SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special brass

Tom Bullweed

Seems like the .45 Cowboy Special is available again, but only as loaded ammo.

Has anyone had any good fortune with buying brass? If so, how?

How many reloaders have given up and invested in trimming .45 Colt brass? This might be a great use for .45 Colt brass as it begins to split.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're selling brass also.

Edit to add...2/12/16

Trimmed 8 cases down and chamferred cold with no setup or warmup in 2:47.98. That works out to one case every 21 seconds. This was with one difficulty. I feel it is an accurate representation of sustainable trim rate for those who are interested.

Many folks in another thread on this have complained about the pricing on the C45S but I don't have a problem with that. My problem with buying them from AC Ammo is they want a cashiers check or money order up front. I don't feel comfortable with that arrangement. If they had set themselves up to accept Paypal I would have already placed an order and been done with it. Maybe they'll offer that in the future.

I, like CG have just begun to trim my own. At his advice, I bought a Lyman trimmer with power adapter and it does make short work of trimming the brass. It remains to be seen how many I can do before the cutter head gets worn out.

Whether it's worth the investment to make your own will depend on your own personal situation. What tools and components do you already have vs. what you'll have to acquire. What is your time worth and how much of it do you want to invest in this.

I have never tried to trim a case with a split in it but I imagine the cutter will catch on it and bugger up. I don't expect those to be worth the extra trouble.

The long term advantage of doing your own is that you won't have to be concerned about the supply drying up again.

If you decide to trim your own, I have a couple of tips for you.

Putting a drop of thread cutting oil (tap magic) on the cutter every 3 cases and getting a feel for the optimum feed rate and pressure will make a very clean cut. The oil has to be cleaned off the finished case. I use a rotary tumbler with SS pins, that takes care of the oil and does a great job of removing the burrs on the case mouth. I still chamfer the inside afterward.

I found that the Remington (R-P) cases are a bit thicker when trimmed down this far and would get stuck on the expander die. I would not bother trimming those.

Good luck

I made about 20 using a small lathe and Lee trimming tools. Using split cases cases didn't work well but worked. I loaded and shot them and they worked just fine but some split.

I'll pay some extra to get ready made. If I have to make some, I'll start with new brass.

Most of my old stock 45 Colt brass tend to split down the length anyway.

I placed an order last week along with my money order. They have confirmed receiving my order. I will keep you all posted on how it works out.

CB

Well - I sent them a check for the advertised amount, including freight, along with a letter detailing my order. They sent my cases and I am a satisfied customer. It's wildcat brass made by a reputable manufacturer. Price is 75% more than standard brass of the same caliber, but 20 loadings makes case cost about a cent and a half. It's a one time expense to get some, and a no hassle deal to load/reload.

If there is a product you like, buy it. If you just want to complain, please don't try to dissuade others from using it. If the market gets too small, those of us who like and use it may find no one will make and market it.

CR

If there was any market for these AJ or Miss Chubby would still be in business. Look at the number of cases you would have to sell to

even pay for the smallest ad in the CC.

I'm not privy to any inside information but I think both cases the decision to sale the business was not due to lack of market.

Many folks in another thread on this have complained about the pricing on the C45S but I don't have a problem with that. My problem with buying them from AC Ammo is they want a cashiers check or money order up front. I don't feel comfortable with that arrangement. If they had set themselves up to accept Paypal I would have already placed an order and been done with it. Maybe they'll offer that in the future.

I, like CG have just begun to trim my own. At his advice, I bought a Lyman trimmer with power adapter and it does make short work of trimming the brass. It remains to be seen how many I can do before the cutter head gets worn out.

Whether it's worth the investment to make your own will depend on your own personal situation. What tools and components do you already have vs. what you'll have to acquire. What is your time worth and how much of it do you want to invest in this.

I have never tried to trim a case with a split in it but I imagine the cutter will catch on it and bugger up. I don't expect those to be worth the extra trouble.

The long term advantage of doing your own is that you won't have to be concerned about the supply drying up again.

If you decide to trim your own, I have a couple of tips for you.

Putting a drop of thread cutting oil (tap magic) on the cutter every 3 cases and getting a feel for the optimum feed rate and pressure will make a very clean cut. The oil has to be cleaned off the finished case. I use a rotary tumbler with SS pins, that takes care of the oil and does a great job of removing the burrs on the case mouth. I still chamfer the inside afterward.

