SASS Wire Forum

whats the best age to start karate?

Trigger Mike

my children want to learn karate. i took them to the free sessions and all but the oldest boy love it. to me though 5 and 7 are too young to start karate. my 12 year old instigated the idea. she seems to do well. the 7 and 5 year old to me lack strength and coordination.

As they say, "The teacher will appear when the student is ready".

If you have the money & time, I would send them when they have the desire to do it.

It seems most great athletes and musicians started at very young ages.

Sounds like you are a caring and loving Dad.

Cherish the moments.

I would highly recommend that if you do allow your children to take Karate, I did, that you monitor their stretching activities. Especially if the "Karate" or martial art is Tae Kwon Do. Emphasis on stretching and flexibility stretches the ligaments beyond what they should be and may cause issues later on in life. I took Shorin Ryu, Okinawan Karate when I was in the Navy. This training was also tied to Tae Kwon Do (we had 2 instructors, each taught their style of martial arts). I made myself very flexible by stretching. Today I have arthritis in my hips and will be getting a hip replacement someday soon. I could do full on sideways splits and I could kick a 7 foot man right in the nose...as if...

Anyway, I think it's great training for kids. It's good exercise and it builds confidence and self esteem.

There is a lot of debate on that subject. I hold a brown belt (Ikkyu) in Kenpo Karate. My instructor wouldn't take kids under 8, because he found they often tended to lack the coordination and attention span for even a half hour lesson. He set the line where it would eliminate the need to explain to parents their child wasn't ready while another of the same age might be.

Having said that, there are plenty of dojos that will take younger children. While I tend to agree with my instructor about kids and their lack of coordination and attention span, in my mind, the age to start depends on two things, both of which require a realistic assessment by the parent and sensei:

The attention span of the children. In your case, if the children have the attention span to complete a lesson, I see coordination as not being such a problem. One of the reasons for engaging in the martial arts, or sports in general, is to increase coordination.

The ability of the dojo's staff to work with younger children in an age appropriate manner. Just because a dojo accepts students of a young age doesn't mean they have instructors on staff capable of working with the children in a meaningful way that is going to work for the kids. Essentially, you need someone with the talents to be a successful Kindergarten or Elementary school teacher. This should be judged with a critical eye, but not necessarily a cynical one.

I hope this helps.

My kids are in Black Belt testing phase right now for MMA Karate. They are 13 and 15 and have been doing it for over 4 years. I see some of the younger kids, as young as 5, in their school, and I have mixed feelings. It certainly doesn't hurt for kids to learn early on how to pay attention and follow instructions, and the physical training is good for them also. But I see some of the 9 year old Black Belts and I just feel it sorta diminishes the accomplishment, as these kids couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, they are just too small. Plus most people tend to drop out after they get their 1st degree Black Belt, and if you do that at 9, you really don't get the full affect of the training, as your coordination and strength aren't up to their full potential yet. And just an FYI, make sure you talk about the fees in the long run, the training can get much more intensive and expensive when they get to their Black Belt training.

Why don't you ask the instructor?

OLG

Because there are to many unscrupulous instructors who will tell you what you want to here and promise the moon to get your name on a contract. Do your homework carefully it's a long term commitment and expensive. Once you sign that contract your committed to that monthly payment for at least a year since most schools sell the contract and after that have no control over it. If they promise that your child will be a black belt in 18 months run like hell. For us it's an 8 year journey to black belt and when you get there it's worth every minute and every dime because you EARNED it. We will not start a child in the regular kids class until they are 6 at a minimum and we prefer 7.

HTH Master Chinese Kempo

Depends on the kid. I started at 9 with Okinawan Karate. I did very well and was in it for several years before the teacher quit. I really wish I could have found another dojo to go to but there weren't any here at the time.

Really I think it depends on the kid. I see some that would be fine starting at 7 or 8 and others that I wouldn't start at 20.

In addition to what Henry T. Harrison wrote, I would recommend asking about fees. Some schools have specific testing fees as well as association fees and the like, that can be a bit of a surprise to some.

i did mention to the instructor but their reply was they have several their age and they really do, a whole class just for that younger age group, but they are mostly playing it seems to me. my 12 year old is actually fighting with women instead of other children. she seems to be doing well against them. she is real strong and can throw her 11 year old brother down even before karate that she just started. they do stretch some, for about 5 minutes.

Short answer: depends on the kid, the school, the art, and the teacher. Too many variables to boil it down to an age.

For me, I started teaching my son Kung Fu at a very rudimentary level when he turned 4. I'll have him enrolled when he is 5 if he can manage to stay focused long enough. I didn't start training until I was 12, 30 years ago, but that worked out well for me as I was a late bloomer in the physical development area. Heck I was only 5'5" when I joined the Army and left at 5'10". Anyway, getting kids involved before puberty is a good thing, as their bones and muscles will develop around the art, thus less chance for injuries later and they will excel in the art physically. Probably mentally as well, but that's another issue entirely. The most important thing I could add is to make sure they are having fun with it. If it isn't fun, then they won't stick. About 80% don't stick anyway, but more so when they don't enjoy it.

