SASS Wire Forum

Buffalo Bore Rifles

In another thread I mentioned researching the idea of long range shooting. In talking with a pard this past weekend, he mentioned that not all rifling is the same, and some rifles aren't compatible with BP rounds. Since I'm thinking of shooting smokeless and BP, are there certain rifles I should avoid?

Inquiring minds would like to know

News to me too. 

he mentioned that not all rifling is the same, and some rifles aren't compatible with BP rounds

Except for the newer Marlins with the Micro groove bores  ... this statement is news to me.  I have Remington Rolling Blocks,  a '73 Springfield, Uberti '85's and Pedersoli '74 Sharps ... all 45-70 caliber and have no issues with smokeless or black powder groups out to 1000yds

3 hours ago, John Boy said:

Except for the newer Marlins with the Micro groove bores  ... this statement is news to me.  I have Remington Rolling Blocks,  a '73 Springfield, Uberti '85's and Pedersoli '74 Sharps ... all 45-70 caliber and have no issues with smokeless or black powder groups out to 1000yds

Do you have a smokeless 1000yd load you would be willing to share:blush:

PM of course:D

Its for my Pedersoli Boss Sharps (34" barrel).

Yep, the microgroove barrel versions of Marlin rifles sometimes need a hard and full-bore-size bullet to keep from stripping the surface of the bullet.   But, you can usually find a load that will give good if not excellent accuracy.  

The Ballard (standard size grooves and lands)  style barrel in the Marlins are quite strongly sought after.

Good luck, GJ

I was told many years ago (1980ish) to avoid shallow grooved rifles with BP and soft lead. The one time I had issues was with a microgrooved Marlin, tried hard lead and the groups tightened up some but I traded that gun off anyway. I also was told sometime later that worn out big bore rifles don't shoot so well with BP because they can't grip the bullet as well. I have no experience with that though

What do you call LR shooting? True LR starts at 500+ yds.

Look for Ballard type, and avoid Marlin type micro-groove for BP use.

In .45 cal rifle, you want a 1/16-1/18 ROT for the bullet needed to achieve this.

The biggest deal in BP use for LR accuracy, is your fouling control...

I have a proven .45-70, 1K yd load for a single shot rifle. Just because it works in my rifle, does not mean it will work in yours.

OLG

Look down the bore.  Microgroove will almost disappear; Ballard will be very visible even dirty.  Sometimes a barrel is marked Microgroove, but not always.

Good luck, GJ

On 4/30/2018 at 9:32 PM, John Boy said:

Can you see that far....1000yds...

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Nice pics, Pat!

I borrowed from the interwebs...but thanks anyway. :)

Can you see that far....1000yds...

See that far? I didnt even know that far existed. Is that right on the edge of the flat? And if I go there and turn left will I be in China?

45-70 with rear vernier sight on a 10" bulls eye ...

PDRM2903.jpgPDRM2915.jpgPDRM3577.jpg

Archived