SASS Wire Forum

Veterans' Agent

I met my town's Veterans' Agent today for the first time.

I was surprised to learn that MA is the ONLY state in the Union to adopt a statute requiring every city and town to appoint and pay a veterans' agent. The agent's job is to make certain that every veteran in the Town, and the families of veterans, have access to every benefit to which they are entitled under the law.

There is no charge for these services.

The most frequent request? Help to obtain disability benefits.

The most frequently raised disability? Hearing loss and tinnitus.

Now that seems like a common sense kind of service to provide to your citizens. And I wonder why it's not done in other states.

LL

MA may be the only state in the Union to adopt a statute like this, but even without a statue, we have a Veterans Affair office in both Knoxville and Maryville, TN.

Knoxville also has a Veterans nursing home and a fairly good size doctors office.

Plus, they have a hearing center that gives hearing test, hearing aids and repair, etc...

The Maryville Veterans Assistance office has 3 employees. I don't know how many work in the Knoxville office.

Their services are also free.

And of course, my disability is also based on my hearing..... or lack thereof.

..........Widder

My county has a great Veterans Affairs Officer who is a retired marine. He and his assistant do a great job. They both did great work in my latest disability claim filing, which was resolved in my upgrade to 50%. Such a huge difference from all my problems with the VA in the 80's.

Widder:

Not to suggest that other areas are not served by Federal/VA services; we have our share of VA facilities, as well.

The unique twist in MA is that you have a local advocate for every vet in your town, helping you to deal with the VA bureaucracy and the unfamiliar procedures. Particularly helpful for surviving spouses, as well.

LL

Each county in Colorado has a Veterans Service Officer. I can't imagine one in each town. Some would be only a mile or two down the road.

Each county in Colorado has a Veterans Service Officer. I can't imagine one in each town. Some would be only a mile or two down the road.

Mass has 296 towns and 55 cities. I would not be surprised if some towns have paired up for the services of this Veteran's agent. Unless it's an unpaid position of course. Well, it looks like it is a paid position

Department Description:

The MA. Dept. of Veterans’ Services is a state mandated dept. that is in place to assist veterans and their eligible dependents that are in financial need as dictated by MA General Law Chapter 115. This law requires each municipality in the Commonwealth to have a Department of Veterans’ Services administer this financial program. The local Department of Veterans’ Services also assists 100% service connected disabled veterans, and their eligible dependents, that are entitled to Dependency Indemnity Compensation from the VA, apply for the state mandated annual $2,000 annuity. In very limited circumstances the local Department of Veterans’ Services office can assist financially in the burial of a veteran and or their eligible dependents.

Colorado is much bigger but with only 196 towns and 73 cities.

Missouri does it.

Guest Grass Range #51406

Complaining to the DI in basic after the M-1 firing had everyone asking for hearing protection. Stuff a 30 Cal patch in each ear was his advice. Later firing 105s we were told to stuff a 30 Carbine case rim first in each ear. Neither helped and now I can't hear much I have heard enough anyway

Complaining to the DI in basic after the M-1 firing had everyone asking for hearing protection. Stuff a 30 Cal patch in each ear was his advice. Later firing 105s we were told to stuff a 30 Carbine case rim first in each ear. Neither helped and now I can't hear much I have heard enough anyway

This my friend is exactly why you should see one of these folks....Oh yes, I have VA supplied hearing aids.

This my friend is exactly why you should see one of these folks....Oh yes, I have VA supplied hearing aids.

I understand they have tightened up on the hearing loss recently. A friend of mine was denied in Florida.

I understand they have tightened up on the hearing loss recently. A friend of mine was denied in Florida.

Hopefully, the new Prez will correct that situation if its true.

..........Widder

Make an appointment with your VSO office. They will do the paperwork correctly for Healthcare and a disability rating. Two separate things.

Dont rely on second and third hand information that is why a lot of RVN vets arent signed.

Each county in ND has at least one VSO. I tried doing it on my own, but getting all the documents and supporting material was daunting. I friend of mine steered me to the county VSO, and the DAV as my rep. I got my initial rating and am now at 70%.

Most is for Agent Orange, the rest for hearing loss, a GSW in my left leg, and a fractured back. They take care of all the testing and follow-up. My last set of hearing aids were vouchered at over $6500.

Make an appointment with your VSO office. They will do the paperwork correctly for Healthcare and a disability rating. Two separate things.

Dont rely on second and third hand information that is why a lot of RVN vets arent signed.

There are guys with far more serious issue than. No sense in me clogging up the queue.

My question to myself is did my hearing loss take effect because of my firing the 81 mm Mortar for Uncle Sam, or because of my recreational shooting of my beloved firearms. Big difference in the issue. I suggest that perhaps the old 30-06 rounds out of my deer rifle had as much to do with it as the Mortar and perhaps much more. Or maybe it was just a genetic issue with my body.

In any event, I think I will just keep my own council and not interfere with those that are more deserving of the resources.

There are guys with far more serious issue than. No sense in me clogging up the queue.

UB...that's why all the VSO's are out there, to speed it up. The upgrade I received earlier this year took about 5 months. Used to take years!

About 15 years ago when the DAV sued the VA in my behalf and won, it took over 5 years to get the upgrade, even with a court order! IMHO the system is much more efficient and faster than it used to be.

My question to myself is did my hearing loss take effect because of my firing the 81 mm Mortar for Uncle Sam, or because of my recreational shooting of my beloved firearms. Big difference in the issue. I suggest that perhaps the old 30-06 rounds out of my deer rifle had as much to do with it as the Mortar and perhaps much more. Or maybe it was just a genetic issue with my body.

In any event, I think I will just keep my own council and not interfere with those that are more deserving of the resources.

Agreed.

Although I do have some 8mm movies I took. One is a 155 firing from about 20 yards away. Took two hands to handle the camera. No fingers in my ears! :D

But you're so special.. when the draft board put me on the bus they had no concern about clogging the system. The system today is so huge you wont be clogging it. But if it's all the same to you I'll keep my $6.5k aids, my free delivered to my door Rx's and my monthly tax free check.

. But if it's all the same to you I'll keep my $6.5k aids, my free delivered to my door Rx's and my monthly tax free check.

Me too!

But you're so special..

Not sure what you mean by that.

Evidently you can afford to give away benefits you earned. BTW, if you have VA Healthcare and you need hearing aids or glasses, etc.. you get them it has nothing to do with having a disability rating from hearing loss. I got the impression you thought some of us were gaming the system. Since I'm an RVN Vet I automatically qualify for VA Healthcare. IMO, any RVN Vet not enrolled is simply screwing himself.

Archived