SASS Wire Forum

What Warbird or Warbirds would you buy if you became disgustingly rich?

Chantry

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to watch a "Puff" work the "iron triangle" west of Bien Hoa several times. Impressive!!

I thought that was a full on cannon, not a mini.

True, it's not mini in terms of actual size. But in general concept of rotating multiple barrels you could consider it a mini's older brother! :D

I always thought the minigun got its name because it was like a Vulcan, only smaller.

Correct.

But if I did have to choose, would be the Blackhawk,, no question about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

History channel did top 10 helicopter show. I was mad the Huey was #2. The Blackhawk was #1 and it was designed by the people that flew and crewed the Hueys in 'Nam. They designed what they wished they had over there.

History channel did top 10 helicopter show. I was mad the Huey was #2. The Blackhawk was #1 and it was designed by the people that flew and crewed the Hueys in 'Nam. They designed what they wished they had over there.

There's no doubt the Blackhawk is a better bird just as the Abrams is better than the Patton, and the Mustang trumped the Airacobra. Time marches on. But any whirlybird collection that didn't include a Huey would be incomplete. ;)

There's no doubt the Blackhawk is a better bird just as the Abrams is better than the Patton, and the Mustang trumped the Airacobra. Time marches on. But any whirlybird collection that didn't include a Huey would be incomplete. ;)

Exactly.

I'd have to get a B-24 since that is what my father was flight engineer on during WW2 in the 7th aaf. Then probably the Tante Ju, Ju-57, just because it's an interesting and reliable bird.

• 1 month later...

Please forgive me for adding to a somewhat older thread, but this brings up a topic that I've had with my father who has since passed. So its also close to my heart. For me it would be one of the Hellcats probably the F6F since that's what my Dad was trained on mainly although he worked on others as well. He was Navy Aviation Ordinance and spent a little over two years on a little air strip on Russell Is. in the Solomons during WWII starting January 1943. His job was re-arming planes and bombers as they came in from bombing runs plus maintenance on the weapons. Didn't really talk much about it until about a year before his death two years ago.

After the war he transferred to the USS Helena CA-75. He had some photos taken while on board around 1947. This is the Curtiss SC Seahawk named "Linda" as it was sent off the catapult and as it came up to the skid being dragged behind the ship so it could be lifted back onboard.

linda4_zpse2b5a070.jpg
linda3_zps1fd3b25f.jpg
linda1_zps9cd6a188.jpg

And Dad on deck with hands on his hips in center of photo.

bow_zps5b02a969.jpg

To the OP question- there are two:

F-4U "Hose Nose" Corsair. Passed on the opportunity to buy one for $4,500 in 1970 - because we could not afford to keep her fed and sheltered, even for four of us (as potential young co-owners). Love the radial engine carrier fighter/attack taildgragger aircraft of WWII - this one above all!

A-4 (Heineman's Hot Rod) Super Fox or Mike. The best pure "joy of flying aircraft" I ever flew. 720degress per second roll rate, better than 1-1 thrust/weight ratio with full internal fuel, and so compact that you did not get "in" it, you "strapped it on your back"!

What Warbird would I like to have around to fly?

Heck, presently the hangar has a couple of Corsairs, a Thunderbolt, a Warhawk, and a Hurricane. They will all do close to 100 mph straight and level and have wingspans a little bigger than 5 feet. I fly 'em every weekend or so. Well, along with a couple of aerobatic models like the Extra 300 that is...

Model airplanes really do provide something special for some folks.

I know I'm replying to month old posts but...

Let's see, if any were still flyable:

Prop Driven: P-61 Black Widow followed closely by a deHavilland Mosquito. The P-61 because it has such a straight forward "get out of my way or I will shoot you in the face!" attitude, and the Mosquito because it has good lines and is such a freaky little speed demon!

Jet Propelled: A-6b Prowler followed closely by the deHavilland Vampire. Either one because they are two of the sexiest looking jets ever made.

Well, (if I could still pass a flight physical), since I had a light twin rating looong ago, I'd probably go for a P-38, a P-61 (since a member of my veterans group was a P-61 Black Widow pilot in WWII). I never flew taildraggers, but I'd love to take a crack (NO pun intended) at a P-51, but a Gooney Bird would be neat. James Garner starred in a movie, "Cash McCall" years ago, with Natalie Wood. He was a multi-millionaire (in the movie) and took her for a ride in his plane...a spiffed up B-26 Invader. (This was in the days before corporate jets.) Frankly, though, if I had the "bread" a ride on a Spaceship II, and eventually a human-qualified Dragon spacecraft.

Ad Astra!

Ah yes, almost forgot about the F7F, the Ferrari of twins, it looks fast just sitting still.