I found that the Remington (R-P) cases are a bit thicker when trimmed down this far and would get stuck on the expander die. I would not bother trimming those.

Good luck

PayPal is getting less and less popular due to its anti gun politics and the fact that they are now demanding photo ID from folks where they used to not be. 1099...

I can trim split cases down and will gladly take them and any RP off your hands...😀

I believe I have also figured a way to sharpen the cutting head, so we're golden.

Well - I sent them a check for the advertised amount, including freight, along with a letter detailing my order. They sent my cases and I am a satisfied customer. It's wildcat brass made by a reputable manufacturer. Price is 75% more than standard brass of the same caliber, but 20 loadings makes case cost about a cent and a half. It's a one time expense to get some, and a no hassle deal to load/reload.

If there is a product you like, buy it. If you just want to complain, please don't try to dissuade others from using it. If the market gets too small, those of us who like and use it may find no one will make and market it.

CR

I'm a happy tinkerer and have highly enjoyed the process to get the brass made myself. If the market gets so small that you can't find any commercially anymore...I'll be glad to trim you some down for a reasonable trade. See there's a will and a way....either way it goes. Dissuade everyone from any kind of self sufficiency and we're all under the wagon wheels if/when the nonmarketable conclusion is made.

.....CG

A pard I shoot with makes his own. I talked to about any problems he might be having with the crimp or excessive block back, he expressed that he had no problems. I shot some his cut down 45's loaded with a 160 grain bullet. I was very surprised, not much more recoil than my 38's, cases came out of the pistol cleaner than my 45 loads.

PayPal is getting less and less popular due to its anti gun politics and the fact that they are now demanding photo ID from folks where they used to not be. 1099...

I can trim split cases down and will gladly take them and any RP off your hands...

I believe I have also figured a way to sharpen the cutting head, so we're golden.

I'm a happy tinkerer and have highly enjoyed the process to get the brass made myself. If the market gets so small that you can't find any commercially anymore...I'll be glad to trim you some down for a reasonable trade. See there's a will and a way....either way it goes. Dissuade everyone from any kind of self sufficiency and we're all under the wagon wheels if/when the nonmarketable conclusion is made.

.....CG

I take no issue with someone suggesting that there is a way to "roll your own" anything, and I'm sure your process delivers an acceptable solution for those with more time than money, or who just would rather be self sufficient. The thing I am against is knocking a product for general purposes. It's counter productive and serves no purpose other than sour grapes. Respectfully, I have tried the cut down .45 Colt cases and find that the .45 CS is a better product. Case thickness at the neck is uniform and does not interfere with normal loading.

CR

Respecfully, I feel there is a gentle struggle from both sides of the coin here with some less than optimal representations of effort involved to trim AND cost differential between .45CS and LC.

Trimming: (What I do)

I have only noticed any reloading difficulty with the midbody crimp brass that I have trimmed down. Greater effort than usual to get off the powder die for either a .45 ACP or or .45 LC.

I have noticed nothing about loading difficulty in any brand of brass without the midbody crimp(Win,RP, 3D, Top, Starline, Hornady,CBC). I have had no noticeable uniformity issues either. I use a VLD chamfer by Lyman for the inside and the external chamfer also by Lyman Maybe this is why?

At 21 seconds a finished case sustainable(less once I motorize the chamfers) and having a supply of used .45LC this works for me more when I have the option for a second lease on life from the original case. I'll not go into cost on new brass because I see no need to trim them without blasting a few Long Colts through them first. Everybody needs a little horsepower now and again!

BUYING:(An opportunity I have not yet participated in)

Starline to Starline cost comparison, I can see the point being made for not going through the process of trimming, especially if you do not have the same inclination, tooling or space to work.

I have found some loaded ammunition being carried by a shop some distance away. I intend to see what kind of price can be had on the ammunition and the quality thereof.

Starline isn't the only maker of .45LC brass and there are some that enjoy noticeable economy.

I guess it all comes down to how much joy I get from making my own cases. Since I think about how much fun I am going to have shooting with all my cowboy friends while I'm doing all the "work," it's time/money well spent.

I hope this all helps folks on the fence about the way they want to proceed without being terribly one-sided.

....CG

At 21 seconds a finished case sustainable(less once I motorize the chamfers)

Cool, another great use for the Pact timer. 21 sec/case is pretty good but if you put in some practice time on your chucking and shucking I bet you could get your times down below 20. It's all about the transitions.

