SASS Wire Forum

Need some info about SASS for newspaper interview tomorrow

Duncan Disorderly

I got a call yesterday from the newspaper wanting to interview me about our club and SASS overall.

I'd like to spin this as family fun and entertainment, so I'd like some info to toss into the interview... EOT is now so the SASS HQ is closed...so if those here can help me that would benefit us and our sport.

How many SASS members, currently?
How many are women? (percentage)
World Champions are... and their ages?
How old is SASS/what got it started?

Any other info you think would be fascinating to the general public?

11 minutes ago, Duncan Disorderly said:

I got a call yesterday from the newspaper wanting to interview me about our club and SASS overall.

I'd like to spin this as family fun and entertainment, so I'd like some info to toss into the interview... EOT is now so the SASS HQ is closed...so if those here can help me that would benefit us and our sport.

How many SASS members, currently?  Around 24,000

How many are women? (percentage)

World Champions are... and their ages?  For 2016, SASS Kicker and Missouri Lefty

How old is SASS/what got it started? 

C-001A.gifowboy Action Shooting was first created in 1981 by Harper Creigh aka Judge Roy Bean, SASS #1. After watching a couple of old westerns on TV on a rainy Saturday afternoon, he had a brain storm. An avid shooter in Soldier of Fortune and IPSC type action shooting matches he called shooting buddies, Gordon Davis and Bill Hahn and presented an idea to shoot their next match using western type guns. The rest, as they say, is history.

Any other info you think would be fascinating to the general public?

Yes.  She started College so I think she is still under 20.

Here is the cover of the July 2016 Chronicle where SASS Kicker and her brother won the Nationals.

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/16eChron/16julychron.pdf

A brief history of SASS:

http://www.sassnet.com/About-A-Brief-History-002A.php

Some info on SASS #1, Judge Roy Bean, our founder!  :D

https://treepony.com/who-in-the-heck-is-harper-creigh/

Regarding numbers, the press likes statistics.  The following numbers is my understanding.  So, I would spin or play it this way:

--- there are 105,000+ current and former members 

--- there approximately 25,000 (might be a low number) active members

give the press an understanding of the structure of competition as events.  That is, local clubs, monthly matches, club annual matches, state annual matches, regionals, national, world, etc. 

I tried to go into the SASS Wire list of users to see if you could filter between males and females but that is not an option.

The list is now "on line users" so it changes as people pop in and pop out and about 1/3 of the users are listed as "Guest" which may be people looking but not signed in or they are "Guests".

The numbers would not be a good representation of genders or ages utilizing the Wire list.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I tried to go into the SASS Wire list of users to see if you could filter between males and females but that is not an option.

The list is now "on line users" so it changes as people pop in and pop out and about 1/3 of the users are listed as "Guest" which may be people looking but not signed in or they are "Guests".

The numbers would not be a good representation of genders or ages utilizing the Wire list.

The best estimate of the percentage of female shooters would probably be to look at the stats for Winter Range and EOT.

I just checked our shooter stats for this year.  Women were 24.6%.  Winter Range is the world's largest cowboy match so that should be a pretty good sample.

Larsen 

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The best estimate of the percentage of female shooters would probably be to look at the stats for Winter Range and EOT.

I just checked our shooter stats for this year.  Women were 24.6%.  Winter Range is the world's largest cowboy match so that should be a pretty good sample.

Larsen is on the money, I just checked with Wildshot and Mrs. Slickshot and they gave a similar number for the ladies..  Wildshot said about 15% are Juniors and the rest are "Old Farts"

SASS has an excellent safety record.

Yeah, need to throw some focus on the social aspect - competition but of a friendly kind, not the cut throat kind of competition many people are used to.

Lots of good stuff mentioned here. I have been interviewed a number of times for Newspaper articles and on TV morning shows. I emphasize our safety standards. I have said that our game is kinda like a Video game where the shooter is the main character. I also tell them that if the shooter can put himself into the Mind set of a 6 yr old, and play the game, that it can be one of the most fun shooting experiences available. Dressing the part adds to the overall fun of the game playing. I also add that our shooting game is pure Americana, and is not generally intimidating to anti-gun folks. In general we don't shoot "Man Targets" at our range, but rather we shoot circles, squares, etc, etc. The emphasis in the game is fun, and although we do our best to hit all the targets, Marksmanship is not the main emphasis on the game... that is why the targets are usually easily hit.... But, I also remind them that no target is too Big or Close to hit. I also point out that although we are NOT a firearms training organization, we have many shooters who have never been Gun enthusiast before, and have found a new joy in a game that involves shooting. 

Snakebite

If your interview is available online, I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing it.  Please post a link if you can!

On 6/16/2017 at 4:54 AM, Russ T. Sites said:

I think sportmans ship should be brought up, how many other sports will you see gear offered up when a competitors has broke his

Within the shooting sports-very common.;)

I have seen the very top competitors loan their back-up guns to a novice, after their gun broke.

OLG

Archived