SASS Wire Forum

Tea?

Alpo

When I was a young man they sold tea loose in a box. For the last several years, however, all I have been able to find if tea bags.

Do they still sell loose tea? If so, where?

Check small kitchen ware stores.  Or place like Pier 1 Imports.  Also, I think Wholefoods has some.

I was looking for Twinings tea in Safeway a few weeks ago and could only find bags, frustrating.

Or, if you know what you want, order online.

Yes. in addition to what Joe mentioned, check online, or if you have upscale malls, you might have some tea stores. My daughter spent some time working at David's Teas, a Canadian company opening stores in the U.S.

Here in Canada, we are able to get all sorts of specialty loose teas at The Bulk Barn.

Although I like tea and drink about 1/2 gallon or more a day, I ain't that knowledgeable about teas.

BUT... why not just cut open the bags of tea if you need it loose for certain purposes.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What kind of tea are you looking for?

Just plain old, regular, "nothing special about it" black orange pekoe.

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

BUT... why not just cut open the bags of tea if you need it loose for certain purposes

Because that is not tea LEAVES, that is tea DUST.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Just plain old, regular, "nothing special about it" black orange pekoe.

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Twinings-Ceylon-Orange-Pekoe-3-53-Ounce/dp/B001MOH1IW/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Orange%2Bpekoe%2Btea&qid=1551028176&s=gateway&sr=8-8&th=1

Don’t sell tea short. Years ago a friend gave me a tin of loose tea he got for Christmas. The only writing on it was in Chinese. I got a tea infuser. Man was that some kickbutt stuff! Must have had at least twice the caffeine of coffee. A cup at lunch knocked out those mid afternoon slumps. Two cups and I’d be up till 1am.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh for Pete's sake.  Just go to Coffee and be done with it.  I recommend Sumatra.

I learned to make iced tea when I was eleven. Mama used loose tea. So THAT'S how to make iced tea. With loose tea.

Making iced tea with tea bags is just WRONG.

Making iced tea with coffee would be even more wrong. :P

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I learned to make iced tea when I was eleven. Mama used loose tea. So THAT'S how to make iced tea. With loose tea.

Making iced tea with tea bags is just WRONG.

Making iced tea with coffee would be even more wrong. :P

And iced coffee is even worse!!

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And iced coffee is even worse!!

My 40 something son & daughter never followed their parents coffee habit until my son was turned onto cold brewing.  He convinced his sister to use cold brew.  She used to drink a caffeinated soft drink before going to work; now it's cold brew.  After brewing the coffee is stored in a tight closing container in the refrigerator.  To consume pore into coffee mug & heat in a microwave to drink.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

My 40 something son & daughter never followed their parents coffee habit until my son was turned onto cold brewing.  He convinced his sister to use cold brew.  She used to drink a caffeinated soft drink before going to work; now it's cold brew.  After brewing the coffee is stored in a tight closing container in the refrigerator.  To consume pore into coffee mug & heat in a microwave to drink.

Well if ya heat it then it ain’t iced coffee and I’d probably drink it. ;)

Forgot.  Whilst on my last Mouse Safari, I was able to buy loose Tea in metal cans.  Very handy metal cans.  A virtually unlimited supply of loose Tea in metal cans.  I didn't really care about the tea.  I wanted the Cans.  Makes for an expensive can though.

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well if ya heat it then it ain’t iced coffee and I’d probably drink it. ;)

The cold brew process doesn't extract any oils which eliminates reduces the bitterness of coffee.  I agree cold coffee isn't drinkable.  The only way I can stomach it is with lots of cream & sugar, i.e. a frapachino.

@Alpo,

I respect your choice to purchase actual tea leaves to make your cup of tea.

In these rush - rush times we live in now, most of us, IMHO, tend to take short cuts, at least I do. :blush:

That means purchasing tea bags.

Some 46 years ago I found that I was drinking way too much coffee. :o It started when I was in the Air Force working those swing and midnight shifts. Lots of coffee being consumed. :blink:

Back then, it was 3 - 4 teaspoons of sugar to sweeten it.

Then about 20 years ago, I used my will power (back when I had some to spare), to start cutting back on the amount of sugar I put in my coffee. It was a tough road, but I found I could only get down to 1 teaspoon of sugar. I still needed that sweetness. That's when I made the switch to creamers. Started using Half & Half in my coffee, and only occasionally, the specialty creamers.

Zip to the present, and I still found myself drinking too much coffee, especially at work, even though without the high sugar intake.

Never was one to drink tea, period, as I found them to be too bitter for my taste. :angry:

Until I came across a tea that actually tastes good without the need to add anything to it. :wub:

I now supplement my coffee drinking at work with both bottled water and this tea and have found a happy medium.

799387622_CelestialSeasoningsBengalSpiceTea.thumb.jpg.0fc8f93e4d1f364db412b2565e2b8e94.jpg

Sorry if this got too off topic.

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Alpo,

I respect your choice to purchase actual tea leaves to make your cup of tea.

In these rush - rush times we live in now, most of us, IMHO, tend to take short cuts, at least I do. :blush:

That means purchasing tea bags.

Some 46 years ago I found that I was drinking way too much coffee. :o It started when I was in the Air Force working those swing and midnight shifts. Lots of coffee being consumed. :blink:

Back then, it was 3 - 4 teaspoons of sugar to sweeten it.

Then about 20 years ago, I used my will power (back when I had some to spare), to start cutting back on the amount of sugar I put in my coffee. It was a tough road, but I found I could only get down to 1 teaspoon of sugar. I still needed that sweetness. That's when I made the switch to creamers. Started using Half & Half in my coffee, and only occasionally, the specialty creamers.

Zip to the present, and I still found myself drinking too much coffee, especially at work, even though without the high sugar intake.

Never was one to drink tea, period, as I found them to be too bitter for my taste. :angry:

Until I came across a tea that actually tastes good without the need to add anything to it. :wub:

I now supplement my coffee drinking at work with both bottled water and this tea and have found a happy medium.

799387622_CelestialSeasoningsBengalSpiceTea.thumb.jpg.0fc8f93e4d1f364db412b2565e2b8e94.jpg

Sorry if this got too off topic.

This’n is my go to mellow tea.

86158D6C-1F5B-4952-BA73-C3CA70AAC96B.jpeg

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I have Alpo moments, I wonder how Russians would order Chai.  Chai is the Russian word for tea.

"чай масала" or "чай со специями"

Archived