I don't shoot 45s yet.I have been trimming some 45 cases to 45CS just because I can.It gives me something to try.I bought some 45CS from Miss Cubbie just to load some.It is a great round to load over the top in you 73 or 66 once you get used to grabbing the short little cases.It take me a lot longer than 21 seconds to do a case but I shoot slow also.

Cool, another great use for the Pact timer. 21 sec/case is pretty good but if you put in some practice time on your chucking and shucking I bet you could get your times down below 20. It's all about the transitions.

Haha...Cody you're a hoot! I was using the chronograph on my Eeelectronic wireless telegraph. Set the CED 7000 on par time and drive the trimmer hard!

Sustainable is the key. I had one slip in the chuck and that took a few seconds to fix. I figure that this happens every once in a while so I might as well include it in honest figuring of trim and chamfer time.

Respecfully, I feel there is a gentle struggle from both sides of the coin here with some less than optimal representations of effort involved to trim AND cost differential between .45CS and LC.

Trimming: (What I do)

I disagree, I don't think there is a gentle struggle here, I think there are some folks who just can't stand seeing others doing something that they disagree with and will keep hammering away at them until they give in and start doing things their way! This topic has been beat to death over and over and over and it's always the same people trying to convince the others that they have the right solution and everyone else is wrong.

There really doesn't have to be a two sided coin as if there is a right and wrong way or an efficient versus inefficient way of doing something. As some have stated or implied "money is no object with me..." GOOD for you, why not just buy loaded ammo and save yourself the aggravation and time wasted on reloading as well instead of trying to convince others that you have the correct solution?

I watched Warden Callaway's video and one thing the video does not show is the big ole grin that is likely on his face as he is running his lathe, enjoying every minute of his day. I'll wager he could care less about how long it takes him to trim his brass and when the day is done and he has trimmed and loaded his brass he is just as pleased with his results as anyone else.

One lesson it took me 65 years to learn is......... Everything in life DOES NOT always come down to time and money, pleasure is often more valuable than either!

Wanted to update everyone on my C45S order. Arrived today 8 days after they received my money order. Nice brass which I believe I will get a lot of use of. As an aside, I have no problem at all with anyone wanting to trim their own. I am impressed that you are set up for it and can do it. I think those who wish to purchase C45S brass felt as they were be criticized for throwing money away and I believe that is very unfair. We all have to set our priorities for our time and others do not know what priorities and responsibilities are in my life which make purchasing the brass the best decision for me. My doing so is not in any way a criticism or disagreement with those who make their own. I sincerely think it is great that you can and that you enjoy doing it.

CB

Wanted to update everyone on my C45S order. Arrived today 8 days after they received my money order. Nice brass which I believe I will get a lot of use of. As an aside, I have no problem at all with anyone wanting to trim their own. I am impressed that you are set up for it and can do it. I think those who wish to purchase C45S brass felt as they were be criticized for throwing money away and I believe that is very unfair. We all have to set our priorities for our time and others do not know what priorities and responsibilities are in my life which make purchasing the brass the best decision for me. My doing so is not in any way a criticism or disagreement with those who make their own. I sincerely think it is great that you can and that you enjoy doing it.

CB

Nicely put CB,

You're correct in that it does come down to priorities in a way and you have a keen eye in that you noticed some were rallying around the "trimmers". Being a trimmer myself, I don't particularly care to see fellow reloaders being referred to as having more time than money or even more time than sense.

Anyone who can afford spending thousands of dollars on guns and thousands of dollars on reloading equipment, thousands on cowboy related goodies and travel around every weekend or so just to shoot bullets at targets having a good time surely has the means to support his or her hobby or sport whichever you choose to call it.

My routine is having breakfast with my sweetie, walking my pup then going downstairs and spending the entire day, usually every day of the week either playing in my shop or reloading then going out with a buddy or two and shooting what I loaded. I have no idea what my time is worth anymore and could care less!

Nicely put CB,

You're correct in that it does come down to priorities in a way and you have a keen eye in that you noticed some were rallying around the "trimmers". Being a trimmer myself, I don't particularly care to see fellow reloaders being referred to as having more time than money or even more time than sense.

Anyone who can afford spending thousands of dollars on guns and thousands of dollars on reloading equipment, thousands on cowboy related goodies and travel around every weekend or so just to shoot bullets at targets having a good time surely has the means to support his or her hobby or sport whichever you choose to call it.

