another so I put the T-bolt into a Sky laminated Boyds Varmint stock. I had it all parkerized years ago when I found the damage caused by the salt. Had been sitting without a stock in the back of my safe for many years. It has a bigger scope on it now. Also added a Harris bipod and a sling. Turned out nice, pretty much a drop in. Did a little action work too to smooth it out.

12A465FC-BAFC-4F78-87E9-98E2EEC78595.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.