SASS Wire Forum

Do you get your brass back?

July Smith

Winter range is the only match left that I'm aware that is still a lost brass match. EOT started giving back your brass a few years ago. If it says lost brass match then you get your revolver brass, any thing you manage to catch from your rifle i.e. In hat, or brass shotshells if used. If not posted asked.

Been shooting for a year. I initially bought 1,000 Starline. Wife and I have shot about 5,000 rounds and not close to running short. I get back 10-20% stray brass which I discard or relegate to practice (non-Starline reloads sometimes don't want to chamber). Picking up brass is the dirty little job of match duty but I try to do my part even though it kills my elbows. If I'm not preparing to shoot a stage then I'm picking, spotting, score keeping, resetting targets, etc., and in my experience it's what 90% of the other shooters are doing too. "Many hands make for light work." Shot shells, I don't do; I donate those.

We have some ridiculously skilled brass pickers where I shoot. One match has terrible ground and could use a rake in the bays(which I will be bringing upon my next trip). Another match has made incredible improvements to a cow town that used to eat brass. The last piece of lost brass I heard of there was found in an upturned pants cuff. They did an amazing job of fixing the brass monster.

You'll have to accept that the people in CAS are older than most shooting competitions and will expect the younger shooters to do more and will be slower to get off their stools. That said, at some point we have to trust that those who can no longer physically help out with the resetting of the stage will come just for the socializing and forego the shooting portion of the match entirely.

....That said, at some point we have to trust that those who can no longer physically help out with the resetting of the stage will come just for the socializing and forego the shooting portion of the match entirely.

Lots of ways to contribute to a posse, a club, and the sport other than just picking brass or setting steel.

Lots of ways to contribute to a posse, a club, and the sport other than just picking brass or setting steel.

I agree Dave, but when the pyramid becomes heavily inverted, the point bearing all the weight becomes worn out quickly. It's a hard sell everyone paying the same match fee and the same guys getting stuck walking to and fro all day. We have a term for those guys in 3-gun: match staff. They reset everything with a smile on their face, probably because they don't have a match fee...not trying to change the course of the creek, just talking about how the river runs...

And if all those guys ain't paying match fees a club ain't gonna be around long. I know folks who spend many tens of hours each month, behind the scenes doing club work who may not be able to set steel or pick brass, to tell them they shouldn't be shooting is an insult.

edit to add

I understand where you are coming from, when folks feel like they are the only ones working and feel like others just skate it's frustrating. But to condemn an entire class of people who aren't physically able to do some things is wrong.

A body in motion stays in motion. Typically, people can no longer bend over because they quit bending over, just like any physical task. I truly believe there are many shooters in SASS that are still alive because they stay active at matches. Although we only shoot for 2-3 minutes, the physical activities go on for several hours; setting up matches, tearing down matches, resetting, brass picking, etc. People that do the most appear to be in the best condition regardless of age. I understand there are those that have ailments that restrict them from performing some posse duties. Everyone needs do their fair share of posse assignments. Bend over and use the best brass picker, your hands.

edit to add

I understand where you are coming from, when folks feel like they are the only ones working and feel like others just skate it's frustrating. But to condemn an entire class of people who aren't physically able to do some things is wrong.

Agree with ya Grizz. It's the ones who are very able to work it but don't, who stand out... in a negative way.

Flip that coin over. We have folks that can get around kinda like Tim Conway in an old Carol Burnett skit. They shoot and go sit down. I couldn't be more happy for them to be on my posse and think it's fantastic that they are there shooting. I am more than happy to pick up their part in working the posse. ;)

Poor brass pickers at yesterdays match tried very hard to find all my brass but came to unloading table apologizing for not finding it all. I wore a hat I do not usually shoot in, it has a half inch brim lip and very wide brim. At the unloading table, each stage I found between 2 and 6 pieces of brass in my hat after my guns were cleared.