My routine is having breakfast with my sweetie, walking my pup then going downstairs and spending the entire day, usually every day of the week either playing in my shop or reloading then going out with a buddy or two and shooting what I loaded. I have no idea what my time is worth anymore and could care less!

Just to set the record straight, please re-read my post. I do understand that there are times a person would rather do something for the satisfaction of it rather that just buy something ready made. I am a tinkerer and love the satisfaction of building or repairing something. Many folks are capable of creating a better product than what may be commercially available. The OP asked for both sides of the coin. Seems he got it. I just feel the same as you about passing judgement on a person's inclination to do a thing a certain way.

CR

If there was any market for these AJ or Miss Chubby would still be in business. Look at the number of cases you would have to sell to

even pay for the smallest ad in the CC.

Spoke with AJ today and we got around to this topic,his first case were made the way your clip shows to prove the theory.

He shopped for a brass producer to produce the case with the interior taper of 45 acp so a bullet up to 300 grains could be seated with out squeezing the base smaller,the producer chosen was Starline.

The reason he sold the rights to his brass was life got in the way and he was forced to move to Fl. and didn't have the facilities to process the orders as he once had,he also has some medical issues that precluded it.

Why the couple he sold to had problems is anyones guess but the first thing that comes to mind are the availability to procure the brass but who knows. He mentioned that he still had aprox 5000 pieces from his last order with Starline somewhere abouts.

Someone who wanted to could do the same as he did and contact a different manufacture,spend the money on dies drawing punches headstamp dies ,of course the name would have to be changed and they to could be in the brass business. AJ sold something over 2 and 1/2 million pieces of brass from 06 until he sold his rights to it. Adios Sgt.Jake

Thanks for that info SGT.

I thought that was the circumstances when AJ sold the C45S 'name' to Ms Cubbie.

And if I may say so, she directly related to me the reason for her selling the C45S 'name' was due to a couple factors and neither was because of slow or 'non-sales'.

I will say this much: when a business buys into another business and becomes the new owner, you can rest assured that some research was initiated to check out if the new owner is making a wise investment or not. I'm sure Ms Cubbie and the present owners checked out all the particulars before they invested their $$$ and felt very good about it being a good business move.

If I had the $$$, I would have bought it from AJ.

I don't think the C45S cartridge is gonna disappear from the Cowboy scene and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to gain some momentum the next couple years in the non-Cowboy shooting world.

It is a great cartridge and the Starline brass is good stuff.

But from the 45 Colt brass I have seen that was trimmed down to C45S size, a slight bulge was noticeable in the brass where the bullet was seated, due to the brass thickness in the neck area of trimmed .45 Colt brass.

It still worked good, but the bulge was still noticeable.

As with most things.......... mileage varies.

Oh Yea..... Happy Valentines to all the lovely ladies..... :wub:

..........Widder

Respectfully, why would a cartridge designed for a game with a 60 PF ever be loaded with a 300 gr bullet? With minimum velocity of 400 fps, the 150 and 160gr bullets are more resource efficient and lighter recoiling. If not seeking efficiency, why use the shorter case? Am I missing something here?

Respectfully, why would a cartridge designed for a game with a 60 PF ever be loaded with a 300 gr bullet? With minimum velocity of 400 fps, the 150 and 160gr bullets are more resource efficient and lighter recoiling. If not seeking efficiency, why use the shorter case? Am I missing something here?

That was what I was wondering also. Wasn't the purpose of Cowboy CS to lighten recoil on the bigger caliber?

Thanks for that info SGT.

I thought that was the circumstances when AJ sold the C45S 'name' to Ms Cubbie.

And if I may say so, she directly related to me the reason for her selling the C45S 'name' was due to a couple factors and neither was because of slow or 'non-sales'.

I will say this much: when a business buys into another business and becomes the new owner, you can rest assured that some research was initiated to check out if the new owner is making a wise investment or not. I'm sure Ms Cubbie and the present owners checked out all the particulars before they invested their $$$ and felt very good about it being a good business move.

If I had the $$$, I would have bought it from AJ.

I don't think the C45S cartridge is gonna disappear from the Cowboy scene and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to gain some momentum the next couple years in the non-Cowboy shooting world.

It is a great cartridge and the Starline brass is good stuff.

