SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli Lightning info please

shotguntom

I recently bought a Pedersoli Lightning Carbine in 45 Colt. The rifle has functioned perfectly so far. Have put appx 500 rounds thru it.

Im wondering where this action ranks as far as strength? I mean compared to my toggle link 73 and 66.

Also how does it compare strength wise to my 92 short rifle action?

Im asking because I want to load a little hotter than cowboy velocities, to help eliminate blow back from the 45 colt cartridge.

TJ

Using 200 gr rnfp Have several thousand of them to use still. Present load is 7.3 grs Win 231 Starline cases Win Large pistol primers and 200 gr rnfp meister bullets. They do have some punch to them in my 92 short rifle. Wasnt certain if the Lightning was a strong enough action, that's why I asked here. I know I'll get solid advice all the time.

I have 1000 250 gr rnfp bullets en route from Missouri bullet company. Should get them this week. Will work up some loads with them for the rifle too.

Thanks guys

You might want to edit out how many grains of 231 you are using. Posting load data is not allowed on the Wire.

Oops. I forgot.. Too late to edit the post now.

• 4 weeks later...

I love my Pedersoli Lightning (.45LC) and have run probably 1500 rounds through it without a hitch (except for one I caused myself). It's a very well made rifle and I feel it is a step above the Uberti Lightning, and a whole flight of stairs above the Taurus.

Also I have have prepared a compete 14 pg teardown/reassemble document (PDF) for the Petersoli Lightning that I'm happy to share n/c - just PM me.

…R

The amount of blowback - if any - also has a lot to do with bolt design and how tightly the action squeezes the shell's rim between the bolt and breech when the bolt is fully forward. It is especially a problem on .45LC with such a small rim. …R

I am running an AWA Lightning in .45 Colt.

I run a 200 grain bullet with a minimum published load of Trailboss. The outside of my cases do get a little dirty, but I notice no blowback on my face. I use a hodgepodge of Winchester, Remington, Starline and other miscellaneous brass.

I'd seen many negative posts around the web about Lightning replicas being subject to frequent problems, too difficult to work with, jams, etc.. Has Pedersoli solved these issues to make it a good SASS choice?

IMHO, once you get the hang of cycling a Pedersoli Lightning they are virtually trouble free. You need to keep them clean and they will perform very well.

Totally agree with Yul Lose. Pedersoli is a very fine maker and the action of their Lightning, which is a little different from other versions, is very well conceived. Another feature of the feeding system on a Lightning is that it is not case-length dependent. And, if you have to pick up a round, you can virtually drop it in front of the bolt, close the action, and shoot. I believe Pedersoli's version of the Lightning is a highly suitable rifle for CAS… R

+1

The only point of disagreement is that after two years, I still haven't cleaned mine (I use Clays). It top loads easier than a 97, and is great for 11-shot rifle stages.

I believe the 92 is a bit stronger than a slide action evidenced by the fact they are made in 44 magnum..

Fillmore

...Another feature of the feeding system on a Lightning is that it is not case-length dependent… R

This comment got me to thinking today. My Marlin model 20a rattles through 22 bb caps, shorts, longs and long rifles.

So I went off to the bench and cut back some old .45Colt brass down to Cowboy 45 Special length. I then made some dummy rounds using 160gr RNFP out of them. I loaded the dummy rounds into my Lightning and she rattled through them without a hitch. This is probably something I won't do with actual live Cowboy 45 Special rounds as I would not want to create a build up ring in the chamber of my Lightning that could cause me issues in cycling through standard .45Colt rounds. It was just kind of a neat discovery to see that she'd do it if she had to.

I shot 8 stages today using Pedersoli Lightnings. I had my old standby and then I tried out the slam firing one that I bought on the wire. It is scary fast. I need a lot of range time with it before I use it in a match again. It performed as advertised but I'm not used to the slam fire option. It will be fun learning. I shot ten rounds after the last stage to see what it would do and a top shooter that watched me said that he could have a lot of fun with that rifle.

Buck Bisley - yes, this is a very cool design feature of the Lightning. As soon as the bolt moves back about 3/8", there is a "cartridge retaining/release lever" that pops up against the cartridge being pushed out of the magazine and it stops the next cartridge. So, a cartridge too long is bad, but anything under the specified OAL for .45LC works just fine. ..RR

PS: I have known of two cases where the second cartridge got past the retaining/release lever and got lodged under the elevator causing a jam. Should this happen, the easiest fix is to file a notch in the pin that goes through the lower frame and acts as a stop for the retaining/release lever, to allow the retaining/release lever to come up .020" or .030" higher.

Buck Bisley - yes, this is a very cool design feature of the Lightning. As soon as the bolt moves back about 3/8", there is a "cartridge retaining/release lever" that pops up against the cartridge being pushed out of the magazine and it stops the next cartridge. So, a cartridge too long is bad, but anything under the specified OAL for .45LC works just fine. ..RR

PS: I have known of two cases where the second cartridge got past the retaining/release lever and got lodged under the elevator causing a jam. Should this happen, the easiest fix is to file a notch in the pin that goes through the lower frame and acts as a stop for the retaining/release lever, to allow the retaining/release lever to come up .020" or .030" higher.

I filed the shoulder a little deeper on the cartridge stop lever and it cured the problem, haven't had it happen on any that I have done that way. About 1/16" will do it.

