SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Long Range Rifles?

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Oh, the other rifle/cartridge combination I really like is the Winchester 95 in .30-40 Krag.  Normally not allowed unless there is an "open" category, which I have never seen happen, I took the gun to a shoot once, and when there was nobody else in line and after I'd shot my "official" string with the 86, I asked if I could try the 95, just for fun.   I was allowed to do so, and did pretty good on the 200 yard gong.

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Timed event at 300yds-Go with single trigger. Have it set for a 3lb pull weight

BTW: Double triggered Shiloh's, can be fired with just pulling the back trigger-just as the original could.

I have med sized hands, any have no issue reaching the front trigger on either of our Shiloh's.

OLG

That is why I said try before you buy if you can.  A well known national shooter had the triggers reversed so it was easier to reach the trigger when shooting offhand.

Didn't say I couldn't reach the front trigger but it was not as comfortable as a high wall with single set for me offhand.

Howdy

First of all, I am going to recommend you go with 45-70. Components are more available than any other long range cartridge. Forget the big boys such as 45-90, 45-110, and 45-120. You can get all the Smokeless powder you need into 45-70, the longer cartridges won't buy you anything. For Black Powder, yes, you will get more of a whomp and more velocity with the larger cartridges. And more recoil. And you will be hunting around more for brass. 45-70 will do everything you want it to do out to 300 yards. And you will find more loading information for 45-70 too.

When I decided to buy a Sharps I wanted a fancy one with fancy checkering, and pewter fore end cap. But checking out the various Italian made Sharps rifles I was not impressed with the craftsmanship of the checkering or the method of attachment of the fore end cap. The cap should be cast in place, not pinned the way the Italians do it. For a fancy Sharps I could have gone with a Shiloh, but did not want to spend that much money. I checked out Dixie Gunworks and they had exactly what I was looking for. Pistol grip, double set triggers, and plain stock without checkering or fore end cap. Pedersoli Sharps Model 1874 Silhouette rifle. 30" 45-70 barrel. By the way, that shotgun style buttstock is just the ticket so the recoil does not shove the points of a crescent shaped butt stock into your body.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8340/category_id/314/product_name/CR0415+PEDERSOLI+SHARPS+M1874+SILHOUETTE+RIFLE%2C+.45-70

I bought it on sale for about $200 less than the list price, which came to about $800 back then. I recommend watching Dixie for sales, they often have specific models marked down for a limited time.

You can spend a fortune on sights, but I didn't go nuts. This is the set I bought.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/1691/category_id/590/product_name/EB0901+1874+Sharps+Vernier+Tang+Sight

This is the front sight I put on it. Again, nothing fancy, no bubble level.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/1763/category_id/589/product_name/EP0704+Hooded+Globe+Front+Sight

Also, do some reading. Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West by Mike Venturino was my bible when I decided to get into 45-70. He has chapters on all the different types of rifles, Sharps, Trap Door, Rolling Block, and High Wall. He also has a very valuable section on loading Black Powder long range cartridges in general, as will as specifics for every cartridge. Not sure if it is still in print, but I just checked and it is available from Amazon.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:52 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

question still remains about single vs double triggers. I know it makes a difference with Sharps configuration (my original 1863 paper cartridge single trigger is a beast), but what about for this action?

The double set trigger allows you to set the front one to a hair trigger. You pull the rear trigger to set the front one, then you just breathe on the front trigger to fire. I actually dialed mine back a little bit so it was not quite so much of a hair trigger.

Or if you want to just yank the front trigger you can fire the gun that way too.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:39 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Simple.  16/50.  2400lb projectile 26 miles, hit a 10 foot bull.  Atz a real "Long Range Rifle."

Yes, he is talking about a 16" Naval gun. As on the Missouri class battleships. The '50' refers to barrel length. The barrel was 50 calibers long.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.php

On 4/17/2018 at 9:08 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Thanks Major, if you'd be willing to bring both to Chapman so's i can have a look, I'd be grateful. You gonna shoot long range on Friday? I'm planning to be there to observe.

I'll bring my original 1863 Sharps cavalry carbine to share. An actual piece of history that shoots .52 cal paper cartridges and saw service in the Civil War.

And don't forget your 1860 Henry. We'll have to compare!

I hope to make it on Friday for long range... But it all depends on if busy at work that day.   I will bring them with me anyway for you to check out.  I plan on shooting the Henry for that match! Should be fun.. full black powder loads!

See ya there Slim

No fans of the Win 1876 as the first, short lived,  rapid fire large game rifle.   I would think that in its first few years of availability it would have been considered a powerful fast-fire med to long range competitor for big game shooting.  I have not shot in any long range rifle matches but for cowboy era guns  and calibers, the old '76 would have been many an old plainsmans dream rifle.  

Aye, if monies were no hindrance, I'd have a Shiloh Sharps in .40-65 along with an 1876 in the same chambering...  just something about 10 extra grains of powder and ~.025" more diameter that has more appeal than the .38-55... :o  However, I make do with my Sharps in .40-90SBN and octagon barreled .30-30 mdl 94 Winchester.

27 minutes ago, a d texaz said:

Howdy

i love my uberti 45-70 highwall with a lee shaver ladder tang site and front sight.

my wife and i shoot this one

my next acquisition will be a pedersoli highwall with a 32" barrel - just because

the project rifle is a marlin - ballard that i bought, my gunsmith is trying to talk me into
using a 38-55 case with 40 cal bullet.... dont even know what to call that one.

love lee shaver sights - great value- good guy!

Good luck

AD

You Mean a 38-56 case the .38-55 case is too small in diameter to take a .40 caliber bullet .... And if you neck-up a .38-56 case you get a slightly shortened .40-65 ... With less powder capacity and needing Custom dies , including forming dies $$$$... You can buy .40-65 Star-line Brass or simply neck-down .45-70 brass .... Way less fuss and muss ... and Cheaper ....

And the .40-65 will do fine out to over 1760 yards ......

Jabez Cowboy

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don't have that kind of patience or funds to spare, especially when there are other high quality rifles readily available. I'm not, nor will ever be, the kind of shooter who can take advantage of the difference. That is, if there is one.  :)

Sent you a PM

Archived