SASS Wire Forum

generators

Trigger Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm probably no help at this...

We have a noisy gas generator (lots of power outages in our sparsely populated area). It keeps the dog up and pacing at night. So, when I got a trailer and needed a generator, we got a Honda 6400. That way it could run the house at night.

Now, Hubby wants a propane generator that will run the house.

So, all I have to say is buy the biggest generator that will meet all of your needs, even if it costs more. It's bound to be cheaper than three generators in the long run. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie

How much power do I need to run a typical home and well in case of power outage? Do they make diesel? Am I better off with the expense of an on demand propane?

A lot of things to consider - are you going to run A/C or electric heat (~8000-25,000w, depending on climate)? Electric dryer (~4400w)? Electric water heater (~3800w)? Electric range (2000+w)? Dishwasher (~3600w)? Even a two slice toaster or drip coffeemaker will take 1000w or more each. Every now and then, everything might be running all at once if you don't ration or allot your power, so... oh... 25,000-50,000w.

THIS SITE will give you some general averages for many electrical appliances.

Since the big storm Sandy, last year, people here have been stocking up on generators. All types (gas, propane, diesel) have been sold. The problem with them, as was demonstrated last year, is that they all rely on energy sources that have to be replenished from outside sources. Some people spent more time on gas lines for fuel than running the generators, since the gas supplies were not delivered qickly. The one best way to do it, if you can afford it, is a natural gas generator. Highly unlikely that gas transmission lines will be damaged.

I work for an electric utility....let me add one thing to what everyone else has said there. If you buy a generator large enough for your house please make sure that you have a proper transfer switch installed so that when you engage your generator power to the house the electric utility service is disengaged.

Three reasons....the first is safety. Our linemen are out working to clear the power outage on what is a electric line that is out of power. If you power up your generator and backfeed into our lines you might energize a section of the high voltage line where our linemen are working. This is a safety hazard.

The second reason is not to cause damage to your generator. If our lines have a fault on them and you engage your generator power and backfeed out system you'll find that your generator will also be feeding a faulted line. Hopefully the overload protection on your generator will disengage your generator so that it will not be damaged by feeding a faulted line.

The third reason is if our line is not hot but there is not fault on the line, when you engage your generator power you will not only be feeding your house but every other house on the section of line that is not energized....you'll be feeding your neighbors houses as well. You'll find that your generator will be overloaded very quickly. In all likelihood it will trip the breaker in the generator on overload.

Buy what you need but don't forget to allow costs for a proper isolation switch to connect it to your house electrical service.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 9, 2013 - Could be unsafe.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 9, 2013 - Could be unsafe.

An electrician where I work showed me how to make connections for a portable generator so you can't feed back into the grid. He took welding lead, put a plug on one end so he could plug it into the generator, then on the other ends he put copper pipe, hammered it flat. During an outage he would pull the meter, then stab the flattened copper pipe into the meter receptacles.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 9, 2013 - Addresses the hidden post.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 9, 2013 - Addresses the hidden post.

An electrician where I work showed me how to make connections for a portable generator so you can't feed back into the grid. He took welding lead, put a plug on one end so he could plug it into the generator, then on the other ends he put copper pipe, hammered it flat. During an outage he would pull the meter, then stab the flattened copper pipe into the meter receptacles.

:huh:

Wrong on so many levels.

I have Class II unrestricted license in GA. Never mind. I won't even make a comment on this.

I looked at a whole house unit tied into the gas line on the side of the house. The gentleman and I worked out the idea that they are like gun safes. Always buy a little bigger than you think you need. I'm still trying to justify spending that much money at this point. Very expensive.

I looked at a whole house unit tied into the gas line on the side of the house. The gentleman and I worked out the idea that they are like gun safes. Always buy a little bigger than you think you need. I'm still trying to justify spending that much money at this point. Very expensive.

Hi Gen.,

Losing all your groceries is expensive too.