But I still like the P-61. That was one seriously armed dude that went out at night just lookin' for a fight!

The P-61 hmmm, yup, I'd add that to the list as well..... ewhhhh,, and an A-10 Warthog..... thumpa thummpa thumpa!!!

My Grandpa flew a P-61 in WWII. I can remember some stories he told, others not so much.

He loved the quad 20's, and talked about the phosphorous ammo they used to load them with. Said he shot up a Japanese barge on a river once, and flew back over it to make sure it was sinking. Said it was still burning under water.

For fixed wing aircraft... That one would definitely be my choice!

From my perspective, that of someone retired from an Army combat arms unit, there is no better looking airplane than a Warthog.

A-10 would be my second choice.

It's the pilots that make the biggest difference in the capability of an A-10 VS an F series.

Those guys were willing to come right down on the deck and get into a fight at a moments notice. The F series pilots always sounded like they were scared to descend to ID a target.

oh oh oh, and an Apache too!!

Random google image...

gallery_34773_971_110138.jpg

Apaches are awesome, but there is just something about the look of a Cobra...

The modern Cobra used by the Marines is a bad b___h! They're running dual GE701D engines now, and can outlift the Apache supposedly.

Refueling_Cobra.jpg

"The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

— Harry Reasoner, 1971

Don't think I've ever read that before. That's pretty funny!

Let us not get into a Huey vs Black Hawk discussion now.

I'll thumbs up to the Huey.

I spent a lot of years bumping around in the back of a blackhawk.

Never had the opportunity to ride in a Huey, still wish I had.

I'd love to own one.

If they can make a reproduction of this

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=reproduction+me+262&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=BC2F1A2381329866DAECBC2F1A2381329866DAEC

I am sure it is just a matter of time before we see the Stuka flying again

A-10 would be my second choice.

It's the pilots that make the biggest difference in the capability of an A-10 VS an F series.

Those guys were willing to come right down on the deck and get into a fight at a moments notice. The F series pilots always sounded like they were scared to descend to ID a target.

The Hog drivers are certainly a brave group, maybe even a little crazy. But the other consideration is the A-10 was built to get down and dirty and go into harm's way doing the CAS mission. I can't imagine an F series fighter surviving some of the damage I've seen A-10s take and make it back home again.

I've always said that if I had been a fighter pilot, I would have wanted to be an A-10 pilot.

The Hog drivers are certainly a brave group, maybe even a little crazy. But the other consideration is the A-10 was built to get down and dirty and go into harm's way doing the CAS mission. I can't imagine an F series fighter surviving some of the damage I've seen A-10s take and make it back home again.

I've always said that if I had been a fighter pilot, I would have wanted to be an A-10 pilot.

Absolutely...

A-10's are actually designed to take a hit. Gotta love 'em.

I am sure it is just a matter of time before we see the Stuka flying again

Want one, Bob...? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

To resurrect this thread once again, I found this on YouTube, and just had to share.

The plane has some history.

An F4U Corsair or how about a MiG 31 FireFox, hey I'm rich...right?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/SUPERBENITEZ/firefox2.jpg

Not just rich but filthy stinking rich. Buy'em both if you like!

Loved reading the new inputs. For who ever gets this rich, can I be the first to raise his hand to be the crew chief of these toys!!! Well trained in basic aircraft servicing, inspections, flight controls, engines, hydraulics, environmental controls, and structure (both light and heavy). Weak on instruments and electronics, but given time, I am sure I can figure it out.

Oh yea, FAA licenced as well.

All I ask is a roof over my head food in my belly and rides to shoots as needed. I also have a wife who would have to sign off on this too!!! She may ask for more!!!LOL

Loved reading the new inputs. For who ever gets this rich, can I be the first to raise his hand to be the crew chief of these toys!!! Well trained in basic aircraft servicing, inspections, flight controls, engines, hydraulics, environmental controls, and structure (both light and heavy). Weak on instruments and electronics, but given time, I am sure I can figure it out.

Oh yea, FAA licenced as well.

All I ask is a roof over my head food in my belly and rides to shoots as needed. I also have a wife who would have to sign off on this too!!! She may ask for more!!!LOL

Only if you can convince Mrs. Doc to move to Texas.

I think I would simply donate money to the CAF and other restoration groups with the proviso that I can ride whenever I want. If I want to party with my friends I'd just rent a 747 complete with flight attendants and a five star chief. Actually owning one would require I fuss with maintenance and upkeep.

Bugs

If it happens, give me chance. We really love our portion of Texas we live in!!

There are currently no P-61's flying, but the Mid Atlantic Air Museum is in the process of restoring one to flight status:

http://www.maam.org/p61.html

Yeah, I've been watching that site.

Archived