SASS Wire Forum

Yes, the Feds ARE drying up ammo supplies

Yep those nasty feds have bought all the 22LR ammo for shooting those pesky crickets keeping Homeland Security folks from getting a good night sleep while on stake outs. :wacko: You will note that none of the reporters have actually asked those companies with government ammo contracts what percent of their current 24/7 production actually goes to the government.

It wouldn't make sense, to me anyway, to shut down a 22LR assembly line to concentrate on Gov't. contract centerfire ammunition unless you were understaffed & shuffling employees to staff an additional shift. I can see the Gov't. contract(s) affecting primer supply in the immediate future as well as availability of loaded centerfire ammunition until the contract is satisfied.

I do know that if Congress cannot mandate accountability for these purchases that we might be in for a long, dry summer and then some.

Pertaining to 22LR availability, this is not a niche market & if the greatest ammunition manufacturing companies in the world can not or will not satisfy the market demand it is akin to saying they don't care about profit. If they are publicly traded they will face accountability from their respective boards & investors.

My view from the outside is that when we see suppliers start accepting back orders & .22 on the Wal Mart shelf in the PM the crunch will be over, I just hope the prices aren't forever jacked.

Guest Texas Jack Black

It is little wonder the LIBS are winning this battle on Gun control Where does this garbage come from and who believes it.?

Federal says:

http://www.federalpremium.com/company/faq.aspx

DHS is a quick villain to blame. Demand is flat out just outstripping supply. Until those that think buying ammo is like gold coins it will take a while for things to level out.

In the meantime those of us that like to throw a thousand rounds downrange a month get to suffer.

This is me rolling my eyes. Again. :rolleyes:

I wish this "fact" would hurry up and die already. Do you know how many times a day I get this same question asked? Sometimes I want to slap somebody but I usually end up rolling my eyes. For anyone else that wants to believe this, think on this for a moment. If ALL the major ammunition manufacturers decided to fill this "government contract" first instead of making ammo for the rest of us, they would be doing so at the sacrifice of millions upon millions of dollars in profit. The government buys ammo (and everything else) as cheaply as they can because they buy in bulk. If you make ammo for profit, who would you rather service? The government at $0.03 a round or the general public at $0.10 to $1.00 a round? Even the math challenged can get this one without assistance. The collective boards of directors would be tossed out on their backsides if they sacrificed that much $$ to be earned by their stockholders.

And we won't even mention that every ammunition manufacturer has already stated that the total output going to the government amounts to LESS than 5% of what's being produced. So, one more time....the reason we don't have any ammo is 90 million gun owners are all trying to buy it at the same time. Panic and hoarding are the answer. Nothing more sinister.

This is not new. Every time we have a left leaning POTUS this has happened to some degree. Through Carter Clinton and now Obamo we had this panic buying of guns and ammo. The difference this time is it had started somewhat slowly when Obamo was re-elected in Nov but when the school shooting happened in December and the AWB talk was rekindled many more folks, knowing the AWB had passed before under Clinton, they started buying. Within days the AR and AK type guns doubled in price and ammo supplies dwindled quickly.

Another contributing factor was the timing. Many of the distributors were already dwindling there stocks of guns and ammo because the shotshow in January was just a few weeks away. All the gun makers and ammo makers are there and this is when the new gun and related supplies are ordered. Normally the distributors would have some stock on hand until the new orders come. Not this time.

I do think we are on the down hill side of this. I'm seeing the AR's and AK prices starting to come back to normal levels. And, just like the last big run on ammo the bottleneck is primers. When the primer making lines can catch up this too will pass. Sadly though just like the last rush the prices will come down but not to the previous levels.

We need the NRA equivalent to old Ronny Raygun. When the sky was falling economically thirty years ago, unemployment and inflation through the damned roof when he took office he told us "calm down. Go about your business. Just go to work, take your kids to the lake, it'll all be ok" and it was. People need to just calm the hell down and stop buying every box of ammo in walmart whether they plan to shoot it before 2050 or not..... I garnadammteeya you do DO NOT need a brick of .22 LR in case of a zombie apocalypse.. You just don't.

But I'm still wondering... WHERE are the foreign primers? Many of us have had orders out for months for non-US primers and they just never show up. There should be at least sporadic infusions as a boatload of wolf, cheddite, tula, magtec or whatever hits the shores. It's like they aren't even arriving.

All other components and reloading supplies are spotty but can be found with a little patience, but primers are going to halt all of us by summer if something doesn't change. I'm not sure I'm willing to shoot out every Federal primer we have just for CAS.

And none of this explains .22lr availability. It's got to simply be more people and new people shooting... a lot. Friends of mine who shoot Speed Steel and Steel Challenge are just plain running out of 22. There isn't any and if you find it the scalping price is a joke. You can reload 38 cheaper. If you can find primers.

I'm all for rolling the eyes, but if you like to shoot in competition this is getting to be a problem. You don't want to just "quit and wait it out."

