SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun “wrist” support?

Shooting Bull

I tend to be a little hard on my guns. :blush: ( Shut up Ace of Hearts :ph34r:) After having Johnny Meadows work his magic repairing the forends of my shotguns numerous times I recently had to have him repair a broken wrist on one. I’ve since gotten a couple of leather wraps for the forends to add support and hopefully help prevent any future cracking. I’m wondering if something like this is available AND LEGAL for the wrist area. 

What shotgun you wanting to reinforce?   An Ithaca SKB?   97?   BSS?  Stoe(gasp)ger?

What about a couple of long screws or pins that run the length of the wrist, just like an orthopedic surgeon would do on a splintered bone?   Very common to pin a wrist or the receiver face of a butt stock when that area splinters.  Why not pin it before it does?   A couple of 1/4" steel pins roughened up with a checkering file, slathered with Brownell's thin acraglass and forced down holes bored deep through the wrist would be a LOT of extra strength.   Only tough part is drilling so the holes don't break out  or run into a stock bolt hole.

(But what would I know, I'm old. :lol:)

Good luck, GJ

12 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I tend to be a little hard on my guns. :blush: ( Shut up Ace of Hearts :ph34r:) After having Johnny Meadows work his magic repairing the forends of my shotguns numerous times I recently had to have him repair a broken wrist on one. I’ve since gotten a couple of leather wraps for the forends to add support and hopefully help prevent any future cracking. I’m wondering if something like this is available AND LEGAL for the wrist area. 

I don't know about availability, but it IS "LEGAL"...FWIW - rawhide (sewn or tacked) has been used to repair gunstocks since the first Neanderthal broke his on a rock.  :P

- A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the butt-plate or butt-stock. This includes the “wrist”/grip portion of the buttstock.

- A slide on leather cover to protect the offhand from barrel heat or as a repair is allowed on side by side, lever action, and single shot shotguns.

- Leather on the grip surface of the fore end of a pump shotgun or any rifle is not allowed.

SHB p.34

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

What shotgun you wanting to reinforce?   An Ithaca SKB?   97?   BSS?  Stoe(gasp)ger?

What about a couple of long screws or pins that run the length of the wrist, just like an orthopedic surgeon would do on a splintered bone?   Very common to pin a wrist or the receiver face of a butt stock when that area splinters.  Why not pin it before it does?   A couple of 1/4" steel pins roughened up with a checkering file, slathered with Brownell's thin acraglass and forced down holes bored deep through the wrist would be a LOT of extra strength.   Only tough part is drilling so the holes don't break out  or run into a stock bolt hole.

(But what would I know, I'm old. :lol:)

Good luck, GJ

SKB 200

All orthopedic procedures on my shotguns are done by Johnny. I’m just trying to give him a little less business. :D

"I don't know about availability, but it IS "LEGAL"...FWIW - rawhide (sewn or tacked) has been used to repair gunstocks since the first Neanderthal broke his on a rock.  :P"

Heard it's called the "Shooting Bull" fix. :lol: :P

OLG

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Shrinking wet rawhide around the wrist would be kinda ugly but h*!! for stout.

GJ

You have never met Shooting Bull have you?

He ain't pretty and ifin he takes his hat off.....It's much worse!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

"I don't know about availability, but it IS "LEGAL"...FWIW - rawhide (sewn or tacked) has been used to repair gunstocks since the first Neanderthal broke his on a rock.  :P"

Heard it's called the "Shooting Bull" fix. :lol: :P

OLG

Hey! I’m Cro Magnon, not Neanderthal. :angry:

37 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

You have never met Shooting Bull have you?

He ain't pretty and ifin he takes his hat off.....It's much worse!

Met me? We were on the same posse at Winter Range a couple of years ago. I’m sure Joe’s emotionally recovered by now. B)

I've broken several marlin stocks,,,  one was at the wrist, but vertical instead of horizontal,   I bought a long 1/8 drill bit, maybe a foot long,,, drilled down through the broken side,,,  cut the shank off, gorilla glued it and forced it into the hole,,,   it worked,,,

A couple years ago (?) Dragon Hill Dave was on here looking for info on repairing or rawhiding the cracked stock on his TTN (or Cimarron) '78 hammer gun.  I've noticed he is still shooting it with that rawhide on it.

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

i dont baby my working guns but ive yet to break a stock or forearm , you must really use yours hard 

Shooting Bull subscribes to the same school of thought as I do. 

When you are done shooting a long gun - get rid of it as quickly as possible (drop, toss or throw) and hopefully it ends up somewhere in the vicinity of a table or staging area.

I have broken 2 marlin forends too,, and have cracked the forend wood on my skb,,,

Archived