I'm not able to bend after several back surgeries, I'm barely able to walk, but the most outdoor activity I do is shooting weather at a match or for fun. For fun I use a brass catcher or shoot 22s. At a match I station myself at the ult except when in line loading or shooting so I feel I pull my load as best as I can. I sit on a stool at the tables to keep my back spasms down. If you dontwishto shoot with me or those that can't fine but I'll be shooting as long as I can.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 11, 2016 - Insulting
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, July 11, 2016 - Insulting

I'm not able to bend after several back surgeries, I'm barely able to walk, but the most outdoor activity I do is shooting weather at a match or for fun. For fun I use a brass catcher or shoot 22s. At a match I station myself at the ult except when in line loading or shooting so I feel I pull my load as best as I can. I sit on a stool at the tables to keep my back spasms down. If you dontwishto shoot with me or those that can't fine but I'll be shooting as long as I can.

Blackey,

We all know about your physical condition, you keep reminding us. You could move your stool up, set on it, and be a counter when the bay is open enough for one to see from one spot. You could possible use those extended pinchers to 'help' shag a few pieces of brass or hulls and then get back on your stool (no need to bend over or be on your feet long). You could possible carry a few handfuls of empties back to ULT per match. Some how, you manage out in the real world, as when you go to the grocery store or gas station or anywhere else. People would understand a whole bunch more when someone gives token efforts to be part of the posse. You can cowboy up enough to shoot, so cowboy up a smidgen and extend your efforts beyond the ULT.

Just saying

PS,, at todays monthly, there were usually five people bending, picking, and shagging brass. Yep, the counters were three of the five, and someone else reset targets. The people just rotated in and out and thus, no one felt abused about always being the one on their knees or having to always walk back to the ULT. TO was helping too, after reporting the score. It just made a more harmonius atmosphere.

Bravo Blackie!

Keep on keepin' on as long as you can.

Regards,

Allie

That's right Grizz, loading and unloading tables, scoring, spotting, helping with sign up duties, emailing members with news about an upcoming shoot, bringing donuts!!! :lol:

I guess I'm pretty fortunate to shoot at the clubs that I frequent down here because everyone of them let me man the unload table because of severe scoliosis, numerous surgeries, 21 vertebrae fused and instrumented. Like Blackey says I'm going to shoot as long as I can. Assassin, I'm going to be up in your neck of the woods on the first weekend of October and was planning on shooting with your club on the first and with the Casper club on the second. If I'm not welcome let me know and I won't bring my gun cart, guns and cowboy clothes up.

Yul - There are two clubs that shoot in Cheyenne, both at the Otto Road range. The Cheyenne Regulators shoot the first Saturday of the month, Wild Horse John is the ramrod of that outfit. The Border Vigilantes shoot the third Saturday of each month, Assassin is the ramrod of that outfit.

I feel sure that you would be welcomed at a Cheyenne Regulators match, heck, they even let me shoot with them when I take a mind to. Let me know for sure if'n yer gonna be there and I'll make sure to head that way as well.

No shortage of shooting in Northern Colorado / Southern Wyoming. Many weekends there are several clubs to choose from. If you are around for the third Saturday, we'd love to have you join us at Pawnee Station.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate to shoot at the clubs that I frequent down here because everyone of them let me man the unload table because of severe scoliosis, numerous surgeries, 21 vertebrae fused and instrumented. Like Blackey says I'm going to shoot as long as I can. Assassin, I'm going to be up in your neck of the woods on the first weekend of October and was planning on shooting with your club on the first and with the Casper club on the second. If I'm not welcome let me know and I won't bring my gun cart, guns and cowboy clothes up.

Come on over and shoot with us Yul. Your welcome to work the ult, we actually have a few younger shooters that do most of the brass picking and target resetting. Unfortunately we don't shoot the first weekend, we shoot the third Saturday. However, Wildcat Ridge shoots the first Saturday it's not a SASS club, but they put on a great match. They are only 30 minutes from our range and the same shooters frequent both clubs. Send me a pm and we can hook you up if you need accommodations.

Looking forward to shooting with you.

