SASS Wire Forum

What Warbird or Warbirds would you buy if you became disgustingly rich?

Chantry

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe." :D

"The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

— Harry Reasoner, 1971

No. I got to disagree. The Apache looks a lot cooler.

I must disagree with your disagreement. :D

3oa0.jpg

ybwx.jpg

The Cobra is like the teenage toothpick girl in real skinny jeans.

The Apache has some meat on her bones but she is still agile, mobile, and hostile.

boeing_ah_64a_apache_l2.jpg

http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/boeing_ah_64a_apache_l2.jpg

The Cobra looks the part - lean, sleek, aggressive, mean to the bone.

The Apache looks like a Transformer designed by a committee. Not to say it doesn't do a fantastic job, but clearly a case of "Well, I think we should add a/more some guns/bombs/rockets/gee-whiz gadgets."

DocWard, why are we even arguing between these two fine aircraft specimens? If money is no object, why don't we just get one of each?

Why, I didn't realize we were! I thought we were simply voicing our preference.

The Cobra is like the teenage toothpick girl in real skinny jeans.

The Apache has some meat on her bones but she is still agile, mobile, and hostile.

I look at it as the difference between Ginger and Mary Ann. Just because you have a preference, doesn't mean you don't appreciate the other!

Joe, I always thought the Cobra looked almost sinister. In a good way, since it was our sinister.

Absolutely!

Now I just wish I could figure out how to post images when using this forum on an IOS device...

I can't even begin to offer help there.

Why, I didn't realize we were! I thought we were simply voicing our preference.

I look at it as the difference between Ginger and Mary Ann. Just because you have a preference, doesn't mean you don't appreciate the other!

Joe, I always thought the Cobra looked almost sinister. In a good way, since it was our sinister.

You bet. I was raised in Vista, CA. Not far from Camp Pendleton. Saw a lot of Cobras - and other assorted toys - in the air. And quite often at night heard the rumble of artillery in the distance.

With all you guys buying up all those fancy fighters, I need to gather up a few more C-47's so I can start hauling all the parts and ammo you guys are going through.

This is the first warplane I flew and had to show proficiency before I was allowed to move up to multi-engines warplanes. Believe me, warplanes are prized by the owners, and its not easy to get to the front seats. You might get signed off on a 4 engine B17 as pilot, but maybe only considered for the right seat until hours are accumulated on a 2 engine B25. They are very thorough on hours and experience behind each plane. Personally, I never did sit in the left seat of a B-25. Had only 5 hours to go in the right seat. MT

It's funny UB, I was just getting a pic of a Huey when you posted. All this talk about Cobras and Apaches is great and all, but if I were going to get a helicopter, I would want the helicopter. The iconic one.

061109-Huey-full.jpg

Texans still show up often at shows and fly-ins around here. At a fly-in last year, they had one giving rides.

IMG_0764.jpg

This is the first warplane I flew and had to show proficiency before I was allowed to move up to multi-engines warplanes. Believe me, warplanes are prized by the owners, and its not easy to get to the front seats. You might get signed off on a 4 engine B17 as pilot, but maybe only considered for the right seat until hours are accumulated on a 2 engine B25. They are very thorough on hours and experience behind each plane. Personally, I never did sit in the left seat of a B-25. Had only 5 hours to go in the right seat. MT

The "owners" being the crew chiefs. ;)

It's funny UB, I was just getting a pic of a Huey when you posted. All this talk about Cobras and Apaches is great and all, but if I were going to get a helicopter, I would want the helicopter. The iconic one.

Yup. Did everything. Took you out, brought you back, hauled your beans, kicked some ass, saved your bacon.

pop pop pop pop

A P-51 Mustang first off, then a German Stuka, then a Jap Zero, oh must have a B17, and then that german Jet fighter that they just had a few of, then the WWI Red Barron fighter. I guess that would do it for the first month, have to think a little about the next round of warbird purchases....;-)

The first helicopter I ever flew in was a Huey. And the second, come to think of it. And the third... It wasn't until a bit later that I ever got to ride in a Blackhawk, and only once was I not trussed up as a (training) casualty and strapped to a backboard and litter. The Blackhawk does have a very nice roof inside, though.

C-47/DC 3 and someone to fly it while I play with the 20mm minigun in the door.

C-47/DC 3 and someone to fly it while I play with the 20mm minigun in the door.

7.62 was the caliber of the miniguns actually.

cone_2.jpg

cone_1.jpg

7.62 was the caliber of the miniguns actually.

You play with your fantasy, I'll play with mine.

I've never seen that type of pic before, awesome,,,, and scary all at once!

Archived