SASS Wire Forum

People noticing your gun - depend on where you are? what type gun?

Alpo

Novel I'm reading.

English author. English hero. He carries a Luger.

He has followed he bad guys to Jackson Wyoming. Comment is made that "Wyoming is cowboy country. Nobody notices a gun. I bought a heavy, black, hand-tooled leather belt and the clerk paid absolutely no attention when I made sure that a 'small of the back' holster I sometimes use would thread onto it".

But would it really have been ignored? It was a LUGER.

Back when they first brought out the Thunderer, there was a write-up in some gun rag. The author mention that he was openly carrying it, but, as he was in Arizona, and wearing jeans, boots and a big hat, no one noticed. "Cowboy carrying a gun - so what?"

But the Thunderer is a cowboy-looking gun. Would no one notice if he had been wearing a P-38? or a Luger? or a Gold-Ti tiger striped Desert Eagle?

magnum_research_DE_current2008_tiger_str

So, y'all reckon the TYPE of gun you tote, and the location you are toting it in, might have something to do with being noticed?

Some years back, there was a discussion on open carry after TEOTWAWKI. I made the comment that, if I looked out my front window, and saw a man walking down the street, wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, wearing a Model 10 on his hip and carrying a 94 Winchester in his hand, I'd WATCH HIM, but take no action. Looks to be going about his business, and taking normal precautions.

But if I saw a guy in full camo, wearing a kevlar helmet and body armor, with some uber-kewl bottom-feeder in a drop-leg holster, and a tricked-out Evil Black Rifle, dodging from tree to tree, I'd pop him on General Principles. "He looks like he's up to no good."

:D

Yeah, the trick is to hide in plain sight; stupid people got no reason to live.

This book hero character is foolish to be carrying an archaic, noticeable weapon, such as a Luger. No one familiar or unfamiliar with firearms would forget his Luger, him, or what he was doing. The author diminishes his own work by including such comic book nonsense. Plus, if the book does not give a plausible explanation for how he brought his weapon into the US, then perhaps you might watch reruns of Gilligan's Island, instead. :-)

But if I saw a guy in full camo, wearing a kevlar helmet and body armor, with some uber-kewl bottom-feeder in a drop-leg holster, and a tricked-out Evil Black Rifle, dodging from tree to tree, I'd pop him on General Principles. "He looks like he's up to no good."

:D

Oops. You just shot a SWAT team guy heading to your neighbor's meth lab. Better get a lawyer. ;)

You perhaps missed seeing TEOTWAWKI?

The End Of The World As We Know It.

Otherwise known as smilieshtfnew_zps51a34980.gif

I don't believe SWAT will still be around.

"........a Gold-Ti tiger striped Desert Eagle?"

Alpo, someone's gotta say it, but I won't...............I won't..................the Hell I won't!! That is one butt-ugly gun!

Experienced gun people .. like us here .. are proud of our shootin' irons. We got just the ones we want, and we know they are beautiful. It disappoints me when no one notices. Years ago I got a 125th anniversary Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. It was made in the Custom Gun Shop and was in every way like a late first generation. You know, rounded cylinder, CH hammer, pinched site, cylinder bushing ... everything. No one asked about it. I had it in plain site on a loading table .. but .. no. Finally someone said, "What is that your shooting?" My low key answer was, "It's a copy of a Uberti made in the Colt Custom Gun Shop." He seemed happy, "Nice." "Thanks."

Show up at a sporting clays range with a Win 1897 and bust 80% or better and you will get some novices asking about your hammered pump gun and some experienced shooters asking about your oldie but goldie.

Experienced gun people .. like us here .. are proud of our shootin' irons. We got just the ones we want, and we know they are beautiful. It disappoints me when no one notices. Years ago I got a 125th anniversary Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. It was made in the Custom Gun Shop and was in every way like a late first generation. You know, rounded cylinder, CH hammer, pinched site, cylinder bushing ... everything. No one asked about it. I had it in plain site on a loading table .. but .. no. Finally someone said, "What is that your shooting?" My low key answer was, "It's a copy of a Uberti made in the Colt Custom Gun Shop." He seemed happy, "Nice." "Thanks."

Oh the humanity I tell you! I had a guy at the unloading table take a look at my nickel colt and asked me why my ruger was so much shinier than his. I was waiting for him to ask me what that funny looking pointy thing on my hammer was, but I guess he didn't see it.

Oh the humanity I tell you! I had a guy at the unloading table take a look at my nickel colt and asked me why my ruger was so much shinier than his. I was waiting for him to ask me what that funny looking pointy thing on my hammer was, but I guess he didn't see it.

Lots of folks in SASS these days with limited knowledge of firearms. They're only interested in CAS rather than being firearms enthusiasts like many of us. Tha's okay. Better than being Antis.

Wyoming is an open carry state. It's also a concealed carry state, no permit required. Most folks don't even pay attention when they see someone packing. Just another day in the cowboy state. I had my Blackhawk holstered, on my side, and spoke with our former governor for about twenty minutes while shopping at Home Depot. He didn't mention it, and really did not care.

Montana's an open carry state too. Concealed with a permit though. Most people know we're an open carry state, but quite a few still don't or get nervous when someone does. We had a citizen last year that was carrying his 94 downtown with it slung over his shoulder. Several people called the police on him. When the cops arrived they asked him why. He just said because it's legal and I can. They couldn't argue about it with him since he was right and in the right to do so. But they did suggest he didn't because it was upsetting to quite a few of the public that doesn't know it's legal. He just told them they'd be smart to find out the laws first before calling in.

They let him go about his business after that chat.

I flip-flop back and forth between concealed and open carry depending on the weather and my level of dress. On a hot day, I'll sometimes not throw on an overshirt, (I wear T-shirts most of the summer) and just step out of the truck with my sidearm on my hip. If I'm going into a place with a lot of people, I'll wear a sleeveless undershirt and along sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the shirt tail out to camouflage my weapon.

I don't really concentrate on concealing and the only questions I've been asked by civilians are what kind is it or is it heavy. I've never been asked by law enforcement to show my permit. I've never had an anti get in my face or seen anyone abandon their shopping cart in the grocery because my gun is hanging openly on my hip.

One of the local grocery stores was robbed the other day and when I did my shopping there a few days later, the cashier said she wished I or someone like me had been there when the incident occurred!

I'm beginning to think that IF you act like nothing is any different about going heeled, folks hardly notice and don't really care! I'm still waiting to be accosted by some self important anti who wants to take me to task for my decision to protect myself and my family.

Not really. I'm not a confrontational person.

When I see someone OC'ing, I just kind of take note of it and look to see what they are carrying and what holster they are using.

The fact that they are carrying isn't an issue, I just want to know the what and how.

Like I flip back and forth depending on dress but I prefer concealed when possible (Oklahoma is conceal/open with permit)

When I open carry I realize I take the risk of being the first target, should an active shooter scenario occur so I choose my occasions carefully.

People that know both the wife and I know we are never without a firearm. EVER. It's not a big deal. Just a part of who we are.

I buy holsters like some women buy shoes.

Concealed always just seems easier to me. Out of sight, out of mind to everyone. No hassles. No worries. Only I know.

Archived