SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Long Range Rifles?

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I don't own a big bore cartridge rifle but am toying with the idea of long range shooting in the future. Just starting to do some research.

Lots of choices and calibers available such as High Wall, Sharps, Rolling Block, Trapdoor, etc. And then there are lever rifles like the Marlin 1885 Cowboy.

What are your favorite guns, length of barrel and calibers? Especially for a newbie?

I also have "middle age eyes" where I need lenses to see things close up like sights . What kind of peep sights are recommended? Are scopes like the 18" Malcom worth the investment?

I reload both BP and smokeless, so that's not an issue, but I'm inclined toward readily available components.

I am also a newbie in long range, but I do love shooting them. My favorite also happens to be one of the most expensive. A Shiloh Sharps, 30" barrel, 45-70. Seems to be a best all around build there from what I can tell. I also have MVA sights and I can say with whatever limited authority I have in my extremely low level of experience, don't underestimate the importance of top quality sights.

Are you going to shoot competitions with it, or is it just for you to have fun on the back 40?  Because I think most competitions for these guns won't allow scopes.  If you get a hadley eyecup on the back sight it should help you find the right sized hole to peep through.  I don't think you'll actually be looking at the back sights, so those middle aged eyes might not cause a problem.  Your focus will be on the front sights or the target. 

High walls seem to be the most common, but I think that's because of availability and price.  Any of them can be good rifles. 

I have and like my Pedersoli Sharps in 45/70.  The Shilohs are great rifles but I don't shoot enough to justify the extra cost.  My favorite gun would be a Browning 45/70 high wall, easy to shoot, but I still like my Pedersoli Sharps looks.  I had a inexpensive ladder peep sight and a globe front sight, but after 18 years I finally got a Soule rear sight and a spirit level front sight.

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Are you going to shoot competitions with it, or is it just for you to have fun on the back 40?  Because I think most competitions for these guns won't allow scopes.  If you get a hadley eyecup on the back sight it should help you find the right sized hole to peep through.  I don't think you'll actually be looking at the back sights, so those middle aged eyes might not cause a problem.  Your focus will be on the front sights or the target. 

High walls seem to be the most common, but I think that's because of availability and price.  Any of them can be good rifles. 

Scopes are allowed in the Optical Category, Pg 19 SHB, so I guess it depends on the individual match. I have seen one though.

Hi Slim,

I use a 32 in Shiloh Sharps in 45/70 with a 525 gr money bullet and BP. Get good sights!  I, like Lumpy, prefer MVA.  The fun part about long range is the correlation between components and accuracy.  Different cases, primers, powders, bullets and wads will be tried. I do all of my experimenting at 300 yds.  Enjoy the fun. The NRA BPCR competitions are interesting. 

Gringo

I own a number of long range guns High wall in 45-90, several trapdoors in 45-70 and 50-70, Rolling blocks in 43 spanish and 45-70, and H&R buffalo classics in 45-70 and 38-55. My favorites are the H&R guns, cheap ~ $450, fast, and accurate. I use a 1901 krag carbine sight around $100 bucks on ebay or gun broker which is easily adjustable for elevation and windage. The proof as they say is in the pudding. I have won the VA and DE state matches a total of 8 times with these guns.

Lumpy, ranges in my area are 300 yards, so that's likely to be my limit except on a rare occasion.

Slim, 300yds being the major distance ... recommend a 38-55 HiWall with a good vernier rear sight.  If you cast, the Ideal 375166, 320gr bullet from the bench will do MOA nearly every time out to 300yds and also is accurate out to 500 meters. Been there, done it many times.  Accurate molds has the clone of the 375166 bullet

This combination has been a favorite of mine since the early 2000's.  And BTW, if you buy a Uberti HiWall, Pedersoli makes their barrels and they are match grade

If all you going to shoot are SASS "long range" side matches then do not invest in a Shilo or similar expensive rifle. SASS long range is usually under 300 yards. And they are more like speed rifle. Winner is most hits in the least amount of time.  So if its timed there is no real opportunity to wipe your barrel or use a blow tube if shooting BP.

An H&R Handi rifle in 45-70 will get the job. Then spend your money on some good sites. MVA has a nice Malcom authentic style scope.

Ike

I have a number of long range rifles also. I agree with John Boy, anything inside 600yds a 38-55 is the way to go. I also shoot the same bullet he does in my HiWall.  I also have a Marlin 38-55 I shoot smokeless and a 265gr gas check bullet in it. Amazingly accurate out to 500yds.

The Uberti .38-55 Hi Walls sold thru Taylors are available with straight or pistol grip stocks. Other than appearance, is there a function difference?

There's also a choice of single or double triggers. I would assume doubles are the way to go? Or is the pull on a single trigger similar to our Winchester clones?