Regards,

Allie Mo

A few years ago I had a standby generator installed. I sized out the house needs at about 10 kW then ordered a 14 kW unit so I'd have some room for expansion later. It's a Propane unit that is tied to the house propane tank, with a whole house transfere switch. It has an automatic weekly test cycle and if the power goes out, it's up and running, and powering the house inside of 30 seconds. Best money I ever spent. As I said, this was a few years ago and it ran about $6000 installed. Sense then it has saved me through three winter power failures, one lasting 36 hours, and a couple summer power failures the longest was 6-8 hours.

Mine is a Generac unit and I recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking for one of their own. Look for a dealer in your area.

:)

Sams had a Hondo electric start 8000 for $999.00

I have a 5000 watt unit that I hooked up just after Christmas last year for a long outage. I can tell you from experience that if your neighborhood is completely black and your running Christmas lights -your neighbors get really peed off!

I have a 5000 watt unit that I hooked up just after Christmas last year for a long outage. I can tell you from experience that if your neighborhood is completely black and your running Christmas lights -your neighbors get really peed off!

I bet.

When we changed our CB panel, we added the ability to hook up a generator which powers half our house (living room, fridge, TV & satellite), car port with 2 freezers, and our well pump. We also added a gas range and heater in the living room. All the folks around us thought we had wasted a lot of money. 2 months later with about 6" of snow on the ground, we lost power for about 12 hours. We were good and then became the envy of everyone. That summer, quite a few folks added generators. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

My Generac propane fired was the exception to the high-quality rule.

It was broken when it arrived.

New carburetor fixed the problem.

Then, post warranty, it got to kicking out on low oil pressure.

Problem is a design flaw with the oil system, had it happened under warranty I would have a new engine and it would still be installed.

I am tired of fighting with it.

It failed me when I needed it most.

It's disconnected now and pulled loose,

I have battery backup on the sump pump and come winter will have a Honda gasoline to run the furnace and the sump pump.

With Obamas war on coal, the question is, will we have scheduled outages?

I like the Kohler units better than Generac mainly for the engines.

In the residential line up to 20 KV they use Kohler engines. 20 kv and higher use GM engines from the 1.6 L 4 cylinder allt he way up to the 8.8 L (496 CU) V8).

Kohler vs Generac is roughly about $500 more for the Kohler 20 kv range.

If you live in California and the size is >25Kw you have the added reocurring cost of requiring a Permit to Operate from the local air quality Nazi's. Also, beware of sellers from outside the state since many engines, 50 horsepower and bigger can't legally be operated in the state.

Another recommendation is to use propane or diesel if you live out on the Left Coast: because, when a large earthquake hits, the natural gas supply is automatically shut-off.

P.S. Generac has a simple sizing tool for residential applications at http://www.generac.com/Residential/Sizer/

With Obamas war on coal, the question is, will we have scheduled outages?

I like the Kohler units better than Generac mainly for the engines.

In the residential line up to 20 KV KW they use Kohler engines. 20 kv KW and higher use GM engines from the 1.6 L 4 cylinder allt he way up to the 8.8 L (496 CU) V8).

Kohler vs Generac is roughly about $500 more for the Kohler 20 kv KW range.

There Dirty Dan....I fixed your post :blink:

...and the answer to your question is no, we won't have to schedule outages if coal gets tight as long as we can build natural gas pipelines to power plants we should be good until that idiot savant runs out of his term and his welcome in DC.

One very important point is that you should really get a qualified / licensed electrician to install the switch over devices.

He can also help figure out what your realistic load is.

Most likely he will have an idea of what the code is in your area for installation and configuration of a generator.

As the Krazy Kajun said, make sure the switch over device is installed.

When we changed our CB panel, we added the ability to hook up a generator which powers half our house (living room, fridge, TV & satellite), car port with 2 freezers, and our well pump. We also added a gas range and heater in the living room. All the folks around us thought we had wasted a lot of money. 2 months later with about 6" of snow on the ground, we lost power for about 12 hours. We were good and then became the envy of everyone. That summer, quite a few folks added generators. LOL

My home has a plug for an electric generator it is a 220 plug. the prior owner had a gas generator, but it was a small one. I tried to ask him about it but he claimed ignorance.

Archived