SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Morgun Play

Stage description calls for staging long guns on horse, pistols holstered. No mention of where to re-stage long guns.Can long guns be safely re-staged on table as well as horse? Table and horse are in front of shooting position.

It is best to pose the question at the end of the reading of the stage instructions. Then everyone can benefit from the answer and it will save time and frustration later when someone is trying to determine if you deserve a penalty for it.

Perfect example of why I use the words "make safe" when I write stages.

Do you also tell them to pick up their long guns and take them to the unloading table? If they need to be told to make them safe, maybe they're too unsafe to be shooting.

Wide variety of folks playing this game, from young to old, to new to the game to seasoned hands.

While many of us understand that no specified place to restage a long gun means 'make safe anywhere' there are those who can benefit from having those few extra words in the stage description.

If the instructions didn't specifically state to make safe back on the horse, then no, you can make them safe on anything available, such as the table you describe. It's really quicker, easier, and usually safer to make safe on a table or shelf, than on a horse, as sometimes those horses can allow a gun to fall, if not carefully placed.

RBK

Stage description calls for staging long guns on horse, pistols holstered. No mention of where to re-stage long guns.Can long guns be safely re-staged on table as well as horse? Table and horse are in front of shooting position.

​REF: STAGE CONVENTION #6

​SHB p.22

​RO1 p.14

Do you also tell them to pick up their long guns and take them to the unloading table? If they need to be told to make them safe, maybe they're too unsafe to be shooting.

Actually, this term is used to mean, stage/restage them where you will as long as it's safe. Not instructing the shooter to make them safe as in, "rifle staged safely at position 1".

Thanks to all that replied. I was called for a P by the T.O. For restaging my rifle on the table. I made my argument to the M. D. Using the stage conventions rules and the penalty was overturned. Just didn't want the win if I was wrong about the understanding of the rule.

Unfortunately not every shooter knows the stage conventions and these few words answer their questions. Easy fix that doesn't make the stage description too wordy.

So, if they don't know the stage conventions, every stage description needs to list them all? Or where do you draw the line? Tell them to make the long gun safe or shotguns are staged open and empty. Or revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string?

Knowing to make the long guns safe is one of the simplest things they need to learn to begin with.

Did any of you notice 'HE' used red ink?

;)

..........Widder

Maybe cause it's his birthday and he's just seeing red. :o Happy Birthday PW :)

So, if they don't know the stage conventions, every stage description needs to list them all? Or where do you draw the line? Tell them to make the long gun safe or shotguns are staged open and empty. Or revolvers are returned to leather after the shooting string?

Knowing to make the long guns safe is one of the simplest things they need to learn to begin with.

Ta Daaaa!! :D We usually mention Stage Conventions at the safety briefing ;) Any questions :huh: If I have to write one in then I would need to include them all...like default start position "upright-hands by side-no crouching tiger" :wacko: That's why I only use 4 not 4+ for a four target shotgun round count, the Stage Conventions tell us we can shoot till down.

The only time I write in "make safe" is when there is downrange movement and the need to take it with you. Also there is a note at the bottom of the stages that says sumpin' like...."Note; sweeps may go in either direction, Nevada sweep from either end". This allows the left hander, two handed, duelist, DD style, GFer the option to shoot the stage that best suits their category and transitions. Beats the #&!! out of "Start on the left" Start on the left" Start on the left" :wacko: ....Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Thanks to all that replied. I was called for a P by the T.O. For restaging my rifle on the table. I made my argument to the M. D. Using the stage conventions rules and the penalty was overturned. Just didn't want the win if I was wrong about the understanding of the rule.

The most disappointing part of this simple call is it even had to go to the match director! Why the TO couldn't grasp the simple concept is a bit baffling. Maybe he needs to get his RO1 pin current!

Baffles me how some can't grasp simple English. Don't read more into the stage description than what is there, you always have to make the gun safe so there is no need to write it in, the difference between "and" and "then" is significant, and if it doesn't say you can't and there isn't a rule prohibiting it, than you can! Sheeesh!

If I had a dollar for every time I got, "So can I double tap?" I'd have at least a couple monthly matches paid for by now! :D

I have read each page specified and don't see the reference to where a shooter may leave the firearms. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

SJS

That's just it. There is no specific place. As long as they are open and empty and safely pointed downrange, there is no other requirement. With all the different ranges and props around the world, there is no way to list them all. So, open and empty pointed safely downrange.

​REF: STAGE CONVENTION #6

​SHB p.22

​RO1 p.14

I have read each page specified and don't see the reference to where a shooter may leave the firearms. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

SJS

6. Long guns will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointed safely down range.

17. Long guns will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointed safely downrang

Pick a spot, table, window, horse, wagon, hay bale..etc..etc. As long as it's open and empty and pointed safely down range, that's it. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

That's just it. There is no specific place. As long as they are open and empty and safely pointed downrange, there is no other requirement.

With all the different ranges and props around the world, there is no way to list them all. So, open and empty pointed safely downrange.

Fixed that for ya.

;)

OK got it, thanks!

Just for clarification. If the stage writer has left placement of the safe firearms after shooting them up to the shooter the following are the default positions:

Pistols go back in the holsters.

Long guns may be placed anywhere safe including taking it with you to the next shooting position.

And if the action closes inadvertently it is OK if the firearms proves to be safe when shown clear by the shooter to the TO.

OK got it, thanks!

Just for clarification. If the stage writer has left placement of the safe firearms after shooting them up to the shooter the following are the default positions:

Pistols go back in the holsters.

Long guns may be placed anywhere safe including taking it with you to the next shooting position.

And if the action closes inadvertently it is OK if the firearms proves to be safe when shown clear by the shooter to the TO.

Action closing does not have to be inadvertently. Intentional closing is ok, so long as it is cleared.

Archived