SASS Wire Forum

Santa Fe/Taos

My wife and I plan on a trip to Santa Fe and Taos either the first week of September or the first week of October. 5 nights, 6 days. Any suggestions? Disclaimer: We don’t want to be in a car all week. We want to eat drink and be merry. See some sights. I see there is rafting, balloon rides, hiking, art, etc. How’s the weather? I figure we’ll stay a few nights in Santa Fe and a few nights in Taos.

October would be my choice. Cooling down chance of seeing all of the aspens turning colors, etc... bring plenty of money.

Bring lots of money. ;)

You can admire my grandpa’s photo in the capitol building in Sante Fe.  Say hi to C. W. B. Bryan in the 1917 Representatives group photo.  :D

Prices vary directly with altitude in New Mexico.  The jewelry in the shops in old town Albuquerque was sold at half the marked price when I was there.  I asked why all the shops had half pricing and was told that the shops in Taos bought from them and that way they did not have to re-tag to sell in Taos.  I am not sure that Taos charges twice what Albuquerque does, but the prices were definitely much higher.  The prices in shops on the town square in Taos were higher than in the Kit Carson shop a couple of blocks away.  You will have a fun time in a beautiful place, but do bring lots of money.  You will need it.

Duffield

My suggestion would be to hit Taos for the 2nd weekend in July for the pow wow. It is awesome. I remember one year around midnight with a full moon rising over the mountain and the northern plains men dance going with half a dozen large men with 2 foot long drumsticks beating the crap out of a four foot drum while a skinny kid squeezed his voice box to hit the high notes. The hair stood on the back of my neck. 

And stay at El Pueblo motel; great breakfasts, good rooms, and a nice courtyard to relax in.

You need to visit and explore the Taos Pueblo Village.  You can tip a tour guide on site.  Amazing things to see.  It will take most of your day. When Judge and went the locals opened their home for us to come in and see/purchase their handcrafted items.  AWESOME EXPERIENCE!

Dan

While you're in Taos,consider making "The Loop" .Taos, Red River,Elizabethtown(an historic ghost town),Eagle Nest,Angel Fire and then back to Taos.Its a day trip but well worth the time.Gets up to about 13K feet and the scenery is beautiful.

The Gorge of the Rio Grande is impressive also.Looks like a downsized Grand Canyon,only a few miles west of town.

Santa Fe is a whole 'nother trip. PM lan on spending several days and lots of money. 

Enjoy your trip !

My wife and I were there back in March. We stayed at the Hotel la Fonda and it was nice. Lots of artist shops around and we bought a couple of things but you can just look. We walked over to the Taos Inn which looked very nice. They had live music that night and a very nice bar and spent a couple of hours in there that night. Visited the Kit Carson museum and house which was interesting. Before going I read a book on Kit Carson and he was fascinating. The person working there was very knowledgeable and could talk all day about him. Bought a knife there and took it to a local leather maker who custom made a sheath for me. His is name is Tony Whitecrow and he likes to talk. He’s been in a few western movies and plan on an hour in his shop. 

Short drive to Rio Grande Gorge bridge and it’s a must see.  A local artist told us to go at sunset for a beautiful view.  We saw some bighorn sheep walking along the steep slopes there. We also drove to the Taos Ski Resort and had no idea how nice it was. Didn’t ski but sure wish I’d made plans to. 

Definitely see the Pueblos.  Taos was ok - bought Petey's stampede string there.  In Albequerque, see the church (I forget the name) where St. Joseph (yeah, Jesus' stepfather) built the stairway to the choir loft.  Buy some turquoise & silver.  Hotel La Fonda is nice for drinks and live music.  Am I wrong, or did I also get to go to Georgia O'Keefe's home?  It's been a while.   Big Un Bruce:  I am losing brain cells by the handsful but have read a biography of a feller who did a lot of the stuff Kit Carson got credit for.  Cannot for the life of me remember his name, but I do know that, back in the day, we had a shooter who took his name for his alias. 

Archived