And none of this explains .22lr availability.

Simple explanation is cost and reward. .22 LR retails around $2.00 a box of 50, or about $0.04 a round. .38 Special retails around $15.00 a box of 50, or about $0.30 a round. Which would you want to make more of? If you assume manufactures can make ammo at approx. half the cost it retails at, where is the money at? Sure, it only costs them $0.02 to make each .22LR round, but they only make $0.02 on each round they sell. .38 Special is 7.5 times more profitable to make than rimfire. Add in that EVERYONE is buying everything not nailed down at their local store (and even ripping up the floorboards and buying them!!), you get shortages and hoarding.

So, if everyone will take a giant deep breath, calm down, have a beer or two and relax, this too shall pass.

Simple explanation is cost and reward. .22 LR retails around $2.00 a box of 50, or about $0.04 a round. .38 Special retails around $15.00 a box of 50, or about $0.30 a round. Which would you want to make more of? If you assume manufactures can make ammo at approx. half the cost it retails at, where is the money at? Sure, it only costs them $0.02 to make each .22LR round, but they only make $0.02 on each round they sell. .38 Special is 7.5 times more profitable to make than rimfire. Add in that EVERYONE is buying everything not nailed down at their local store (and even ripping up the floorboards and buying them!!), you get shortages and hoarding.

So, if everyone will take a giant deep breath, calm down, have a beer or two and relax, this too shall pass.

Eggzackly! I wanna see the bottom drop out and them folks buying .22s and primers at case lot prices during the panic lose their azz. Ask anyone in the lumber biz, you don't wanna be the guy who takes delivery of a truckload of plywood the day after the last bunch of houses gets boarded up following a hurricane, and LOWES re-opens at everyday low prices....

Howdy,

So who knows where I can get any Remington sub sonic?

I have ezzactly two boxes left and my favorite 10/22s love the stuff.

Who hordes .22 subsonic?

Best

CR

I'n not hoarding .22 ammo. I'm just building up my supply so I will be able to fend off the DHS midgets when they come to confiscate the guns that I don't have any of in the first place.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Howdy,

Who hordes .22 subsonic?

Best

CR

Subsonic people :D

Howdy,

Who hordes .22 subsonic?

Best

CR

Hitmen do?

KK

I enjoyed the reprint above and see no less bonafideez, my God it is even supported by first hand videos! That is akin to DF claiming she does not really want gun confiscation when the video is all over the place with her openly stating that she wants every gun ever made banned to the public! Of interest is the quote, half way down the page, by one Colorado politico that there was a belief that the state would receive federal rewards for pushing through gun control. Guys, how many Americans do you really believe are hoarding 45Colt or 44-40 ammunition? At some point, when everything we are being assured of, keeps smelling worse than $#!+, perhaps we need to start questioning that which we are being fed!

Every time I go to a big box store like Walmart, Rural King, Meijer or Dicks I go check their supply of ammo. I also notice 2 or 3 guys just like me checking their supply of ammo. This goes on all day. A trail of middle aged guys wandering past the ammo case to gaze upon the empty shelves. When they do get something in it gets snapped up within minutes. It is going to be a long time before things are back to normal.

Excellent observation & true. I've been tracking this issue on Rimfire Forums & there is much the same conclusion with emphasis on the fact that there is a lot of panic obsessive, compulsive buying by folks who would only purchase & use a brick in a total year who now are seeking a lifetime supply "just in case". Red, I just hope you don't start panic buying on beer then we would have a mess on our hands.

My Dear Departed father used to tell me that during prohibition people who were normally 99% dry would travel 50 miles to buy bootleg just to keep it in stock. Same human quirk, different times I guess.

Excellent observation & true. I've been tracking this issue on Rimfire Forums & there is much the same conclusion with emphasis on the fact that there is a lot of panic obsessive, compulsive buying by folks who would only purchase & use a brick in a total year who now are seeking a lifetime supply "just in case". Red, I just hope you don't start panic buying on beer then we would have a mess on our hands.

My Dear Departed father used to tell me that during prohibition people who were normally 99% dry would travel 50 miles to buy bootleg just to keep it in stock. Same human quirk, different times I guess.

OH MY GOD! THEY ARE CUTTING BEER PRODUCTION?.......i bet its the government, i heard they just brokered a deal with anheiser busch and miller/coors for a 12 year multi billion can deal! I better hit the daggone quicki-mart soon as i can and stock up......i brew my own so i better buy a ton of yeast toooooooooooo!.......im sending this as confirmed to every web site i know!

FYI, from the SASS Wire Guidelines "SASS Wire Moderators have the authority to Close Topics and are directed to do so when the message:• Is beating a dead horse;• Is instigating in nature;• Contains good and valuable information but is heading in a non-productive direction;• Point is clearly made, both sides had their say or a truce or mutual understanding is made."

Archived