SASS Wire Forum

Glue or Cement to Bond Brass to Stainless Steel ?

Clemsum

I have SS Vaqueros and have been painting the front sight face I see when shooting Gold but it gets dull quickly. I have been thinking of adding a Brass Strip to the sight and have gotten as far as cutting the material but have been having a problem finding a glue that will bond quickly.

Any suggestions??

Clemsum

If you can solder, solder would put it on to stay.

The Locktite adhesive line of epoxies will work, as will JB-Weld epoxy. In Locktite line, Epoxy Weld™ Bonding Compound

Brownells and customers are real impressed with the Loctite Black Max super glue. So much so, that their stock is back-ordered. Supposed to be real quick and excellent for small metal sight part attachment.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/thread-locking-liquids/black-max-adhesive-prod6139.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=LOCTITE

Might find it at Midway or bigger auto parts stores (NAPA, for example).

Good luck, GJ

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SureHitSights.html

Am sure your strip with work good.

But the above seems to hold better.

Has bigger area for the glue to adhere.

Even comes with the glue.

You might check them out.

If you can solder, solder would put it on to stay.

Good luck, GJ

Lead solder will not bond to steel.

Silver solder requires much higher temp that may well damage the Ruger solder used to hold the front sight in place.

OLG

Silver solder requires much higher temp that may well damage the Ruger solder used to hold the front sight in place.

OLG

Awful lot of old hot rods running around with leaded body work. Needs a lot of tin, but still used by some today.

Awful lot of old hot rods running around with leaded body work. Needs a lot of tin, but still used by some today.

You are 110% correct about that. That is how I learned to do body work.

Body metal is not the high chrome content that most gun barrels are. Most body metal has a high tin content that is required for the forming/stamping process.

OLG

Brownells has sold (and I have applied) a fair amount of HiForce 44 soft solder to steel, including stainless.

Yes, it can be made to work with the right technique and right flux to clean the steel. How else do double barreled shotguns get made from a monoblock, two tubes and two ribs, all of steel? :o:lol:

Good luck, GJ

How else do double barreled shotguns get made from a monoblock, two tubes and two ribs, all of steel? :o :lol:

Good luck, GJ

By the skillz of master craftsman along with the jigs & tooling needed to do the job- ;)

OLG

Thanks to everyone for the replies !

I think I will be checking the Loctite Gel.

I tried JB Weld but could not keep the parts clamped together long enough for it to set up properly.

I have looked at the front sight covers from Slick but my front sight almost fills up the rear site as it is and I don't want to try to open the rear sight. I am planning to order one of his sights for the Rifle.

Mostly I like to make things work myself.

Thanks again for the replies.

Clemsum

OLG

Brownells has sold (and I have applied) a fair amount of HiForce 44 soft solder to steel, including stainless.

Yes, it can be made to work with the right technique and right flux to clean the steel. How else do double barreled shotguns get made from a monoblock, two tubes and two ribs, all of steel? :o:lol:

Good luck, GJ

+1

Works great on stainless or blued. I use it all the time to replace sights that get lost on SAA and Vaq's. It will actually take cold blue (not needed for SS) and you won't scale/burn the bore at the low temp needed.

Just searched the Loctite site and no mention of black max at all. Even the search doesn't recognise it?

Just searched the Loctite site and no mention of black max at all. Even the search doesn't recognize it?

AKA Loctite 380 Instant Adhesive

It's a specialty product - not enough sales to justify putting on the web site, I suppose. Just go to the Brownells site I posted earlier in this thread and you can find out about it.

Here's the URL again. http://www.brownells...turer_1=LOCTITE

Or Amazon's listing: http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-135423-Toughened-Instant-Adhesive/dp/B000132VEE

And here's the product page from Henkel North America (owns Loctite):

http://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797890609153

Good luck, GJ

I don't under stand why you are having a problem with JB WELD, that stuff has never failed to work on any project that I chose to use it on. Small clamps meant for model making, rubber bands, plastic tie strips, pressure clamps are just a few things that would work to hold a brass strip on the front sight. You may want to file the stock site down to a height that gives you a flat surface to work with.

As has been posted, you may want to look at Slick McCade's new sights that are sold at several outlets. Check out his sight, he is a great person to work with. Later Fairshake

The mix has to be perfect, then it will hold just about anything and last. I have some that is over 3 years in use and has not failed. When poorly mixed, I did have trouble. And, you can file it to shape and color it as desired.

Archived