SASS Wire Forum

delete please

Rye Miles #13621

Hey check out some of these marbles, Birdgun. The Mr Magoo ones are pretty cool. 

http://glassmarbles.com/

This link has some pretty cool ones too.

http://www.landofmarbles.com/

I am almost tempted to get some of these cool marbles, put them in a bag and lock them in the safe. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hey check out some of these arbors, Birdgun. The Mr Magoo ones are pretty cool. 

I am almost tempted to get some of these cool marbles, put them in a bag and lock them in the safe. 

Or put them in a sock and use em as a weapon !!!

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Or put them in a sock and use em as a weapon !!!

Nope, can’t risk losing any more of my marbles. :P :lol::lol:

On 10/27/2019 at 11:11 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I carried my marbles in a sock.  I was going into the 5th Grade when we moved from Oklahoma to California.  First day at my new school I was the only kid that brought his marbles.  I remember thinking, "Why don't any of the California kids have their marbles???"

Purees were my favorite marbles. 

Clowns were my least favorite. 

Cat Eyes were in the middle.

Found out that none of the California kids even knew how to shoot marbles.

:huh:

My faves were "aggies."  And always had to have a "boulder" or two in the sock...   :)

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I think marbles constitute slingshot ammo and require a background check to purchase.

For some time now it's been almost impossible to find marbles at toy stores - "too much liability."  :(

A few years ago I set out to help a bunch of Cub Scouts earn their Marbles Belt Loop.  Had a dickens of a time finding the things ~ finally discovered that pet stores (and the pet department at WalMart!) still carried 'em - as aquarium accessories!  :huh:

But shooting marbles out of a slingshot... golly gee, now, who would have ever thought of doin' somethin' like that!   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My faves were "aggies."  And always had to have a "boulder" or two in the sock...   :)

Aggies made the best shooters.  Not pretty, but weighed much more than the glass marbles.  I had a couple of Aggies that my dad made.  I never used Dad's aggies in a game of "Keepsies" where my shooter could be lost.  Playing for Keeps is gambling and that's a sin!  And, being a good Baptist boy I never played for keeps (well, almost never.  But don't tell Mom or the preacher!!)

Aggies

image.png.6e3a4ecf74f6ddf8047d8915b4bb61b5.png

We could tell immediately a skilled player by the way he held his shooter. 

Don't worry about these Novices or Fudgers.  Shooting a marble like these two, the shooter won't get much velocity without fudging. 

"Fudging" is moving your hand when shooting.  In a real game of marbles, no fudging is allowed!! 

image.png.f441bd4023bceb783eb0c7639c53d3d8.png

Watch out for this kid.  He might take all your marbles.

image.thumb.png.6f0eb156cfffbed86bdaf9fcedfcf641.png

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I think marbles constitute slingshot ammo and require a background check to purchase.

WHAT!!!!  I'd never shoot my marbles out of my slingshot.  Maybe ball bearing if I had them.  More likely rocks.  But never, ever my marbles!!

image.thumb.png.f741d0f1ceb3ff6ca13d61367f92e888.png

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hey check out some of these marbles, Birdgun. The Mr Magoo ones are pretty cool. 

Ya know, Pat, I just may have to get some marbles and see if I can still shoot 'em.  Don't know when was the last time I shot marbles.  I think the last time I shot a game of marbles was when I was still in the Army.  It was with my dad.

Talking about marbles on this thread has brought back some very old but fond memories.   Thanks pards!

Oh, I must admit that I have shot lots of marbles from a wrist rocket. Mostly those clown marbles. I don’t like those either, Birdgun. 

Marbles are excellent fodder for people that like to tailgate motorcyclists. A marble on a windshield at 60 mph makes one helluva noise and the marble shatters without badly damaging the windshield. Trouble is tossing something at a car might get you run off the road. I have only tossed marbles at a couple of cars. These were obnoxious dudes in expensive cars messing with me. One was so close I saw his reaction in my convex mirror. I am sure he had to change his pants afterwards.

