SASS Wire Forum

9mm AR rifle

Trigger Mike

local dealer has been trying to get me to buy one he built.  his other AR in 223 that he builds are the best i have ever seen so I am sure it is a good rifle.  I just can't wrap my head around why i need a rifle in 9mm?  he says it is accurate to 100 and possibly 200.  what kind of stopping power does a 9mm have with an 18 inch barrel at 100?  200?  it is 900 so that is a lot if it is just something for fun.

A local dealer here has one in .45 acp, I think it's an Olympic Arms  for $750.00. I think .45 would be the way to go for an AR in a pistol caliber.

Howdy,

For rounds like .357 or 44 mag, hitting power at 200 yards is about like the

muzzle from a 6 inch barrel.  This is partly because all the powder isn't burned

in a 4 or 6 inch barrel.

As the powder gets less, the barrel needed gets shorter.

There are carbines in 9mm for way less than $900.

I believe the high point folks make one that uses Glock mags and other Glock stuff.

Nothing against the AR style but shop around as there have been new offerings like this.

Maybe shop around a bit first?

Best

CR

I'm thinking this would be more funner.

images.jpg

I had a hankering for a Marlin Camp Carbine many moons ago.  Kinda wish I'd have scratched that itch.

A rifle in 9mm would be fun for plinking with steel case ammo, or maybe as a defensive gun.  But $900 is a lot of money.

I like Dantankerous' idea!

My advice, think of an AR like a Winchester 94. Not designed for pistol rounds. If you want a 9mm rifle buy one that was designed for that round.

I don't care what anyone tells you an AR in 9mm is not reliable. You will have issues. Maybe not right away but you will have issues. Anyone that disputes this is probably selling one or planning to...or just lucky.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My advice, think of an AR like a Winchester 94. Not designed for pistol rounds. If you want a 9mm rifle buy one that was designed for that round.

I don't care what anyone tells you an AR in 9mm is not reliable. You will have issues. Maybe not right away but you will have issues. Anyone that disputes this is probably selling one or planning to...or just lucky.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you on that. There are lots of ARs out there that are pistol calibers out there that are great. I have several that are great shooters. I will say the ones that use Glock magazines are a little bit more reliable but I'm pretty partial to glock. I would never get rid of my glock/AR combo. Tons of fun especially with the 50 round drums. They can be great guns and the extra length of the barrel and anywhere from 200-400 fps. But, $900 is a fair price for a quality AR but if it's a budget AR, (I.e. DPMS) I'd shop around. 

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I'm thinking this would be more funner.

images.jpg

I've always wanted one but the price keeps holding me back!! They're expensive for a plinker. For home defense I'd rather have a handgun or a shotgun!

I will also disagree with Pat Riot.

Years ago AR 9mm rifles were few and far between and could be finicky.  These days that is no longer the case. You can buy new guns that work every time.

I have a couple 9mm AR Colt pattern rifles that I shoot in 2 gun competitions, they are very reliable guns. 

Between the two I have fired at least 10000 rounds in competition, the only failures I have had were operator induced (I tend to be a little over enthusiastic inserting a magazine on the clock sometimes), or ammunition related (had some reloads that I failed to chamber check and were loaded long and didn't go bang).

They are great fun and I can make consistent hits out to 200 yards on full size IPSC steel targets.

Here's a video with the first gun I built in 2012:

9mm suppressed

Built another gun specifically for competition in 2014.  This video has shots on a 'Q' target out at around 120 yards:

9mm 16" competition

P.S.  Not selling one, planning to sell one, or even particularly lucky either.

i gathered from watching the video that it sounded not near as loud out that longer barrel.  Am I right?  I also gathered that out to the further distance it did not ping the target with a lot of force so it answered my question that it lost a lot of takedown at 100.  Am I right on that as well?

This is my Beretta CX4 pistol caliber carbine in .45 ACP.  Uses 8045 Cougar mags.  Lots of toys and improvements available, or use it stock.  Either way, it's a neat little package.  And you can still buy one in MA, where ARs and AKs are now banned.

LL

Cx4_PROFILE_L.jpg

Gotta agree with Dan Tankerous!