I mentioned this thread to my wife, a 3rd degree black belt. Her immediate answer to the question of age was "when their heart is in it."

Barry Sloe

I mentioned this thread to my wife, a 3rd degree black belt. Her immediate answer to the question of age was "when their heart is in it."

Barry Sloe

Be nice to her Very nice

Negotiate the contract! I wouldn't sign up my son a few years ago unless it stated month to month only commitment.

That way I could explain to my son that he had to go on those rare times he didn't want to and if he continued to lack interest, we wouldn't renew the next month. He did it about 2 years until baseball and football became his passion.

The first actual class he was about 5 or 6 and another young kid had focus issues and was fidgeting, the owner/instructor lightly "spanked" his bottom with the clapper thing I call it, I watched my son a few positions back and over quickly stand up straight and tall! I knew then this could be a good thing for him.

What I hated and was touched on, was even at that age, my son did "testing" to get stripes put on his belt periodically and each "test" was an extra fee!

What I hated and was touched on, was even at that age, my son did "testing" to get stripes put on his belt periodically and each "test" was an extra fee!

We have never charged a separate fee for stripe testing, belt testing is another matter.Belt testing is done in a private session and does require an extra fee

We have never charged a separate fee for stripe testing, belt testing is another matter.Belt testing is done in a private session and does require an extra fee

Was that done during a scheduled private lesson? My instructor, along with a number of Kenpo instructors I've run across, do a half hour private lesson weekly, along with all of the group classes you can attend. So, technically, there was the fee associated with the private lesson, but there was never an additional fee on top of it. Just curious.

I should note for the uninformed that yes, there is a difference between Kempo, of which Henry T. Harrison is a Master, and Kenpo, which I practice

Was that done during a scheduled private lesson? My instructor, along with a number of Kenpo instructors I've run across, do a half hour private lesson weekly, along with all of the group classes you can attend. So, technically, there was the fee associated with the private lesson, but there was never an additional fee on top of it. Just curious.

I should note for the uninformed that yes, there is a difference between Kempo, of which Henry T. Harrison is a Master, and Kenpo, which I practice

Is it Kenpo or Kempo?

Actually either is correct; both have the same meaning in Japanese “The Law of the fist”. The confusion comes from a quirk in the translation from written to spoken Japanese. If the rules of proper translation are followed it is written as Kenpo but pronounced as Kempo.

Actually the more important question is Tracy or Parker?

We do both group and private lessons the private lessons are an extra cost. We try to keep our instructor student ratio at 3:1 and keep students in their own age and skill level. We never mix adults and children in classes

Is it Kenpo or Kempo?

Actually either is correct; both have the same meaning in Japanese “The Law of the fist”. The confusion comes from a quirk in the translation from written to spoken Japanese. If the rules of proper translation are followed it is written as Kenpo but pronounced as Kempo.

Actually the more important question is Tracy or Parker?

We do both group and private lessons the private lessons are an extra cost. We try to keep our instructor student ratio at 3:1 and keep students in their own age and skill level. We never mix adults and children in classes

You are right, I was thinking of Shaolin Kempo, which I understand to be different from the American Kenpo as taught by Parker et. al. Although, if I understand correctly, there is still some interconnection there.

As for my instructor, he is trained in both the Parker System and Tracy System, receiving his ranks under Jay T. Will. He appears on an early Kenpo Family Tree that Mr. Parker would include in his Infinite Insights into Kenpo books as what I would call a second generation black belt. In latter years of my training prior to my final deployment with the military in 2008, we would go to seminars with Lee Wedlake, Huk Planas and the like.

Depends on the kids and the discipline. I held a judo and jiu jitsu kids class for 5 and 6 year olds up to 10yo. If the instructor can properly hold their attention, the kids have the learning capacity and coordination. Desire to be there is the main thing. If they don't want to do it, save everybody heartache and don't make them.

I would agree on the age to start depends on the child and what their attention span is. The studio I go to has a class for what the call "little samurais" The class has some martial arts moves, but it is mostly for the kids to have fun. Our studio has no additional fee for colored belts, but there are additional fees for Black Belt training and testing. If they do the training and are not able to take the Black Belt test the will not have to pay the training fee again. The Black Belt fee depends on the degree you are testing for. I am going for my second degree and it is a bit more than first degree. I do get a bit of a discount as I also help out with classes. Just make sure that the studio is a real martial arts studio, not a pay me and you will get a belt studio.

As an aside I did not start until I was 51 in karate, got my Black Belt at the age of 54 then sort of left life get in the way and dropped it for 15 years. I just started up in 2013 with Tae Kwon Do and really like it.

Depends on the kids and the discipline. I held a judo and jiu jitsu kids class for 5 and 6 year olds up to 10yo. If the instructor can properly hold their attention, the kids have the learning capacity and coordination. Desire to be there is the main thing. If they don't want to do it, save everybody heartache and don't make them.

There is nothing as frustrating as trying to teach a child who doesn't want to be there. It is a disservice to the child, the instructor and the other students in class and a waste of your money

Archived