Marbles hitting a windshield sounds like a .22 going off inside your car. I know because some smartazz did it to me once. Bunch of “Biker” posers on Pacific Coast Highway (Route 101) blocking both lanes riding at 50 mph just generally being A-holes didn’t like me flashing my lights and blowing my horn so one tossed a handful of marbles in the air. I must admit that it startled the heck out of me when one hit my windshield. :lol: They didn’t much like my reaction. I moved into the passing lane turned on my high beams, laid on the horn an punched a hole through their ranks flipping them off as I went and I made sure the two bearded boys in the front saw my thunder (.45) as I went by. They did not pursue. That was 20 years ago. 

When I was a kid my Dad taught us to play marbles. My brothers and I played a lot and we actually got other kids in on the act. We found out pretty quick that playing “Keepsies” alienated you from the other kids. Since we moved around a lot we decided to just play without taking other people’s marbles or risking losing our own. ;) 
I pretty much quit playing marbles after my brother died. My Mom kept his bag of marbles. I believe my sister still has them. 

I think I might just buy some marbles and see if I can get my Grandson to play. Everything old is new again. Maybe it might be “cool” again!? ;)

Hey, start your own thread! This one is strictly for picking on Rye and y'alls convo is way too coherent :angry:

Lighten up Alice, I'm just kidding.

It was so long ago that I had marbles that I'm trying to remember what the heck I did with them!! I had a bunch of 'em!!

I guess I lost my marbles!!:lol:

11 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

WHAT!!!!  I'd never shoot my marbles out of my slingshot.  Maybe ball bearing if I had them.  More likely rocks.  But never, ever my marbles!!

image.thumb.png.f741d0f1ceb3ff6ca13d61367f92e888.png

My dad and uncle owned a garage. I would go through the scrap barrel and remove any ball bearings. I would put the bearing in a vise, cover it with a rag and shatter the race to get the balls. I might still have a few somewhere around the house fifty years later.

BTW - When will this thread ever get deleted????? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My dad and uncle owned a garage. I would go through the scrap barrel and remove any ball bearings. I would put the bearing in a vise, cover it with a rag and shatter the race to get the balls. I might still have a few somewhere around the house fifty years later.

I think the moderators are enjoying this one too!!! :lol:

It's another day time for another round...this one's on me.

After spending 24 years in the Navy I've picked up a few things.  If you see a bell in a bar don't ring it, it means you're buy a round for the house.  When we were around the junior troops instead of saying let's go out for a drink we'd use the old Navy term "Time to splice the main brace"

This was another thing we used to do when we had a new guy with us, seems a little crazy now  Tequila Shot

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I remember making my slingshots out of old inner tubes....back when inner tubes would stretch real good.

8 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

CLK:

What's with the CHIMO?

That was the name of my Dad's ship during WWII....

11010101.jpg

It's like HELLO! or GREETINGS! in Inuktut.

We use it in the mess as well, same as we would say CHEERS! when having a drink with friends.

What can I say: It's a Canadian thing.

CHIMO!

My Dad’s ship when he was in the Marine Corps:

DDE683EA-98F6-4A25-895A-FEC3B37C4DD1.jpeg.81ff40287aaeecb3a9c33c946ed93438.jpeg

He spent more in the brig than on actual duty. :lol:

It’s funny to me because it was because of him I tried to excel in my Navy service. ;)

This was my ship in the US Navy. 
The USS Virginia CGN-38: 

5CF9FCE2-1EEB-47F5-A2D6-4C6801404B97.jpeg.ad7a2bf447fd840e6526672873743c28.jpeg

This is a cool shot from the Hampton Roads Cruiser Museum site:

CB84CA10-4194-4701-B0BE-90F4CF30E129.thumb.jpeg.3b2164c045b0d9f8c483578bb5fc863f.jpeg

I got through some of that formula but I cannot figure out that part right after “and God said” and before that part that says “and there was light.”

:D

Archived