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Slim, 300yds being the major distance ... recommend a 38-55 HiWall with a good vernier rear sight.  If you cast, the Ideal 375166, 320gr bullet from the bench will do MOA nearly every time out to 300yds and also is accurate out to 500 meters. Been there, done it many times.  Accurate molds has the clone of the 375166 bullet

This combination has been a favorite of mine since the early 2000's.  And BTW, if you buy a Uberti HiWall, Pedersoli makes their barrels and they are match grade

AGREE, 110% with JB.

OLG

49 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

question still remains about single vs double triggers. I know it makes a difference with Sharps configuration (my original 1863 paper cartridge single trigger is a beast), but what about for this action?

Try before you buy if you can.  A Sharps with double set triggers is a real reach to the front trigger if you have normal size hands.  I prefered a Winchester with single set trigger when I was shooting silhouette.

Timed event at 300yds-Go with single trigger. Have it set for a 3lb pull weight

BTW: Double triggered Shiloh's, can be fired with just pulling the back trigger-just as the original could.

I have med sized hands, any have no issue reaching the front trigger on either of our Shiloh's.

OLG

28 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Simple.  16/50.  2400lb projectile 26 miles, hit a 10 foot bull.  Atz a real "Long Range Rifle."

Not tracking with ya there pard, unless youz talking about 16" naval rifles. Without perusing the SASS handbooks, I don't think those are SASS legal! :lol: 

Slim, a great shooting long range rifle I always enjoyed was the 38-55.  Light recoil, but could really do very well at SASS long range events.  

I have a Shiloh in 45-110 your welcome to try out any time... Or a Marlin Cowboy in 45/70 also.  

I have a Uberti HiWall in 38-55. Kelley mid-range vernier tear and globe front with level. Very accurate to 300 yds. Adequate to 500. Beyond that, if it’s windy the lighter bullet is hard to predict. Mime is straight stock, Shotgun butt, single trigger. I shoot a 310 grn bullet with Unique powder, about 1200 FPS. Once you figure out your muzzle velocity, you can get basic sight settings from any number of ballistic calculators. Might need a little tweaking, but not much. Fun to shoot, listen for the clang! 

Well plenty of good recommendations.

Me for pistol caliber 357

Rifle caliber I have a 45-70 with ladder sight

Single shot Pedersoli made for Lyman 1877 Sharps (listed as 1878).  45-70 with front globe and mid range sole sight.

The later for me comes in right a 10lbs which makes it a big easier for me to handle Quigley.

56 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Slim, a great shooting long range rifle I always enjoyed was the 38-55.  Light recoil, but could really do very well at SASS long range events.  

I have a Shiloh in 45-110 your welcome to try out any time... Or a Marlin Cowboy in 45/70 also.  

Thanks Major, if you'd be willing to bring both to Chapman so's i can have a look, I'd be grateful. You gonna shoot long range on Friday? I'm planning to be there to observe.

I'll bring my original 1863 Sharps cavalry carbine to share. An actual piece of history that shoots .52 cal paper cartridges and saw service in the Civil War.

And don't forget your 1860 Henry. We'll have to compare!

Of course what everyone is missing is which one looks the purdyest and you look the coolest with.

These are my 45-70's (stock photo's as I am not at home at the moment).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_202/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-1874-sharps-boss.html

http://www.sabatti.it/en/products/classic-92/

I love shooting the Sharps but given the conditions you describe my 1886 would be the best.

Slim, I hope I've covered all the dot points in the PM to you.  If you have any additional Q's, let me know.  Also, let us know what you buy and how it's configured.  And seriously, I believe you'll be happy with a 38-55 HiWall that will meet your shooting needs

If you buy the 38-55, let me know.  I'll send you a tray of 50 Ideal 375166's, 320gr, bullets that are my Go To's for my HiWall out to 500 meters.  They will be lubed with a lube that I use for both BP & smokeless.  Then when you run out of them, Accurate Molds cloned this original Ideal bullet for me so you can cast your own.  Use 1:20 alloy

I had a Pedersoli 30 inch barrel 45-70 for several years I put a peep sight on it but kept the blade front sight. I had thought about buying a globe front sight. I just  couldn't get use to it when I shot another shooter's rifle that had one on it. I didn't shoot mine enough so I ended up selling to another shooter in my club. I do have 2 original trapdoors, both 45-70. We have a long range that goes out to 508 yards at the one club and the other club is part of a complex that has a 1000 yard range....or it's just about finished.