Assassin 9836L

Come on over and shoot with us Yul. Your welcome to work the ult, we actually have a few younger shooters that do most of the brass picking and target resetting. Unfortunately we don't shoot the first weekend, we shoot the third Saturday. However, Wildcat Ridge shoots the first Saturday it's not a SASS club, but they put on a great match. They are only 30 minutes from our range and the same shooters frequent both clubs. Send me a pm and we can hook you up if you need accommodations.Looking forward to shooting with you.Assassin 9836L

Thank you, Assassin and Grizzly Dave. If everything works out I'll shoot bison on Friday and then be down for the match on Saturday. Can't wait!!!

I agree Dave, but when the pyramid becomes heavily inverted, the point bearing all the weight becomes worn out quickly. It's a hard sell everyone paying the same match fee and the same guys getting stuck walking to and fro all day. We have a term for those guys in 3-gun: match staff. They reset everything with a smile on their face, probably because they don't have a match fee...not trying to change the course of the creek, just talking about how the river runs...

I'm only a couple of years into the game, but still in my fourties and fortunate enough to be in good health. If I have to pick up more than my share of brass (rarely the case), or set up more targets (again rarely the case), well that's fine by me. I'm still quite a ways behind all those that came before me.

That's right Grizz, loading and unloading tables, scoring, spotting, helping with sign up duties, emailing members with news about an upcoming shoot, bringing donuts!!! :lol:

it figgers that yer concerned wit who's bringin' tha donuts.... :P:P

Them're the folks I like best... and the reason I can't bend over so good anymore!!!

I'm only a couple of years into the game, but still in my fourties and fortunate enough to be in good health. If I have to pick up more than my share of brass (rarely the case), or set up more targets (again rarely the case), well that's fine by me. I'm still quite a ways behind all those that came before me.

This is one of many shooting games I play. I do it to play with my single actions and to mix things up. Brass picking is the best job, but lost shells drive me nuts. I see too many misses to be a spotter and I talk too much to be a reliable target setter. I get bored at the unloading table because it's too slow paced, but it is fun to check out other competitors' guns.

This is one of many shooting games I play. I do it to play with my single actions and to mix things up. Brass picking is the best job, but lost shells drive me nuts. I see too many misses to be a spotter and I talk too much to be a reliable target setter. I get bored at the unloading table because it's too slow paced, but it is fun to check out other competitors' guns.

How many other shooting games you play is irrelevant. Posse chores don't carry over from other games, nor even other matches. That's like saying the guy at work next to me getting the same paycheck can do less work because he has a second job.

How many other shooting games you play is irrelevant. Posse chores don't carry over from other games, nor even other matches. That's like saying the guy at work next to me getting the same paycheck can do less work because he has a second job.

Actually I was just making light-hearted observations about the common posse chores I do. I see misses that others swear are hits even though the bullet clearly didn't hit so I'm a "bad" spotter...I also call misses on myself that get overruled😵. Don't understand that...

I don't mind resetting the shotgun targets, but sometimes get distracted by a good conversation and it's nice not to have to do all the walking every stage.

Brass picking is fun, but drives me nuts when I can't find a shell. The .38 guys don't care, but I really don't want to let the bigger calibers down.

It's good point that you make about everyone earning their keep each match though... I will certainly keep it in mind.

It seems that there are folks who prefer to pick up brass, some who prefer to count, some who prefer to run the timer, some who prefer to work the ULT, and some who prefer to sit in the

shade and do nothing but shoot.

I try to do something at every stage. My least favorite is picking up brass. Occasionally I'm the guy sitting in the shade, guzzling Gatorade or water. We should all do what we can. the MD and club officers cant do it all.

It seems that there are folks who prefer to pick up brass, some who prefer to count, some who prefer to run the timer, some who prefer to work the ULT, and some who prefer to sit in the

shade and do nothing but shoot.

I try to do something at every stage. My least favorite is picking up brass. Occasionally I'm the guy sitting in the shade, guzzling Gatorade or water. We should all do what we can. the MD and club officers cant do it all.

