SASS Wire Forum

? for ALPO: its about eggs

Widder, SASS #59054

I pride myself in knowing stuff that has absolutely no value.

My brain can't learn new stuff for all the worthless stuff crammed inside.

So, in my quest to learn more useless stuff, here is my question:

Do egg shells dissolve after a period of time?

..........Widder

45 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

My brain can't learn new stuff for all the worthless stuff crammed inside

I've told my daughter, often, "My mind is a storehouse, full of absolutely useless knowledge".

Makes me feel proud, too. 

Got a phone call, around 11 one night, from the son-in-law. They were at a party, and someone had a question, and nobody had a clue as to the answer. Hazel says, "My dad would know", and SIL says, "Yeah, he probably would", and pulled out his phone.

Chester Good (of Gunsmoke) once said something to the effect that egg shells dumped into the coffee pot before you boiled the coffee removed some of the bitter taste. He also said that he didn’t remove the old grounds until the pot was too full to make enough coffee at one time. Then he would take the pot out back and “chip” out the sediment until the pot was empty. Next he had to season the pot with at least one brew before it was ready to make good coffee. If I remember right Matt Dillon wasn’t that fond of Chester’s coffee.

There was no mention of whether the egg shell dissolved in the coffee, but I bet there wouldn’t have been much left after Chester boiled them everyday.

How’s that for useless info?

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've told my daughter, often, "My mind is a storehouse, full of absolutely useless knowledge".

Makes me feel proud, too. 

Got a phone call, around 11 one night, from the son-in-law. They were at a party, and someone had a question, and nobody had a clue as to the answer. Hazel says, "My dad would know", and SIL says, "Yeah, he probably would", and pulled out his phone.

Its a great feeling to know that our children still find us useful; isn't it. ;)

I too have a head stuffed with junk.  I loved to give my daughters straight faced information in response to their questions.  Most of the time I had no idea if the answers were correct.  My youngest, who is now 53, called me a couple of weeks ago because she had used an item I had fed her and was she had been informed that it was completely false.

I know you can feed crushed egg shells back to chickens to increase the birds' calcium.   If they are deficient their eggs will have very weak or incomplete shells.

crush them well or the hens may start eating their own eggs to get the shells if they are fed mostly intact egg shells .  

also learned as a kid not to be chased by a rooster faster than you are--one of those painful lessons

cr

8 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

My brain can't learn new stuff for all the worthless stuff crammed inside.

So, in my quest to learn more useless stuff, here is my question:

Do egg shells dissolve after a period of time?

..........Widder

In about 3 million years or so!:P

7 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

I remember this cool experiment in science class. Put an egg in a jar and cover with vinegar. The shell will dissolve in about 2 days and leave the egg intact.

When a young hen first starts laying, it's common for her first egg or two to be shell-less.  Very strange looking.  Edible, but I could never get past the appearance.  *:-& sick

2 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

When a young hen first starts laying, it's common for her first egg or two to be shell-less.  Very strange looking.  Edible, but I could never get past the appearance.  *:-& sick

Hardpan, 

that wasn't a shell-less egg but rather a big splat of chicken poop..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Hardpan, 

that wasn't a shell-less egg but rather a big splat of chicken poop..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

LOL... THAT difference I can tell.  ;)

By the way.... the Fresno State University Ag Department recently published the results of a five year study of chicken poop - specifically, why it would be two colors ~ predominately a lighter color for basic chicken poop, but with unidentified darker portions.

The result?  After much study the darker substance was finally identified:  more chicken poop.  chicken

15 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I know you can feed crushed egg shells back to chickens to increase the birds' calcium.   If they are deficient their eggs will have very weak or incomplete shells.

crush them well or the hens may start eating their own eggs to get the shells if they are fed mostly intact egg shells .  

also learned as a kid not to be chased by a rooster faster than you are--one of those painful lessons

15 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Another lesson learned - always carry a long stick when walking around geese.  They can really give you a work over.  Remember the little pictures of the goose girl with the stick herding geese?

STL Suomi

Archived