SASS Wire Forum

What the Hay?

Tucson John

Missed out on an nice Uberti 1873 cause the guy wouldn't give me a bill of sale? What? What if the gun was stolen? I had to go thru the Border Patrol stop to get home and what if they look at it? Guy claimed he bought it without a bill of sale so I should too. Had to walk away - esp since wife was holding the green stuff and she likes receipts. I ain't naming names, so don't ask. Did I do the guy wrong? Oh, yeah, I drove 100 mi for this deal and sure didn't expect that hammer blow. What say, ye all? Tucson John

You have every right to ask for and receive a bill of sale or receipt.

If not you did the right thing by walking. Another lever will come along there are a lot out there.

I'm pretty sure I would not buy or sell a gun without going thru a FFL or at minimum a notorized bill of sale. I don't want to be explaining to some LEO that I bought the gun from ole sneaky snake ( don't know his real name, but he's a heck of a nice feller) at a CAS match a couple of years ago. Come to think of it, I ain't seen ole sneaky since I bought the gun from him. Or worse find out that a gun I sold to a good ole Boy who responded to a craigslst ad used the gun to get even with his ex for filing that restraining order.

When you decide to own a gun, you have to be resonsible for it.

(and if there is a "sneaky snake" out there, please accept my apology and have a root beer on me!)

You could have taken the serial number and gone to the local 'po-po' and had them check it.

Did you offer to write out a BOS and have him just sign it?

IF, that seller balked at that. Then you did the SMART thing and left.

LG

Well, I pretty well know the seller is upright and is a well known feller in SASS by reputation. Don't actually know nothing about his business dealings, however. The fact is I was pretty unknown to him and a novice (at 65+ yrs old!) looking into joining up and maybe shooting cowboy. So I had typed a bill of sale -he only had to initial and put his SASS# and alias. My name as sold to was on the bill of sale and I would have shown a DL if asked. We each would have gotten a copy - one to protect me from a stolen gun and one to protect him from selling it to a disreputable character if I was such or if I had then handed over the gun to some criminal. Seemed fair to me.

He wouldn't do it, stating he didn't want no paper trail and he hadn't bought it with any paper. My take is that he just had that idea set in his mind and that was that. So, we both walked away. I don't feel so bad about walking as i feel it was right for me to do and you guys encourage me in that. Just sure hated to pass up that purty case hardened beauty I could be holding and admiring. Planned on shooting it on the way home too.

Thanks, guys and gals for your support. And, iffin "Old Stubborn" (not real alias)reads this, guess what, no hard feelings here. The wife enjoyed the long drive and says I can buy a new one! Not sure the new ones are so nice, however, but I'll be looking at 'em.

Thanks, Tucson John

Folks get some funny ideas about a "paperwork trail".It's America (so far) so you get to do that. Bottom line is:

It's his rifle, if he doesn't like the deal, it's his right to refuse to sell.

It's your money, if you don't like the deal, it's your right to walk away

No harm, no foul, no air medal

If I was selling a firearm and the buyer asked for a BoS. No problem. If I was buying and asked for one and the seller didn't want to give me one I would walk away also. The BoS protects both parties involved. Especially in a face to face with no FFL involved.

I've bought and sold quite a few used guns from cowboys and never asked for a BOS nor has anyone asked me for one.

:) Rye

I have bought and sold rifles and shotguns without paperwork. Here in CT handguns have to go through an FFL. But if the buyer asks me for bill of sale I would give him one. I have even signed a bill of sale for a seller because he wanted one. Rifles and shotguns are the only thing in CT that don't have to go through an FFL in a face to face sale. So far anyway.

You did right by walking. I have purchased long guns and pistols ftf with no paperwork. Unless the other party is a personal friend I always offer my drivers lic to the seller or the buyer if I am the one selling.

On handguns I always ask to see the sellers drivers lic. No one has every refused to provide identification and a couple of times we did a formal bill of sale.

In todays world it makes sense to protect both parties.

Well, I want to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions. I sorta didn't know where I stood having bought only 3 or so guns in 10 yrs and one was a cap 1858 from Cabelas and one antique rifle from a private party by mail. Anyways, I like the pards idea of having the police check if it was stolen. I suppose they don't even need to know anyones names to do this if it some old paranoid geezer seller (to use kind words). Course our deal was on a Sunday and I drove 100 mi to get there after seeing the gun on this forum and emails and phone calls exchanged plus I was paying the top end price and trusted his description that it was nice (which it was to my mind). Just didn't like the surprise and would be really po'd except the wife was happy to go for the drive down there and eat at Burger King on the way. I can also understand SASS pards just trading/selling when they know each other and and no bs (bill of sale) when they know the guy had a gun for ages in his safe or just got it and changed his mind and other such situations where they know and trust each other. Plus my bleeping van gets 15mph plus so go figure what nearly 200 miles costs.

The way the guy reacted I'd figure it was a stolen gun except him being SASS and such i think he is just a half crazy ol' cow geezer - was older 'n me by gosh. With a rep like his the whole US Gov. would be afraid to touch him so don't know why he was worried about a "paper trail" ! just one of them mysteries. Thanks to ya'll. Tucson John

Hay Hoss. there's another way at looking at it. Because this is the USA you can have paper. Having a paper discourages 'ol snake eyes from fencing stolen goods. Also, discourages felons and others from buy a gun from you.

In some countries you can't have paper because guns are illegal, therefore all sales have to be paperless for fear you might be turned in or they come get your gun by following the paper trail. Not so here in the great USA with the freedom to have paper, and the responsibility to do so to.

To my mind, not asking for paper just encourages illegal activity. Ya know, I hate paper and burocracy but sometimes ya just got to do what is right and makes right even if ya got to grit yer teeth to do it. Keep on nailing them shoes. Tucson John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

This thread has been brought to my attention.

It is best to keep the Classified for buying and selling, not Q&A. As long as the seller or buyer is not named, these hypothetical discussions are welcome on the Wire.

As John has his answers, I'll let it just fade away rather than moving it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I've bought and sold quite a few used guns from cowboys and never asked for a BOS nor has anyone asked me for one.

:) Rye

Same Here!

Sorry Allie, I didn't see your post.

Ya know, I drove over a hundred miles to buy the pistol after seeing it on this forum and emailing the guy and talking by phone and agreeing to the sale. So, when I get there and ready to hand over the gold and mention that my wife made out a bill of sale (one for each of us) and the so-called cowboy goes weird and gruffly replies, "I ain't selling it if it has a paper trail" and then slams the door, what am I suppose to do? I tell the wife, well, lets go and we walk away is what I do. What else can I do?

Hope this helps some fellers making deals on this forum, as it is information important to buying and selling - and I sure appreciate the support of most of you.

If I was selling a firearm and the buyer asked for a BoS. No problem. If I was buying and asked for one and the seller didn't want to give me one I would walk away also. The BoS protects both parties involved. Especially in a face to face with no FFL involved.

Same here, just CYA after all.

Archived