I have to admit that brass picking is my least favorite as well. I hate using the pickers, and often wear spurs so the squatting isn't always easy. I do like setting up targets because I like to get in at least a little free exercise. I often man the unloading table when I shoot cap guns so that I can be reloading and still doing some chores. I also like spotting because I get to see the sequence of targets and thus get a better idea of how to shoot it myself. As for those not pulling their share of the work, I have to say that I have only heard about this on the wire. I have never actually witnessed it in person. Sometimes I wonder if events described on the wire are similar to the internet big foot sightings.

Back to the OP, I usually get 80-90% of my brass back, but will lose a few of those due to my 44-40 or 38-40 cases getting stepped on. The thinner necks wrinkle easier than other brass.

I prefer to spot, mainly because I think I'm good at it. Probably because I'm stubborn but attentive and will only call what I see (or don't see) regardless of the calls by the others. I also like to get up and move around, and our posses are generally small so spotters usually do double duty as target setters or score keeper. The brass pickers rarely do spotting since they should be watching where the brass is going to spot those that take an odd bounce or get carried off on a hat.

I used to hate picking brass because I could never seem to find one or two of them and felt a bit self conscious about taking the shooter back a light load. Well; I've gotten over that :P. Recently; I have discovered that I've gotten better at finding all the brass AND it is the best job if you want to be able to watch everybody else's shooting and gun handling. Now I'm starting to recommend that new shooters take the job and watch the other shooters very carefully for techniques and styles they might find useful for themselves.

I have to admit that brass picking is my least favorite as well. I hate using the pickers, and often wear spurs so the squatting isn't always easy. I do like setting up targets because I like to get in at least a little free exercise. I often man the unloading table when I shoot cap guns so that I can be reloading and still doing some chores. I also like spotting because I get to see the sequence of targets and thus get a better idea of how to shoot it myself. As for those not pulling their share of the work, I have to say that I have only heard about this on the wire. I have never actually witnessed it in person. Sometimes I wonder if events described on the wire are similar to the internet big foot sightings.

Back to the OP, I usually get 80-90% of my brass back, but will lose a few of those due to my 44-40 or 38-40 cases getting stepped on. The thinner necks wrinkle easier than other brass.

We have a couple of C&B shooters and I've seen them loading their cylinders while they work the ULT. I can't help but question the idea of splitting your attention between two very important tasks. I do not mean this to be at all insulting. I just think it would be better for the C&Bers to focus on their loading first and then take up whatever posse chore is available. I have mentioned it to both the ones I shoot with regularly and they both just laughed at me so here's a few chuckles to get you started. :D:lol::D:lol:

We have a couple of C&B shooters and I've seen them loading their cylinders while they work the ULT. I can't help but question the idea of splitting your attention between two very important tasks. I do not mean this to be at all insulting. I just think it would be better for the C&Bers to focus on their loading first and then take up whatever posse chore is available. I have mentioned it to both the ones I shoot with regularly and they both just laughed at me so here's a few chuckles to get you started. :D:lol::D:lol:

I do know what you are saying, but I do not "split attention", as it were. What I do is load until someone comes up, then all loading is stopped and I clear the shooter. Then and only then do I resume loading. I also stop loading at a spot that is easy to keep straight. For example, if I have just added powder, wad, and seated the ball, and I notice that someone is almost finished with shooting or walking up to the ULT, I wait. I don't want to be between those above steps. It usually takes me about 3-4 shooters to clear until I am all loaded up. Another thing I do is have the right amount of balls and wads laid out before starting so that I can't get confused. And of course I give everything another check before leaving the table and again right before capping at the loading table. This method works for me and was shown to me by other much more experienced cap and ball shooters.

I am not aware of anyone in my area that 'prefers' to stand on their head to pick brass or use the pinchers.

I know numerous people that 'prefer' to be the 2nd/3rd/4th alternate for score keeping/ TOing or manning the ULT.

People will count and target setters are not a problem, until it get to stage 5 or 6 for the day.

Archived