The cool factor would be through the roof!

Howlin' Mad Murdock, "Disagreement" is often what makes our country great. :D

I m glad that your experience with AR based pistol caliber long guns has been a good experience. Mine has not. That's all I am saying. I will agree though that my experience was a few years ago and perhaps you and Dead Eye are correct and accurate and my opinion is all wet. But that doesn't mean I am going to go out and build a 9mm AR just to find out. 

So, in this regard, I will defer to you 2 Gentlemen that I may be wrong on this.:)

On 3/11/2017 at 6:37 PM, Trigger Mike said:

i gathered from watching the video that it sounded not near as loud out that longer barrel.  Am I right?  I also gathered that out to the further distance it did not ping the target with a lot of force so it answered my question that it lost a lot of takedown at 100.  Am I right on that as well?

In the suppressed rifle I shoot 147gr at 1050 fps, hits the targets pretty hard, and so quiet the timer won't pick it up unless within a foot of the gun. 

The load for the 16" is 124gr at 1170 fps (wanted a little flatter trajectory for those far away targets) and obviously less energy.  Haven't had any knockdowns past 40 yards to worry about, and just have to make noise on the long range targets.  The 16" rifle is almost as quiet as the suppressed rifle.  If the timer is behind me won't always pick up the shots, kinda like .38 cowboy rifles. :D

You can do the math for energy at the different distances, but I'll tell you this, I'm not gonna stand and let someone shoot at me with any of my loads at any distance.  In reality a 9mm AR is a 100 yard gun.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Howlin' Mad Murdock, "Disagreement" is often what makes our country great. :D

I m glad that your experience with AR based pistol caliber long guns has been a good experience. Mine has not. That's all I am saying. I will agree though that my experience was a few years ago and perhaps you and Dead Eye are correct and accurate and my opinion is all wet. But that doesn't mean I am going to go out and build a 9mm AR just to find out. 

So, in this regard, I will defer to you 2 Gentlemen that I may be wrong on this.:)

It's all good Pat, just sharing a couple data points from my experience.  I have run across a couple folks with 9mm AR's that took a little tweaking to get to work.  Just pointing out that there are few absolutes in this world and YMMV.  Your experience is just as valid as mine.

The suppressed 9mm is just about the most fun rifle I have, I giggle every time I shoot it.

My advice to Trigger Mike is that while a 9mm AR would make a great home defense rifle, and a great rifle for fun and competition that is very cheap to shoot, for serious social work get a rifle caliber rifle.

18 minutes ago, Brimstone Bill Willson said:

Hey Murdock, is that the same match that the Carl at InrangeTV puts on, if so I am jealous.

I have an AR in 40s&w that that runs pretty well, I won't say 100%, maybe 98% :).  It is fun and cheap to shoot but it was expensive to build.

Yes, been shooting with Karl and Ian for many years.  Those matches are great fun and challenge you like no other matches will.

First off, I will state I don't like AR in any caliber, I never got the Black gun craze and I don't own any AR's. Maybe someday I will get one but it is not on the short list of things to get. I have shot them and it just doesn't do anything for me.

I bought a Marlin Camp 9 a couple month ago and I love it. it is a fun gun to shoot and I have some 30rd mags for it and some 17 rd ones.

I am looking for a S&W Model 59 to go with it as that is the mags it uses.

I am slowly looking for a Marlin Camp 45, I believe it uses 1911 mag and would be a great rifle to go with my 1911.

I have owned a couple 1927 semi-auto tommy guns, and the are ok, and look cool, but fully loaded they are heavy and the cool factor and the fun factor don't match.

I have had some of the High point 9mm rifles, they are ok if you just want a cheap 9mm rifle but don't have the cool or fun factor of some of the other things I have.

The best comment I ever heard at a 22lr match about an AR was the guy shooting next to me. I was shooting a Marlin Papoose with a $20 Wal-Mart Chinese 3 dot sight and was having a good day. His grip was about the old guy (me) next to him out shooting him with an old gun and a cheap sight. He was shooting a high dollar AR 22 with all the bells and whistles and not getting a good scores. I overheard his gripe to his buddies. Made my day :D

Archived