SASS Wire Forum

Hanging Dummy

Snakebite

We have used a hanging dummy on stages. We used Clay birds with holes drilled in them and hooked the neck rope with a hook and top rope with a hook into them... shoot the bird, dummy drops. It's becoming a PIA to drill out so many birds.... some of them break if you are not very careful. 

If anyone else is doing this,  if so, how do you hook up the dummy to the bird?

Snakebite

22 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

How about just shoot the rope?:ph34r:

^ this.

Be sure to use a small enough rope to break when hit.

Place your hook on the back of the neck to hook the rope to.   That way, you won't be making a noose

each time the rope breaks.

And give your dummy a name, which adds a little to the fun.   If you name it 'Dopie', then you can

name the stage....(are you ready for this)........... Ropie Dopie

:lol:

..........Widder

What we have done is use a small 6x6 plate with two eyelets welded to it.

Top and bottom.

Rope and dummy tied to bottom eyelet.

Top eyelet hung on the end of a rod bolted into the hanging frame and then bent at 90 degrees away from the firing line.

When the round strikes the plate; it pushes the plate off the end of the rod allowing the plate and dummy to fall as a package.

Pickup the plate, rehook it back on the rod and next shooter.

No ropes to re tie or extensive reset.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

What we have done is use a small 6x6 plate with two eyelets welded to it.

Top and bottom.

Rope and dummy tied to bottom eyelet.

Top eyelet hung on the end of a rod bolted into the hanging frame and then bent at 90 degrees away from the firing line.

When the round strikes the plate; it pushes the plate off the end of the rod allowing the plate and dummy to fall as a package.

Pickup the plate, rehook it back on the rod and next shooter.

No ropes to re tie or extensive reset.

BINGO! That sounds like a Peachy idea. I was considering some type of a metal target on top of the gallows that would fall over when hit and release the dummy, but you idea sounds simple enough.... I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Creeker.

Snakebite

I wrote a stage a few years back that ended with shooting the rope to save a pard from hanging (bowling pin suspended by baling twine).  I spent a couple of hours making 60 "hanging ropes".  We shot the rope with a shotgun.

As karma would have it, almost everyone broke the twine except me.:wacko: 

You may recall the Eldorado stage I had a long time ago where you shot a clay bird to drop the "Dressmaking/ Notions" sign. I simply bent wire to make "hooks" to catch the "lips" of the clay bird. It worked every time and no drilling. Make extra hooks.

Fillmore

47 minutes ago, Fillmore Coffins, SASS #7884 said:

You may recall the Eldorado stage I had a long time ago where you shot a clay bird to drop the "Dressmaking/ Notions" sign. I simply bent wire to make "hooks" to catch the "lips" of the clay bird. It worked every time and no drilling. Make extra hooks.

Fillmore

That's how we used to hang clay birds between the hanging rope. I used welding rod and bent it with a loop for the rope on one end the other end I bent to conform to the radius of the inside the bird which helped hold the bird facing the proper direction. Always had a few spares in case they got shot.

Reference The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I use 12" long wooden paint stirrers. They come in a pack of 10 for like .97 at Home Depot. Without unwrapping the 10 pack I drill a 1/4" hole at both ends through the 10 pack of stirrers. With two stout S hooks I hang the stick on one of our target stands on one end with an S hook, and I have a 1/4" thick 6" round metal disc with a hole in it hanging on the bottom of the stick with the second S hook. The object is to shoot and break the rope (stick) so Tuco falls. Could be used for a dummy too.

Just a follow up.

The design I referenced is mostly for pistol/ rifle.

If you want to do shotgun; the smallest diameter PVC pipe (you choose the length) is a pretty good stand in for rope.

Drill a hole at each end and use zip ties to hang it.

The one I built is a gallows with a lag bolt driven into the back side and the head then cut off leaving a smooth pin. The target is a piece of 1/4” strap, 2” wide and about 10” long that plays the role of the rope. A hole drilled in each end, one tied to the dummy (keep it light weight for resetting purposes), the other hangs on the pin. When it’s hit, the “rope” slides off the pin and the dummy falls. It works very well, resets easily and is not prone to unexpected failures. 

We have a "Woody" doll at PRVC at Lazy Arrow that we hang on sticks from a steel support (the attached image is what we use on our scenarios and shows a post). The doll is about 24" long or so. The sticks are usually 36" long and are 3/8" square and cut from pine so they shatter easily. We clip Woody to the bottom end of the stick with a small spring clamp, and use a similar clamp to attach the top of the stick to the top of the support. Goal is to shatter stick so Woody drops to safety (hitting Woody its a "P"!). Target is usually positioned about 15'-18' from the stage, and most of our shooters are able to drop woody to safety by the fourth or fifth shot. Very fun!

RR

Woody on stick copy.jpg

Archived