Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Ba-Dump Tissssh - Memes


Pat Riot

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 27.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Buckshot Bob

    5441

  • Pat Riot

    2824

  • Alpo

    2644

  • Subdeacon Joe

    1903

33 minutes ago, Alpo said:

meme tesla trip.jpg

I just watched a video on Youtube from a guy who took an EV double decker bus on a cross country tour. He had factory people from the bus manufacturer and other industry types both with him and in constant contact for support. 

It took him about 3 times as long to make the trip, cost MORE than if the bus was diesel powered, and no end of headaches trying to charge the thing to do it. 

EVs might work for some people, (yes, I'm talking to YOU Subdeacon Joe :rolleyes:), but I can't see owning one. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got an email from my electric company, day or so back.

 

>Enjoy unlimited night and weekend EV charging starting at $31 a month — with no upfront costs and a hassle-free setup.

 

Need a 240 volt circuit permitted and installed? A full installation option with the same great benefits is available for $38 a month.

 

FPL EVolution® Home is your easy, convenient and worry-free charging experience — powered with 100% renewable energy from America’s smartest and most reliable grid.<

 

 

STARTING at $31 a month. Huh. Didn't notice that the first time I read it. I thought it said just $31 a month.

 

I don't go nowhere. A tank of gas (10 gallons) lasts me a couple of months.

 

Maybe that would be a good deal for somebody that drives three or four hundred miles a week. Maybe.

 

Then there was that news article I saw a couple weeks ago. Texas is going to charge electric vehicle people $200 a year for the privilege of driving an electric vehicle. Because when they're driving an electric vehicle they're not buying gasoline so they're not paying gas tax, so they're not paying for their fair share of the upkeep of the roads.

 

I don't know. It just looks like electric is a bit more expensive.

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Got an email from my electric company, day or so back.

 

>Enjoy unlimited night and weekend EV charging starting at $31 a month — with no upfront costs and a hassle-free setup.

 

Need a 240 volt circuit permitted and installed? A full installation option with the same great benefits is available for $38 a month.

 

FPL EVolution® Home is your easy, convenient and worry-free charging experience — powered with 100% renewable energy from America’s smartest and most reliable grid.<

 

 

STARTING at $31 a month. Huh. Didn't notice that the first time I read it. I thought it said just $31 a month.

 

I don't go nowhere. A tank of gas (10 gallons) lasts me a couple of months.

 

Maybe that would be a good deal for somebody that drives three or four hundred miles a week. Maybe.

 

Then there was that news article I saw a couple weeks ago. Texas is going to charge electric vehicle people $200 a year for the privilege of driving an electric vehicle. Because when they're driving an electric vehicle they're not buying gasoline so they're not paying gas tax, so they're not paying for their fair share of the upkeep of the roads.

 

I don't know. It just looks like electric is a bit more expensive.

 

I drove a 2000 Tundra. In March 2021 it was costing about $75/week to fuel just for going to work (at around $3.59/gal), church, and shopping (shopping was only about 5 miles a week round trip).  

 

Got an electric because we needed some serious repairs on the Tundra that we couldn't afford.  "Fuel" cost dropped to about $12/week for the same amount of driving, that's at a commercial fast charger, be about $6 or less for 120v home charging.   Even adding in the $4/week that a state fee like the one in TX you mentioned, that's still a lot less than $75/week.  Add in, call it $40/month, that's ten bucks a week, for whatever the power company plan is, and it's still less than $75/week.  If you don't drive more than about 60 miles per day you can get by with the plug in to your 120v house current and don't need the 240v set up.

 

Gas here topped at close to $7/gallon, and is sitting around $5.5/gallon now.

 

So, I don't care what math you use, but call it $20 to $25 per week is a lot less than $125 to $150 per week.  So, no, it's not more expensive to drive an electric than an internal combustion vehicle.  Even if your daily round trip is 200 miles and you charge exclusively at commercial fast charging stations it's cheaper, unless you have an internal combustion that gets 50mpg or better.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

It's difficult to mow the grass without pulling the safety bar back.....

Well we know it's a posed picture, since lawn mowers didn't have safety bars in 1969.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I drove a 2000 Tundra. In March 2021 it was costing about $75/week to fuel just for going to work (at around $3.59/gal), church, and shopping (shopping was only about 5 miles a week round trip).  

Gas was costing you $75 a week in a vehicle that probably got at least 20 miles a gallon.

 

My gas costs me about $30 every 2 months in a vehicle that gets 7 miles a gallon.

 

The point I was attempting to make was FOR ME electric would be more expensive. Not for everybody. For me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

I drove a 2000 Tundra. In March 2021 it was costing about $75/week to fuel just for going to work (at around $3.59/gal), church, and shopping (shopping was only about 5 miles a week round trip).  

 

Got an electric because we needed some serious repairs on the Tundra that we couldn't afford.  "Fuel" cost dropped to about $12/week for the same amount of driving, that's at a commercial fast charger, be about $6 or less for 120v home charging.   Even adding in the $4/week that a state fee like the one in TX you mentioned, that's still a lot less than $75/week.  Add in, call it $40/month, that's ten bucks a week, for whatever the power company plan is, and it's still less than $75/week.  If you don't drive more than about 60 miles per day you can get by with the plug in to your 120v house current and don't need the 240v set up.

 

Gas here topped at close to $7/gallon, and is sitting around $5.5/gallon now.

 

So, I don't care what math you use, but call it $20 to $25 per week is a lot less than $125 to $150 per week.  So, no, it's not more expensive to drive an electric than an internal combustion vehicle.  Even if your daily round trip is 200 miles and you charge exclusively at commercial fast charging stations it's cheaper, unless you have an internal combustion that gets 50mpg or better.

 

 

 

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Gas was costing you $75 a week in a vehicle that probably got at least 20 miles a gallon.

 

My gas costs me about $30 every 2 months in a vehicle that gets 7 miles a gallon.

 

The point I was attempting to make was FOR ME electric would be more expensive. Not for everybody. For me.

 

2000 Tundra, 20 mpg maybe if it was a 2WD.

Can we agree at some point that there is a place for Electric Vehicles and Internal Combustion Vehicles?


I have no desire to have an EV, because it would limit much of what I do. I really have no desire to see charging stations when I am out in the middle of nowhere camping. And right now my truck does pretty well at pulling a horse trailer when necessary. A friend has a Tesla that is insanely fast, but you lose so much of the driving experience without a shift knob in hand. The paddle shifters on my Outback Wilderness are a substitute, but still pales by comparison to the real thing.

If I just wanted a commuter vehicle, I would strongly consider an EV.

Having said that, I still say Hydrogen is the better option.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.