Shiloh and C Sharps are both excellent rifles. (they use to be partners in the business) but along with the price it takes about 2-3 years to get one. There is (or was) that long of a waiting period to have one built; plus I think they require half down payment before they'll even start on it.

i went with the sharps in 4570 , you would do well to get a few you might be inclined toward into your hands , i did that , i fell into mine through a very good friend , but i had already shot it before it was offered to me after my my first thought fell through ,had planned on a marlin cowboy till they got fowled up , i feel fortunate 

20 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Of course what everyone is missing is which one looks the purdyest and you look the coolest with.

These are my 45-70's (stock photo's as I am not at home at the moment).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_202/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-1874-sharps-boss.html

http://www.sabatti.it/en/products/classic-92/

I love shooting the Sharps but given the conditions you describe my 1886 would be the best.

I'd look awesome with any of them!  :D

21 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Slim, I hope I've covered all the dot points in the PM to you.  If you have any additional Q's, let me know.  Also, let us know what you buy and how it's configured.  And seriously, I believe you'll be happy with a 38-55 HiWall that will meet your shooting needs

If you buy the 38-55, let me know.  I'll send you a tray of 50 Ideal 375166's, 320gr, bullets that are my Go To's for my HiWall out to 500 meters.  They will be lubed with a lube that I use for both BP & smokeless.  Then when you run out of them, Accurate Molds cloned this original Ideal bullet for me so you can cast your own.  Use 1:20 alloy

Much appreciated JB!

22 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Shiloh and C Sharps are both excellent rifles. (they use to be partners in the business) but along with the price it takes about 2-3 years to get one. There is (or was) that long of a waiting period to have one built; plus I think they require half down payment before they'll even start on it.

I don't have that kind of patience or funds to spare, especially when there are other high quality rifles readily available. I'm not, nor will ever be, the kind of shooter who can take advantage of the difference. That is, if there is one.  :)

Rolling Block 45/70

And Now  Rolling Block 50/70 

For Single Shot Rifle caliber events , A Uberti High-wall  in .40-65, 30 inch barrel

Single Shot Pistol caliber Uberti Low-wall in .38-40 , 30 inch barrel , Both have Soule type rear sights on the tang with Globe front sights...

Rifle Caliber lever long-range either a Winchester 94 in .38-55 or a Marlin 1895 in .45-70.. Both have ladder sights ...

Pistol caliber lever long-range , 92 in .45 colt with a 24 inch barrel..

Or a Uberti 66 in .38-40 Sporting Rifle ...

Jabez Cowboy

I've been shooting SASS long range, BPCR Silhouette, and Creedmoor for about 20 years.  I've got Rolling Blocks, Shiloh Sharps, High Walls, Hepburns etc., in all sorts of calibers.  But, If I were just starting out and going to shoot out to 600 yards or so,  I would get a Browning BPCR in either 45-70 or 40-65.  These rifles come with Soule sights and Badger Barrels from the factory.  They are the best bang for the buck you will ever come across.  And, if you find out later that long range shooting is not your cup of tea, you won't have any problem selling the rifle. 

While the 38-55 is a fine cartridge, the heavier bullet of the 40-65 or the 45-70 will hold up better when the wind blows.

16 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

question still remains about single vs double triggers. I know it makes a difference with Sharps configuration (my original 1863 paper cartridge single trigger is a beast), but what about for this action?

My sharps has double triggers.  First time I shot it, I thought the unset trigger pull was just fine.  Then I tried it with the trigger set, and the danged thing went off as soon as I touched the trigger.  Tried it again but this time I was reeeeel careful and it went off as soon as I touched the trigger again.  So I shoot mine without using the set trigger.  One of these days I will mess around with adjusting it, but if I had a choice, Id just assume have a rifle with a single trigger.  Double triggers are for double barrels. 

My first long range rifles were an 1884 Trapdoor Springfield rifle in .45-70 and a Winchester 94 carbine in .30-30.

After a couple of shoots I discovered the following; the Springfield was a very heavy gun, and after just a couple of shots it became very difficult to shoot it offhand.   And, at some of the longer long range shoots, the .30-30 just didn't go that far before it hit the ground.

So, I eventually obtained an 1873 Trapdoor carbine, and a Winchester 86 in .45-70 with a 20" octagon barrel.  Both guns very easily could reach out and touch the targets, but, even though I was using a "Trapdoor safe" load, the recoil was quite painfully unpleasant.

So, I switched to a different powder, recoil became very pleasant, but the long range accuracy was still there. 

I have been able to hit targets at up to 1000 yards, but I prefer the shorter long range stuff, that is to say 75 to 150 yards.   Yeah, I know some people don't consider that true "long range" but compared to what we normally shoot, it kinda is, and at those ranges I can actually still *see* the targets.   Something that is quite difficult at the longer ranges unless they are *REALLY* big.   The max range that I'll try my hand at is 300 yards, and that assumes that the targets are not super small.  If they are, or the distance is more than that, I tend to not bother.  It's just too difficult for me.

Archived