But from the 45 Colt brass I have seen that was trimmed down to C45S size, a slight bulge was noticeable in the brass where the bullet was seated, due to the brass thickness in the neck area of trimmed .45 Colt brass.

It still worked good, but the bulge was still noticeable.

As with most things.......... mileage varies.

Oh Yea..... Happy Valentines to all the lovely ladies..... :wub:

..........Widder

Howdy Widder

If a business can't get product or in a timely manner it makes for a tough situation as you know.

We both have a idea of those factors that AJ dealt with,then on top of increased demand a historical confluence of events occurred to make steady supply even tougher for any seller of brass or ammunition. Adios Sgt.Jake

You have to know AJ for the answer to that one,he didn't design it for that but rather to prove that proper mouth/neck thickness and taper would even allow such a thing rather than tapering bullet base or bulging case.

No AJ went the other way with his Barnstormer bullet around 125 grains. Adios Sgt.Jake

Its a good question and I'll try to answer from my personal perspective.

When the creation of something new (such as with the C45S brass) is being experimented, the Creator (by nature of their creating personality) tries to test the extremes of the his creation. So if .45 Cal bullets are available in 160 grain and 300 grains, its only natural to test those variances ........ and then share the results to prospective users of the new creation.

When I built my first Widdermatic for .45 Colt, I challenged myself to build one in C45S. When I successfully achieved my goal with the C45S in the Marlin, I shared the news to AJ. I shared with AJ that it was now possible for a person to own a Marlin and shoot .45 Colt and C45S ammo just by changing out the carrier AND the rifle did not need the short stroke modification previously known.

Then AJ stated that it would sure be nice if I could make one run the C45S AND .45 Colt interchangeably. I told him I could do it and if he would give me a couple days, I could have it done.

I created a timing curve in the timing of the Marlin 1894, which allowed the rifle to function reliably with both C45S and 45 Colt ammo interchangeably. I named it the 'Widdermajik'.

As far as using it in a Cowboy match with BOTH types of ammo, its basically useless. BUT WHY did I do it?...... just to show it could be done. No more and no less.

I've only built about 4 or 5 of them for friends during the last 3 years and really prefer not to do them cause its a little tedious. But, as the 'Creator' of that modification, I wanted to show folks that the Overall Length sensitivities of the Marlin 1894 could be very generous and that the C45S cartridge could be very useful in the Marlin without it having to be a short stroked modification.

..........Widder

Widder nailed it,that's exactly why AJ loaded some with a 300 grain bullet to prove it would work through a full range of bullet weights.

He was also told by a top CAS gun smith who we both respected,that in order for a carrier to work for the Uberti lever rifles the cartridge stop spring had to be a flat leaf spring,so AJ reinvented the dog leg that was once communally used in the automobile bumper jack two pins and a music wire spring.

AJ has a saying Don't tell me it can't be done we put a man on the moon !

Adios Sgt. Jake

Trimmed about 80 cases and loaded them in less than 2 hours. Small abrasive-blade chop saw and a jig to trim to about 0.950", then a Lyman bench-style hand powered case trimmer for the finish length, chamfer neck inside and out. Used 0.429 pilot rather than 0.452 due to the scarf on inside wall from the chop saw. Remington cases worked exceedingly easy and quickly, as Remington's case drawing leaves the cases softer than most other brands. Federal and Starline pretty good; Winchester slow to trim and often had too small a relief cut above the rim to allow the Lyman universal case holder to keep a firm grip on the case. A couple of Hornady's in the batch I gave up on because of almost no relief cut to be grabbed in the trimmer. Several cases in the batch had minor splits at mouth, and finished up fine.

Finished ammo loaded with a 175 grain TC bullet has no noticeable bump at base of slug and all rounds chambered and fired fine.

Next task - replace the hand crank on the trimmer with the drill motor driven cutter.

Good luck, GJ

Similar to what I've been going for about 5 yrs now except I have a holding jig & rough trim with a fine tooth hacksaw. Not as fast as yours ......

I bought a .452 reamer and reamed the inside of the starline brass.

With MagTech i didn't need to do that.

Tedious maybe but I've made about 200 MagTech and 300 Starline some 5 years ago and I still use them.

My sizer is reamed to .472 so my brass is not worked hard.

The cowboy special isn't available overhere (yet) and the choice was to toss 45 colt trimmed to short or turn them in 45CS.....

Archived