SASS Wire Forum

AR-15 Clip-On Brass Catcher

Cat Brules

I'm wondering how to better the percentage of saves of my 5.56x45mm and caliber .223 brass without scavenging for it. I've been wondering about these devices that you hook on or clip onto the weapon.

What's your experience and recommendations, or what is your method of saving brass?

Has anyone tried one of these things?

How well does it work?

Any disadvantages?

Where did you get it and which one?

Did you fabricate it yourself?

What was the cost?

Did you have to modify it?

Any other comments?

Thanks in advance,

Cat Brules

Midway, Caldwell AR brass catcher. There's two models, one that has a picatinny rail block goes on the upper receiver rail. The bag slides on that. Works like a champ. They also have a slip on model that has thick velcro strap that goes on the forend. This also works like a champ !

I have had both the velcro model and rail-mounted model. The rail-mounted model has provided me a far better success rate (100%) of catching and retaining brass and much easier operation than the velcro model. It fits nicely in between my flip-up iron sight and my EOTech and interferes with neither. The whole thing is adjustable too, giving you plenty of options as far as where exactly to mount it. It also has a sturdy structure which provides a big mouth for catching the brass. I can't recommend it enough.

As Dubious mentioned, this is the one I'd go with:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/779085/caldwell-brass-catcher-ar-15-picatinny-rail-mount-nylon-mesh-black

Also, bought the Velcro model, Didn't like the way it hung on the rifle so I bent the wire at the rear of the bag to conform to the cartridge deflecter . Actually worked pretty good for one clip full, then zipper broke. GW

I use a velcro secured one in the winter when the snow is deelp.

Doesn't look cool.

Works fine.

I guess they would be OK like Bob says in the snow but I think they are stupid looking. You will not see them at a match. If your gun is properly gassed the brass will all fall within a small area when practicing. Just go pick it up. I have thousands of 223 brass so loosing a few doesn't matter. For cheap plinking you can sometimes get foreign stuff almost as cheap as reloading. For match ammo I do try to get most of my brass back but never at a match. Shooters who cry about lost brass at a CAS match had better not start 3gun.

I guess they would be OK like Bob says in the snow but I think they are stupid looking. You will not see them at a match. If your gun is properly gassed the brass will all fall within a small area when practicing. Just go pick it up. I have thousands of 223 brass so loosing a few doesn't matter. For cheap plinking you can sometimes get foreign stuff almost as cheap as reloading. For match ammo I do try to get most of my brass back but never at a match. Shooters who cry about lost brass at a CAS match had better not start 3gun.

+1000

I use the Velcro type and if you cinch it tight it works great. On my AR and my Mini14 that mini slings those suckers all over the place if you don't use one.

Al

Yep I bought one. Figure it would better then crawling on my hands and knees picking brass. I was wrong. Used it for one mag, been hanging one a nail ever since

What I bought: Brownell's AR-15 Brass Catcher.

On my property, I shoot in.various areas and all those areas have grass and weeds from semi-bare earth with 4" to 6" all the way up to 36" tall dead, yellowed grass. Picking up the expended cartridges (brass or steel) is a tedious process. So, I've debated to myself whether I should use a flat tarp, a catch-wall (pvc pipe and soft netting) or one of these brass catchers attached to the weapon.

So, I appreciate the input here. It appears that either the clip-on or the strap-on device will work, so I'm going to give the clip-on brass catcher a try first. Thanks very much.

I would like to hear additional input.

The version that clips on the rail is the stouter of the two. Unfortunately it would not work with my scope mount. Went with the Velcro one and it works fine, just not as sturdy. The guys shooting at the bench next to me seem to appreciate it too. ;)

FWIW, I got mine off of Amazon.

I couldn't care less if they're stupid looking. I'm not trying to look like a tacticool ninja.

I couldn't care less if they're stupid looking. I'm not trying to look like a tacticool ninja.

Yeah, I don't care if it looks like te AR version of a beanie. I just want my spent cartridges back, and maybe more important, I don't want them (brass or steel) scattered all over the areas on my property where I shoot. I try to pick up everything...metal, wood, paper, plastic, etc., no matter how small, that I come across.

Are these brass catchers compatible with left hand shooters? I use a tarp to catch brass or on my property a metal detector. I live in fine sand and brass can easily disappear. 380 & sooty 45LC is hard to find visually in the sand.

I've got the rail mount version for mine. At the local public range, the ground is gravel and covered in old brass and shotshells. Almost no one polices their area. Makes it a lot harder to find the brass you're looking for. My other autos, levers, and pumps I lay down a tarp to catch just about every one. I do like it quite a bit for the AR. It's a lot easier to open up the zipper over a bag after a 30 round mag than it is to pick up 30 brass. It also makes it certain that I'll get back my good Lapua brass and not loose any. In a match situation, I would not use it. Like UB said... I don't care what it looks like. It makes my life easier so they get my vote :D

I don't need a catcher for the Garand i just lay a small tarp down and it puts them all in a neat pile. The Ar and Mini 14 however... Fortunately I have my own range so I don't have to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged tacticool guys.

I could even shoot nekkid if I wanted.

(Another good reason to have a hot brass catcher)

Howdy,

Skipping all the above, I tried a hard plastic one once.

It started bouncing empties back into the action.

I was going to modify it but got more involved with western guns.

Some .223s do a great job of throwing brass ever wheres.

Best

CR

I have the Velcro and the rail mounted one. The Velcro would not go around my rail and rail covers very well but worked for a few mags. The rail mount is great. I unzip it and let the brass fall on a tarp. Works well and keeps the hunt for brass short.

DM

Archived