SASS Wire Forum

Yet another phone scam..

Sawmill Mary just got a call saying her social security number has been canceled and to punch 1 to get a new one.  Yeah right!  Some people may fall for that.

She has called the state attorney's office to alert them of this kind of scams and they pretty much shrug it of. "Yeah,  there is a lot of people getting those calls.  Just ignore them.". 

The one I just got was supposedly from a friend, whose e-mail address was somehow hijacked.

The scammer, posing as my friend,  sent me an e-m asking for a favour.

I responded, sure, what?

Scammer writes back: "I'm having trouble with my CC and it'll take a day or two to get it straightened out at the bank. I want to send a gift certificate to a friend for her birthday tomorrow. Will you get one for me, send it, then let me know, so I can tell it's from me. I'll pay you back as soon as I get my card fixed."

I had just had brunch with my friend and phoned him, to find out his PC had been hacked, mailing list compromised and a lot of people on it had received the request.

Watch it out there.

I've received two calls from the SSA. Both were made by heavily accented people. They both called me Mrs. my last name. One of the first questions they asked was if I had Medicare. I told both they should know the answer to that if they were really from the SSA. Then, I said, I don't answer questions from strangers on the phone." Click!

Got a call the other day and the person said in a heavy Indian accent "Don't hang up. This is an emergency."

I said "Call 911" and hung up then blocked the number.

For just a second I thought "Holy Cow, what if this poor Indian guy actually had a real emergency and I just assumed he was a scammer" then  I thought "Man, these wings are good!" and continued eating....

We keep getting a robocall in Chinese (the wife speaks enough Japanese to know the difference).  Can't block them 'cause they keep spoofing different numbers.

I usually ask them how is the weather in India, and they typically hang up.

If you really want to get them frothed up by wasting their time, just keep asking them "could you repeat that?"

They get so frustrated and PO'd after about 20 seconds, they say something rude and hang up.

2 hours ago, Badlands Beady said:

We keep getting a robocall in Chinese (the wife speaks enough Japanese to know the difference).  Can't block them 'cause they keep spoofing different numbers.

My wife has been getting these for weeks! They all come from the area code where she used to live (and still has the cell number with same AC).

I got five "suspended SSN" scam calls in one day a few weeks ago!:angry:

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The one I just got was supposedly from a friend, whose e-mail address was somehow hijacked.

The scammer, posing as my friend,  sent me an e-m asking for a favour.

I responded, sure, what?

Scammer writes back: "I'm having trouble with my CC and it'll take a day or two to get it straightened out at the bank. I want to send a gift certificate to a friend for her birthday tomorrow. Will you get one for me, send it, then let me know, so I can tell it's from me. I'll pay you back as soon as I get my card fixed."

I had just had brunch with my friend and phoned him, to find out his PC had been hacked, mailing list compromised and a lot of people on it had received the request.

Watch it out there.

That's kind of like the phony Revenue Canada calling and asking you to pay your outstanding taxes by sending them the amount owing in gift cards.  Yet people fall for it.

Ring.....

Hello.  Sheriff's Department, Fraud Division.  How can I help you? 

18 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

If i don't recognize the number it goes to the answering section. If it's important they'll leave a message, otherwise...............delete. Yesterday i cleared my missed call section, had 23 of them, no messages:angry::rolleyes::blush:

If they don't show up in my contract list,  I hang up and block number. 

On 5/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Badlands Beady said:

I keep getting a screaming Chinese lady on my cell phone's answering service. (I don't have the phone on unless I'm out of the of the house)

I played the recorded message to a Chinese friend and neighbour, who translated it, telling me my relative in China had been kidnapped, was being held for ransom and would be tortured and killed if I didn't send money.

We both had a good laugh as he explained it was a common scam targeting Chinese in Canada and the US.

(I'm of Irish, German and English stock with some North American First Nation thrown in for good measure, although I do have a number of distant relations, on the Irish side, who were transported to Australia in the early 1800's.)

Archived