• 8 months later...

been shooting cowboy for 6 yrs now, mostly use 73s, but after reading many posts on the Pedersoli Lightning i went to Cabelas and bought a new 45LC Lightning. It was really smooth out of the box and after shooting over 300 rounds thru it no glitches. There is the usual blow back but using 200gr bullets, W231 and a heavy crimp no blow back. I live on a farm so can walk out my door and shoot without problems. This morning i took the Lightning outside in the sleet and started shooting some practice rounds when on the second go round, while shooting, the magazine tube shot about 5' in front of me. Turns out when the factory put the dovetail slot in the bottom of the barrel to attach the magazine tube they overtightened the set screw and stretched the dovetail slot. Talked to Cabelas and they say, since it is a new gun it is between me and Pedersoli, they only warrant used guns. Other than filling in the old slot and re-cutting the dovetail does anybody have any ideas. Remember the male dovetail has the fitting for the magazine tube cap attached so i need to re-use the male piece.

been shooting cowboy for 6 yrs now, mostly use 73s, but after reading many posts on the Pedersoli Lightning i went to Cabelas and bought a new 45LC Lightning. It was really smooth out of the box and after shooting over 300 rounds thru it no glitches. There is the usual blow back but using 200gr bullets, W231 and a heavy crimp no blow back. I live on a farm so can walk out my door and shoot without problems. This morning i took the Lightning outside in the sleet and started shooting some practice rounds when on the second go round, while shooting, the magazine tube shot about 5' in front of me. Turns out when the factory put the dovetail slot in the bottom of the barrel to attach the magazine tube they overtightened the set screw and stretched the dovetail slot. Talked to Cabelas and they say, since it is a new gun it is between me and Pedersoli, they only warrant used guns. Other than filling in the old slot and re-cutting the dovetail does anybody have any ideas. Remember the male dovetail has the fitting for the magazine tube cap attached so i need to re-use the male piece.

You could try to peen the top of the dovetail down to tighten the fit. A few taps with a brass hammer should do it.

I have the Pedersoli Lightning in the short rifle configuration and noted that the screw that holds the mag tube in place will loosen up during a match.

I've gotten into the habit of checking it and the ejector bolt guide screws throughout a match.

If the ejector bolt guide screws loosen, then it will cause the bullet to stovepipe.

Discovered that the hard way; but glad I saw the screw was loose before it fell out of the action and was lost.

Slim Chance Pistolero

The last time I checked Lee Shaver was doing the warranty work on Pedersoli lightnings, He's a very experienced gunsmith and doe's excellent work he should be able to fix your rifle.

I have a Pedersoli lightning in 44/40 and a AWA in 44/40 that was worked over by Elrod both work great but I think the Pedersoli is the better rifle. If I get the chance I'd buy another Pedersoli.

Willy B'

The only way I've found to stop blow back with the 45LC in a Lightning is to use reformed 44-40 brass. It is thinner and seals the chamber better. But even that won't stop it completely. Heck, even Cold didn't chamber these rifles for the 45 Colt.

I have one and since I dodn't want to wear a welders mask to shoot it, I rebarreled it to 38-40..............More better!

I shot 8 stages today using Pedersoli Lightnings. I had my old standby and then I tried out the slam firing one that I bought on the wire. It is scary fast. I need a lot of range time with it before I use it in a match again. It performed as advertised but I'm not used to the slam fire option. It will be fun learning. I shot ten rounds after the last stage to see what it would do and a top shooter that watched me said that he could have a lot of fun with that rifle.

One of the problems with going fast with a Lightning is you are moving the hand that would normally keep a lever actioned rifle steady. Yes, they are fast. But if targets are small and relatively far, the misses add up. I've got two Lightnings. A vintage Colt that runs beautifully and a rebarreled AWA that runs good, but not as good as that well worn Colt. Both in 38-40. I've practiced lots with them. Still much faster and more accurate with my 1866.

I have not suffered from blowback using 255gr lead and minimum load of Herco in my Taurus Thunderbolt or my Winchester 94. I'm not full-length resizing my brass, just sizing as far back as the bullet goes into the cartridge. Taurus supposedly fixed the problems with the last batch they made but the reputation earned by earlier models made them poor sellers so they dropped the line.

Using a 250 grain bullet and making it hot for cowboy is punishing the gun.

To remove blowback, do not crimp in the crimp groove but crimp on the flat parallel in front of the groove using a tight crimp. If you slide your thumb nail down into the edge of the case and get stopped its too loose, measure and tighten til nail slides down smooth.

The AWA lightining can handle any hot pistol caliber so can the Pederselli .

i did try the "peen the top of the dovetail down to tighten the fit" approach and that did not work .. i went thru the Pedersoli website and contacted customer service ... their reply put me in touch with Mr Shaver ... both have assured me they will come up with an over sized lug ... Shaver has told me he has come up with another gun like mine that had a shallow dovetail cut and by re-cutting the dovetail he had corrected the problem of the magazine tube coming off ... the gun is being shipped to Mr Shaver thru Cabelas ... thanxs for all the replys ... when i get the gun back i will keep ya all informed

my wife, Annie Dote, shoots a 73 that is 45 ... her bullets, 200gr with unique and a factory crimp die, cause the Lightning to give lots of blow back ... i culled the CBC and Winchester cases out of her bullets and reload them with a light load of W231 and a heavy factory crimp die crimp, as described by SlicLee ... that has eliminated the blow back ... i have read ALL the post on the wire about the Lightnings and have gotten good tips .. the issue of "If the ejector bolt guide screws loosen, then it will cause the bullet to stovepipe" is a new issue ... on a side note, a friend that does not shoot cowboy, he shoots cannons, has a Tarus Lightning in 45 that has a "dust cover" on the bolt, with my wife's loads this gun does not have blow back .... just wondering IF installing a dust cover on the Pedersoli bolt would stop the blow back .... has anybody tried this ....

Archived