SASS Wire Forum

question about the movie "the Big Country"

Trigger Mike

I really like that movie and watch it when it comes on and bought the DVD as well. He did better with the girl he ended up with. He buys her ranch and then at the end falls in love with her and likely will marry her. Since already bought the ranch from her, once they marry will she give him his money back?

:P

Of course, the question I have is what happened to the ranches that belonged to the two adversaries? The major's daughter undoubtedly inherited his spread. Whether the major's segundo married her is open to question. OTOH, Ol' Burl Ives (can't recall the character's name) had killed his own son, and I don't remember if he had another. If I was a betting man, I'd guess Gregory Peck and his wife wound up with a greater portion of the whole territory! His girl/wife was one to ride the river with! Far beyond that little blond snip! Great movie! Great music! I recollect that one of the radio stations in Great Falls, MT, used the theme as either bumper music or for an ad, back in the late '60's.

I wish they'd had the shootout scene the way it was in the book.

In the movie, Burl Ives shoots Chuck Conners, and then goes and cries over his body - "Why did you make me do that?"

In the book, Chuck's character shoots early, and misses. Greg's character is about to shoot off to the side (we both fired - honor is satisfied), when Chuck grabs his six-gun, that he had hid under his shirt. Greg quickly shoots in self defense, and it says that the sound of the shot seemed louder than normal.

Chuck's dead on the ground, and Greg turns to Burl's character and says, "I'm sorry. I did not shoot to kill". Burl says, "I did", and there's smoke coming out of the muzzle of his rifle.

MUCH better ending.

Rufus Hannassey, one of my all time favorite characters! Burl Ives got an Oscar for that performance. Jerome Moross was nominated and should have won for the music.

Archived